"Professional" curly hair?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by frtrd, Dec 27, 2013.

1. frtrd

frtrd Rookie

Dec 27, 2013

I'm starting student teaching soon and have a question about hair. I have pin-straight hair that I am not particularly fond of. Throughout all of college I have curled it at least 3 days a week (I would curl it every day if I had the time).

I would like to continue curling it but I am worried about it not looking "professional" because of the way I curl it. I have long hair and a LOT of hair, and I favor rather "intense" looking curls. My curled hair usually looks a bit wild as a result ... This photo is a rough approximation: http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/5125/410757-serafina_pekkala_large.jpg

Now if this were my natural hair I wouldn't be worried, but since I alter between straight and curly I am worried that my curly 'do would be seen as "unprofessional" because I am deliberately changing my natural hair into something unusual. (In my defense I will note that I do a very good job curling it, and if I curled it every single day then the hairstyle could absolutely pass as my natural hair.) Does anyone have any opinions? Not sure if I am being paranoid about this.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2013

I have teacher friends who come in with a new hair style almost every day. As long as your hair is neat and clean, I don't think you will have a problem with your curls. I think it is quite pretty!

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 27, 2013

Most people are not going to pay that much attention to your hair.

5. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Dec 27, 2013

I am personally not fond of the hairstyle you posted (it's much too frizzy and unkempt for my taste), but it's certainly not so far out of the norm that it would cause people to pass judgment about you.

6. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 27, 2013

I think curly hair can absolutely be professional (natural or not), but the photo you posted looks pretty messy/just rolled out of bed. Can you apply some product to tone down the flyaways a little bit?

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 27, 2013

I'm your counterpart with naturally curly hair but I straighten it. No one ever said one word about me straightening my hair, even though I have deliberately changed the look of it. I think you have nothing to worry about.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 27, 2013

I have naturally curly hair like that and I keep it that way almost every day. Sometimes I use a little product to tame the frizz, but not always. No-one's ever said anything. You're fine.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2013

I actually like that hair precisely because it looks natural. I know you're creating this look, but I don't believe a person should ever feel obligated to slather product in their hair. Or face.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

I have never heard of hair being an issue. Keep it clean and you should be fine.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2013

Eh, that's what my hair naturally looks like. There's no product that can tame it on high humidity days. Don't worry about. If you feel confident, you'll project confidence.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 28, 2013

Mine too. No biggie.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

I agree with Bumble, it's not for me, but then again I don't think it would be an appropriate style for me. But, if you can rock it, rock it. I don't think anyone would say anything.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

This goes to show we seem to want what we don't have. The pic shows a lot of frizz which is something I've spent a lot of time and money eliminating from my own look. LOL..

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 28, 2013

How do they know you don't have naturally curly hair that you straighten sometimes? :) Really, it doesn't matter at all. Don't worry about it.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

I straighten ... I curl... I tie it back in a pony tail... I pull half of it back with bobby pins... as long as it is not greasy or infested with lice (it can happen!) you are good to go.