Procedures

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by gmer22, Sep 1, 2007.

1. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

Ok so I figured out that I am very bad with procedures. What do you have for set for bathroom and lining up procedures. What do you do about everyone asking to go to the bathroom? HELP... what do you do for consequences?

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 1, 2007

At this age their bladders can't go a long time without going to the bathroom. And you don't want them to give up water - headaches, lethargy, etc.

The best advice I can give is to schedule class bathroom time once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Take the whole class, line up outside the bathrooms, and send them in 2x2. Everyone should TRY to go. I tell them, "Just see if you can SQUEEEEEEEEZE out a few drops, so everyone is empty at the same time!" They crack up at this and it works pretty well.

As you get further into the year, they will mature and be able to control their bladders more easily. It is a physical development issue and you have to deal with what you've got. I know how it is, once one of them says "I have to go" they suddenly they all realize they have to go. Be patient. It will get better.

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 1, 2007

PS I don't give consequences for needing to go to the bathroom.Later in the year you can tell them, "Can you wait 5 more minutes until ________?" and stretch it out that way.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2007

I always took my class once in the morning, before lunch, sent a few at a time after recess, once before specials, and then after specials. This might not work if these are back to back though.

6. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Sep 3, 2007

I put a read aloud time in right after lunch and I told them this is the time to use the restroom. I did this because it seemed as if ALL the students had to use the restroom at that particular time of the day. This way they can get up and go the restroom when the restroom is open as I am reading. It also weeds out the students that are just trying to get out of class because they want to be there for the read aloud. Hope that helps.

7. checov

checov New Member

Sep 7, 2007

The interest in the bathrooms seem to be newness mor than anything. My grandchildren can play for hours without a bathroom break. I usually tell my class that they may visit the restroom once before lunch and once after lunch. Unless there is a medical problem, I have found that this works great.
    (Of course, I can never go when I need to, and that will never be solved!!)

8. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Sep 7, 2007

Okay our class has a neat procedure that I'd like to share. I have 5th graders, but perhaps you all could use it. We have two "stop lights." One is for boys and one for girls. These were made by cutting circles out of red & green construction paper. The red side says stop and green says go. Then, they are laminated. They are hung up and have the bathroom passes next to them (on a ribbon, to hang around the neck). The procedure is this:

1) Child looks up to see if their light is green (boys or girls, depending on gender). If no, then they cannot leave. If it is green, they go over to it.
    2) Student takes the clothespin with his/her name (that is also used for lunch count/ attendance) and places it on the light. They flip it over to stop. They take the pass and go.
    3) When they return, the pass hangs back up, the light is turned back to go, and they remove their clip which goes back into the basket.

This has worked really well. The kids know that if we are in the middle of something, i.e. giving directions to a lesson, that they may not go. They must wait until appropriate time. Then, they don't ask, they just glance up to see the color. Also, it helps us, b/c we can glance to see who is gone,by looking at the name clip.

Here is a photo of the signs, for easier visualization. Hope this helps!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/12971532@N04/1345043772/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2007

I like that idea of the stop light hipteachergirl! So they don't ask you for permission, just as long as their gender is green they can go?

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 8, 2007

Oh, I am laughing my head off - at myself! I gave such good advice the week before I had any students! Now, I am dealing with kids having to go about 5-6 times a day. So next week we start cracking down and they must use the bathroom times - about 5 opportunities throughout the day. They don't have to go more than at max, 1 and 1/2 hours without a bathroom break. We will see how it goes. The key is teaching them that they should go at the break time even if they don't "have" to go. Funny how easy it is to give advice when you are not in the situation.

11. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Sep 9, 2007

Yep, that's right. That way, only 1 boy and 1 girl are gone at a time. The bathroom for the kiddos is right down the hall, so we aren't too concerned about anything.

12. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Sep 10, 2007

I don't feel good about refusing bathroom trips because they are so young (parents, I'm sure wouldn't be happy about it either!) But kids do abuse the bathroom breaks so I...

only let one student go at any given time. It's funny how the bathroom requests dropped like crazy after this. Other first grade teachers send them in twos, but I don't like that.

If a child is timid and needs a buddy, I choose the buddy so kids won't pick friends so they can fool around.

Some kids still go to the bathroom just to get out of class. At this point in time (so early in the year and still kindergarten-fresh) I let them go. If they don't get work done, I send it home for the parents to complete with them. This way, the parents apply pressure on their kids to get more work done in school. Parents don't like to spend their time on more schoolwork!

13. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

I have a girls pass, a boys pass and a drink pass. They hang up by the door. Kids look to see if one is there, go get it, put it on their desk and they go, anytime during the day. If I see that one kid is going 3 times a day I talk to them reminding them once before lunch, once after is the max. They can go anytime during recess and lunch too. If I ask them if they have to go, like right before we had something in the auditorium they ALL have to go of course. So I try not to ever do that. he he. This has worked pretty well, but there are always those who abuse it and hang out for 10 minutes in the bathroom. :yawn: