Productive Friday

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 11, 2009

Anyone else being crazy productive? I'm off today, and I feel like a machine! I was at a very, very intense conference M-W, and took yesterday to just lay on the couch and do pretty much nothing all day. Glad I stored my energy-zooom!!!

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2009

This is NOT me today. lol

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

I'm off every day and still don't seem to get too much done. I went to Big Lots today; that was my big accomplishment!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 11, 2009

Funny how you take being off for granted until you don't have that time anymore. When I was off, all I could think about was getting another job. Now I'd be very happy to just be home all day so I could relax and get things done...

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 11, 2009

I am off--it has been a year. I love it. I am forcing myself to get up by 10 each morning. It is so cold!! I don't want to give up the nice warm bed. And, I hate cleaning house. But, at least today I have spaghetti sauce simmering. My laundry is in the garage, and it is so cold out there, that I have avoided doing laundry. I hardly ever get much done--as there is tomorrow.

7. reverie

reverie Companion

Dec 11, 2009

Yay Jem! I've been getting a lot done today too since I'm home.. sick... lol I think it's hard to be productive around the house if you're trying to find a job. I was in that position last year and was so focused on finding a job that the housework went on the back burner.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2009

You're off today and you've been at a conference this week-I'm sure the break has given you time to rest and reflect..valuable time for any professional educator. How are things progressing with your student? Were you able to see her this week?

I've had a productive week myself. In a class of 19 second graders, I have:

taught some new problem solving strategies in math

conferred with students in their personal narrative writing

wrapped up a character study in reading

taught personal geography locii: address, town, county, state, country, continent

individualized instruction in content areas

worked collaboratively with grade level and special ed professionals

reinforced concepts of health and personal care during this cold and flu season

read books and poems of holiday traditions- focus on appreciating diversity

Outside of school:
    Tutored after school for 11 hours

decorated my house for the holidays

holiday baking

general 'house stuff'

Power walked at least 20 minutes every day plus at leat 30 minutes on the stationary bike

Plus all the regular family stuff, household upkeep, holiday preparations, professional obligations....

Productive week? Yeah...I rarely have a week that isn't. That's my life. I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2009

Kinda/sorta.

Of course, I got a lot done at school, but that kinda doesn't count. We have 4 teaching days left before exams begin; I don't have any choice about productivity. Today I gave my last test of the trimester; it's graded and entered into my grade book. The kids all have a review sheet.

My Algebra exams are Xeroxed; a friend will do the Geometry over the weekend.

My Christmas shopping is all done and almost all wrapped. I could still use one or 2 stocking stuffers. I need to get candy for the trays we'll drop off Christmas Eve to the fire and police stations (but I can't buy that too soon or we'll eat it.) THaving Christmas done is HUGE.

My cards are all mailed (just about 100 of them.) That's another big job.

The kids all have Christmas outfits.

Tomorrow I'm having a party-- my mom, sisters, and some friends, figure about 15 of us-- for a gift exchange.

We can't put up the tree (or even my nativity scene) till after the party; the tree takes up too much room. And the only place to keep the nativity scene safe from the puppy will be taken by the coffee urn.

My house is messy. The downstairs bathroom is pretty much a swamp.

I have chocolate covered pretzels. ANd I made a cake. Oh, and one of my friends just called and told me she'll make spinach dip. And one of my sisters is bringing a veggie tray and a dessert. Oh, and we have some wine, I have to check and see whether we need more. I have coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, though I need whipped cream for the hot chocolate.

That's it.

So tomorrow morning I'll hit BJs and get all the rest of what I need. Kira is sleeping over a friend's tonight, but Brian is having a friend sleep over, so at least up to now it's zero-sum. (Julia is the great unknown; staying "late" at a friend's with permission; we'll see whether or not that becomes a sleepover as well.

I need to finish the Christmas curtains that Julia and I are making. The bases are done; I need to do the valances tonight.

Laundry isn't caught up, of course, with 3 kids it almost never is. But everyone has clean socks and undies; that will do until Sunday when I'll really hit it hard.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

I've gotten basically nothing done today. I cleaned out the fridge, but only because it got a little smelly with old leftovers, and cleaned out the litter box because I'm uptight about doing that at least 3 times a day. Oh, I've done a load of laundry. Yeah, not very productive.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2009

school COUNTS. At least 7 hours a day, 5 days a week IN school plus whatever you do before/after your contracted hours. Do the math (or assign it for homework) times however many students you have. ..it's A LOT of productive time.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2009

Sure, but I have no choice-- I HAVE to be productive at school. It's the end of the marking period; there are no options.

It's like my kids' homework and getting them bathed and going to Brian's concert last night and packing the lunches and the snacks and all the rest... that stuff has to get done. It's not negotiable.

I don't count it as "productive" -- it's what I do every day, kind of like brushing my teeth.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2009

There are no options...love that. You go above and beyond for the kids you teach every day, Alice...it's what you do. It's what many professional educators do...we're more than productive. It's what we do. Daily. 5 days a week. 180 days a year. No options other than meeting student needs, raising the bar, differentiating instruction, delivering core content standards in ways that reach all learners (I have 19, how many do you have?) . That's our bottom line- yeah, we're productive.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2009

How many do I have?
    Homeroom: 41 (and my homeroom is a real piece of work this year!!)

But in terms of teaching: 135 kids every single day. One class Algebra, 3 Geometry.

SAT classes: 3 classes that rotate throughout my schedule: 108

My study hall (in the cafeteria 8th period) ranges from a low of 150 to a high of 225 kids. I'm one of 4 teachers there each day, but I'm the one "in charge." On day C I have an extra study hall of 24 Juniors in a classroom 6th period.

I'm also on call a bunch of periods per week. That means I could end up covering anything from 6th grade to 12th in any subject.

Oh, and I have a Sodality group after school every Monday. And I'm on the commitee that makes up the high school entrance exam.

After school, there's extra help just about every day.

Yeah, when you think about it, I guess school does count.

It's a lot of things, but it certainly isn't dull.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2009

Wow. Dull, no? Rewarding, most of the time...exhausting? yes, but who has time for a nap, not me...not you, I'm sure. Happy weekend, Alice! (I'm sure your weekend is full too!)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2009

Oops, you got me going-- I added!

OK, Jem, now that you've gotten me started I feel like I deserve a day off :)

Not gonna happen, but hey, I can dream!