Procrastinators Anonymous

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by TeacherShelly, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2007

well I had a part time job at Sav-On (osco in L.A. area) and worked graveyard. You won't believe the weirdos that come into the store at 2 am. Most of them had kids! I don't understand what you need to buy that bad, (besides drugs) at that time of morning...and why you dragged your kids out with you. Oh, I just remembered -- our thread is on procastinating...this explains why!

I emailed 4 more resumes, and faxed them too.

I baked blueberry muffins.

I started research for my grad paper.

I called my daughter to say hello.

BTW I found out my condo locks the main door at 9, so the only way I'll get a pizza is if the pizza guy has a cell phone, or he won't be able to even get inside to buzz me!

2. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 1, 2007

Better than being a deaf momma completely bedridden (so sick) and ordering pizza via my 11 year clueless son online across the room then sending a check down and having ask them to trust me when I say I can't come down and show that I match my photo ID. :) We've been eating a lot of pizza every since hubby went overseas.

3. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 1, 2007

cutNglue, you are a gem!!! :)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2007

Doesn't Chinese deliver near you?

Master - now you're bragging. So I will. I vacuumed living areas and mopped the tile. Washed throw rugs that animals barfed on, too.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 1, 2007

Now no fair on that bragging. I've seriously been trying for a month to get this house cleaned up all at one time. When I do, my project is to change all the sheets and wash the scruffed up walls (stupid flat paint). Today I started to get there and got too aggravated so I put it on hold. Sigh.

Master Pre-k...They usually have a cell phone. I know this from experience. Sometimes they have to call and ask someone to come answer my door and we are all here. :)

UpDaisy...Chinese probably does deliver but I tried one day and couldn't find one that did and they are SOOO expensive that feeding all four of us isn't that practical.

GardenDove....Awww....Thanks.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2007

ok, I'll confess...

each time I did a terrific task, I spread out ten more pieces of paper on the floor, or more dishes in the sink! When I called my daughter, all activity ceased! :D

so now, I have papers all over the living room, the dinning room table and my bed! For everything I got done, I made a bigger mess behind it!

cutnglue, why didn't anyone tell me you should use satin or eggshell and not flat paint on walls? I got 3 5-gallon buckets of this mess! Finally got some guys to paint over the foil wall-papered, old glue, condo-crisis! Then I had to buy more paint...the kind that will wipe off inevitable stains! I am a preferred customer at sherwin williams!

am I still bragging?? sorry!!! :sorry:

and, nowdays, everbody takes your debit card! If you order once, they have your phone in caller id. some keep your last 4 digits in their profile, and will just charge your card just like amazon.com

scary isn't it??

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 1, 2007

It's not my house and the landlord won't let me paint it eggshell even though I offered to have the whole thing painted at my own expense! He says when someone leaves the premise it is easier to touch up with flat than it is with eggshell. Apparently with eggshell you have to repaint the whole room. I have a 3 year old though. Nuff said!

Edit: Excuse me...3 year old BOY...okay Nuff said!

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2007

Ok I have to brag some too. After I finally dragged myself away from the computer this morning I did wash two loads of laundry, folded two baskets of laundry that I did a week ago. Ordered the kids around so they could do some chores too. Cleaned and vacumed my room, watched most of the Princess Diana concert while I was cleaning my room. Took a nap and then woke up cooked dinner and washed half the patio off. Of course I am now back to the computer and since I took a nap I will be up half the night.

9. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 1, 2007

I'll have a response to this thread later.....

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2007

Well...
    I picked up my 18 month old grandson Friday around 2 pm. :love: From that point on, I did nothing having to do with cleaning, organization, or studying for the rest of the weekend. :D I didn't cook, either! Shoot, I didn't even get on the computer until after he went to bed at night! :( I did manage to give him two baths (pretty major undertaking, as he doesn't currently like them much) and to get both of us up and dressed and to church on time this morning, which I thought was doing pretty good! We took him home after church, and visited with my daughter and SIL during a thunderstorm, then drove home. Oh, and I had to forewarn my daughter that her son might have doggie hair in his diaper, because my border collie is shedding everywhere and they played chase all weekend! :eek: I still haven't cooked or cleaned. I guess tomorrow I'll have to pay the piper, if I can find the time.... :p

We have NO Chinese restaurants here that deliver. I'm so jealous whenever I see a tv show where they do!

We do have Walgreens and CVS at most intersections! Our Walgreens are 24 hours, but so are the Wal-Marts, and the people at Wal-Mart at 2 in the morning are even weirder!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

hahahaha... sounds like you did pretty good with your grandbaby. Sounds like fun, too. I try not to go to Wal Mart at weird hours. The people there in the day are bad enough. Plus, I'm not too sure about the parking lot in the middle of the night. When I can't sleep I'm tempted, though. That's bad....

Well, it's now almost 2 a.m. and I just had snack. What should I do now?

12. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

PWhatley - I live exactly 1/2 mile too far away from the delivering Chinese restaurant. :( I can sympathize!

The first of my kids to get married did so on May 18th, so I'll have to wait to have somebody with a dog-hairy diaper (my dog is shedding too - on ME!) Sounds like you had a great time!

Upsadaisy - A SNACK! What a great idea! Then we can both get back to our insomnia!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

Instead of going back to bed, I did an exhaustive google search for kids audio books. Nothing in my price range. I'll go to Barnes & Noble tomorrow and see what they have.

The snack sure did hit the spot.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2007

Wow!! Another reason I can't ever move! In my china cabinet drawer I have takeout/delivery menus for:
    - pizza-- both Dominos and "real" pizza
    - Chinese/Japanese (Brian loves their sushi)
    - the place around the corner that makes the BEST chicken wings. They also do ribs, so Brian & Peter love them.
    - Moes, which does amazing fast-food Mexican, although we usually don't have them delivered, we go out.

and I'm not sure what else. (Can you tell that cooking is NOT one of my most favorite pasttimes???)

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

I am allergic to chinese food! use to make it for ex..got sick anyway.. can't even be in the room!

yes, we should all avoid wal-mart and walgreens, and any other 24 hr store(after 2 am) unless we are in desparate need of some drug to save our lives! I worked night shift and that's is where are the muggers work. they steal your socks off if you stand in one place too long!

and you can't park too close to the store, so be careful walking back to your car. Many parking lots in L.A. were actually homeless neighborhoods! people sleep in their cars in the 24 hour store lots. They know the cops won't come around, and they always have a bathroom!

I am the ultimate procastinator...I took a mental health day to do some errands and job hunting. It is almost 10, and look where I am! I was reading some articles for school and somehow got back to AtoZ!

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 2, 2007

I should have taken my son to daycare (pre-k) hours ago but I haven't yet. If I did, he would be out of my hair if nothing else. Plus I have to pay the bill today so I have no choice. One good thing about the work season...it provides a consistent schedule.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

if you aren't there by 9:30 am, we won't let you in!

I used to wait until 5:49 p.m. to pick my daughter up, just because!

Okay, I am leaving. Job hunting, bill paying, research paper researching...

'bye all

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

I'm trying to figure out what I'm not gonna do today!!!

I think I'll go to Barnes & Noble and browse.

I have to start reading Fountas & Pinnell soon or the new school year will be starting. The book is loooooong.

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 2, 2007

Oh, man, 7 minutes I'll never get back - BUT - what fun to read everyone's posts :) :) :)

Gah, my credential work is piling up, and so are the dishes. Hmmm.... the kitchen ?

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

Kitchen? Oh yeah, where the coffee is.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 2, 2007

I specifically asked the policy because even though I need a babysitter here and there to relieve myself of stress, I could have waited until closer to when school starts. Instead the base puts you on a waiting list that has taken us a year to get in. I wanted to know if I chose to have a family vacation or a day off to do stuff that it wasn't going to affect my standing. No worries there. During the school year we are much more structured anyways.

22. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 2, 2007

(gasping) help ! I'm so saturated with this credential assignment. I need a break! ("Can I have a peppermint?" says DD2)... help ... I'm drowning...

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 2, 2007

Teacher Shelly....I feel the exact same way. It's nongoing errands and problems and illnesses for 1.5 months since hubby left for Afghanistan. I haven't had ME time except in the tub but usually I'm making calls and reviewing my to do lists. I stay going constantly. It's only been the last few weeks that I could even come on here. I do it between calls and stuff. Right now I'm working on finances that I haven't looked at in almost 2 months and frankly I'm afraid to.

In some ways it's almost funny because I've used the word saturated and drowning quite a few times lately.

24. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 2, 2007

Almost funny? It's hilarious! You're tempting fate making calls in the bathtub. Add "electrocuted" to our list of feeling words :) :)

25. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2007

I didn't have time to procrastinate this morning. I actually had to get up and get to the bank as soon as it opened. My darling step son left Oregon for Texas with a new,pregnant bride and exactly 176.00 in his bank account. I had to go transfer so money to his bank account. Then we found out that the money wont be there until tomorrow so I had Western union him even more. Why is that I can Western Union it and it gets there faster than if I just transfer money into his account? Banks! I did stop at my friends fireworks stand and talked to her for 2 hours before coming home to AtoZ.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  26. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 2, 2007

wow, Tx, not every mom would do so much, that's cool! I hope this is the beginning of a good story for your son and family (started off with nuthin but $176 and my good name... kinda thing)... :)

So, I'm off to spend some more of my own $$ on manipulatives. Student teaching, no less. Not only am I NOT making the salary, I'm spending loan money. Hmph...

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 2, 2007

As a newlywed I remember having a baby and then moving across country. Then we lived without cable or anything that first year and shopped this interesting black label store for groceries. Then I remember living with a microwave I bought from a garage sale that I used a hangar as the door handle. I'm starting to sense a pattern for danger here. Hehe....and I have a cell phone (pager). I don't think they necessarily electrocute you but I would be out some major major bucks.

28. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 2, 2007

RIght, no electrocution from the cell phone, I should know you are smarter than that !

I'm back from the supply shop. Guess what? No such thing there as triangle pattern blocks. I'm trying to bring these in so the students can make hexagons from triangles, making tangible the fact that fractions are not a Thing. They are part of a Thing, in this case, one sixth of a hexagon. Nothing like that. So I bought tag board and will be cutting my own.

At least now I know what tag board is and where to get it. :)

29. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 2, 2007

I have been procrastinating on many fronts: doing the dishes, cleaning, working on my scrapbook pages, even stopping in here. I HAVE started reading the fifth Harry Potter book for about the 16th time. I'm going to finish it before Friday if it means procrastinating on everything else. Friday is for packing.

cutNglue-I haven't balanced my checkbook in years. As long as I don't get notices telling me I have overdrafted my account, I don't worry.

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 2, 2007

I mostly wanted to know how much out to eat we've been doing since hubby left and if it will cut into our budget too much if I continue doing it. It doesn't do any good for all of us to make a sacrifice to pay off loans and bills if I squander it on my sanity.

I laughed at the tag board. I had the same dilemma when I first started and my teacher looked at me like it was just plain common sense. Hello....it's called POSTER BOARD people. Also I didn't learn until my second year there that there was a closet right next to the supply closet. It had gasp...more supplies. I also went out and bought sharpies and other things I tend to lose because I felt bad that my teachers were paying for the supplies and I was losing them. Turns out the front office supplies them. Know I know.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2007

Around here it's poster board or oaktag.

32. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 2, 2007

Hahaha, C&G!

That paper is called "card stock" in the marketing communications world. Oh well!

33. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 2, 2007

You are laughing??!! You didn't know what tag board was either. Ha!

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

dare I say, you guys should get out more??

try another flavor...like manila paper! :D

went to office max, made copies
    went Kohls, got a blouse and pants for $15 off sale rack
    went to Target bought bathroom stuff
    went to school, argued with student accounts about my schlrship$
    went to library, got tons of articles for grad paper
    made dinner
    watched the news
    fell asleep
    went back to AtoZ

this is good stuff..I actually crossed off everything on my 2do cklist!

35. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

I'm just now getting around to reading this post. I'll reply to it later.

:)

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

ha ha!

37. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 2, 2007

Dear me, I meant to laugh with you :sorry: :eek:

38. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 2, 2007

Oops..I was laughing with you. I was laughing at the fact that it was ironic that you were laughing. Gotta get those smiley faces out. I've been procracinating. It's an extra step of a button before we can hit reply. Laaaaazzzzzyyyyyy!!!!! :cool:

39. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 2, 2007

Oh for goodness sake, THAT is funny! I think I lost my sense of humor, coincidentally, when my professor emailed that he is coming to observe my three fractions lessons tomorrow at 8:15 am. Bleh. I know nothing BAD is going to happen, I just felt my shoulder blades tighten together and my jaw clench when I read that. Oh, and the nervous sweat - gah!!!

I'm procrastinating cutting my 200th 1" equilateral triangle out of TagBoard.

40. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 2, 2007

How's this for wierd: when I'm giving myself a pep talk in my head, I use a British accent. Why? I don't know.