Product Creation!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by LoVe 2 TcH, Oct 19, 2010.

1. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Oct 19, 2010

I teach 8th grade English and Social Studies. I want my kids to create a product that they believe they need in their lives. First, through a descriptive writing piece, than actually survey to see if there is a need for it, and finally lead into a economics lesson on profit and making profits. Possibly, even have them create a sample product, pick a price point, and see how many they can sell at a "Kids Product Fair!"

I have the basic idea of the plan, but am unsure on how to present it, and other steps that I might have missed... Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

TIA

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2010

This is a great idea--the kids will love it! One other thing that you could incorporate is having the students create an advertising campaign for their product, thinking about their target audience and how to best reach them.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2010

It is a great idea! We used to do an economics fair in my school. The students would make a product as a group and by stock in the product to be able to afford the supplies. Then we had to figure out how to pass out the money earned based on the number of stock each person bought. It was very neat.

I suggest having them draw/design the product first and get feedback before the writing. Some of them will think of illogical ideas or something that they will not be able to build. This way they will need to defend their product to a small group before spending the time writing out the details.

5. ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning New Member

Aug 18, 2011

Tia,
    I saw that you did your thesis statement on the implementation and effectiveness of character education. This is a topic I am very interested in, my daugthers school had this type of program at her school. Is it possible to read your paper? I would love to learn more about this topic.
    Thank you for your time,
    Sandra

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2011