Professional Development for Paras?

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by teresaglass, Dec 10, 2013.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 10, 2013

does you school or district have professional development for paras. I think we need it to do our job properly. At my school, we do not have professional development unless it is a school wide event for all staff or it involves state testing. We supervise students when the teacher have their professional development. I wish we had something once in a while. I have to do bathroom supervision and it gets boring sometimes.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2013

Our district offers quite a bit of para PD. I agree with you that it is valuable training. Our paras receive stipends for their training.

4. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Dec 12, 2013

In my district we don't participate in the teacher in-services and we don't attend faculty meetings. I was still trying to find a position as a teacher last summer, but one of my para co-workers tells me that there was an in-service specifically for paras offered last August by the state.

We have been invited to participate in the district bonus pay for this year. We are all part-time at my school, so we can earn up to $84 extra in our June paycheck if we set a PD goal and track our progress throughout the year. I think all the paras at my school are participating.

I would like to see more PD offered to paras. I think it really depends on the school at this point. Where I did my student teaching (same district), paras were included in all aspects of the school and attended all in-services.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 12, 2013

6. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Dec 15, 2013

In my district, paras have two in-services a year. We had one in October and I found it really helpful.