"Professional" curly hair?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by frtrd, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 28, 2013

I also have naturally curly hair that I straighten most of the time. When you go curly, there is always a risk of frizzies, fly-aways and just all out hair-insanity.

To combat this, I almost always have a hair band around my wrist or in my pocket and a couple bobby pins even on straight hair days.

I've always felt like, regardless of the texture, as long as hair isn't standing up and going in different directions, it looks professional.

When I want more "polished" curls that won't go bananas (and I have the time for it) I wash my hair, put the teeniest bit of tea tree oil (my hair tends to fall on the dryer side), comb/brush it through that section and then I spray on a holding spray. I then immediately roll my hair up to the root.

The next morning when I take my hair a loose, my curls are well defined, not frizzy and shiny. I separate them gently with my fingers (pulling them apart, not combing a loose) and they usually last for a good 2 - 3 days before I have to wash and start over.

It looks really good, but again, it takes me like 2 hours, so I don't do it very often.

Sally's Beauty Supply has a lot of rollers that are good for making spiral and other types of curls. I wouldn't recommend doing it with sponge rollers or those hard, pink ones

2. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

EmCatz, what is a holding spray? The same as hair spray? I need to learn how to keep my hairstyle for more than one day.

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 28, 2013

Hey,
    Holding spray is basically any kind of hair spray that keeps your hair in place. Sometimes they'll say "holding" and sometimes it'll say "shaping" or something about freezing a hair style in place.

The one I use is Tressame "Tres Two Extra Hold". I find that hair spray dries my hair out and can make it feel hard, so the tea tree oil kind of combats that, so my curls are "stiff" enough to last a couple days, but they're not rock hard.

Here's the link to the product: http://tinyurl.com/kj8b43j, but you can buy it from pretty much anywhere (WalMart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc)

The tea tree oil I buy looks super dinky and like some cheap off-brand (to me anyway) but it works really well and so far I've only seen it at Target. Here's a link if you're curious: http://tinyurl.com/n4gltbc

I used to get a really itchy scalp and have dandruff, so I started putting tea tree oil in a bottle with a small tip (the kind you'd use for hair color) and I section my hair into pieces and squirt a little tea tree on my scalp and rub it in. My head feels much better and I don't get dandruff anymore

:hijack: (Sorry to ramble, but I love talking about hair, lol)

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 28, 2013

EmCatz, does the oil have a strong smell? Tea tree oil nauseates me, but it has so many beneficial properties. I give my hair and scalp a coconut oil treatment every couple of weeks. It works great, but is super messy.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 28, 2013

Tea tree oil smells similar to eucalyptus, IMO.

It's good for scalp issues, but you can use other oils just for smoothing. Really anything, even small amounts of the coconut oil that you already have. I like this product a lot: http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3560027

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Dec 29, 2013

I have long, naturally curly hair, however I change the style between straight and curly all the time. I've never had anything negative said to me about it..except from my students when it becomes frizzy!

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 29, 2013

Thanks EmKatz!

I went to Walgreen's and bought the hairspray. There were so many kinds I was very thankful for the recommendation. I got the lightest hold, hoping it will look natural, even if it doesn't hold for days on end.

One really nice thing to wash your hair with is honey. Sounds messy but it is surprisingly very much not messy. It has antiseptic properties. It also makes your hair really shiny and pretty.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2013

I don't think many people will notice that it's not natural and no one will really think anything of it.