Procedures

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by JenL, Jul 30, 2006.

1. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jul 30, 2006

Help! I am meeting this week with a teacher at my new school and I wanted to have a list of procedures to ask her about....school and classroom. However, my brain is fried and right now I only have like three procedures to ask about on my list....any imput is helpful. This will be first graders.

3. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 30, 2006

Bathroom, attendance, lunch count, pullouts, recess, rainy day recess, students arriving late, teachers arriving late, getting a sub, student wanting to ask a question, fire drill, emergency evacuation (aka terrorist drill), tornado drill, turning in lesson plans, turning in grades, early/late duty, morning routines, dismissal bells (walkers/buses/cars), Checking books out of the school library/class library, behavior chart procedure, classroom jobs, center time, Accelerated Reader, "Things to do when you're done with y our work", indicating the need for help, test taking procedures, sharpening pencils, students needing supplies, wetting pants/not having appropriate clothing, head lice, group work, getting attention of students, procedure for dealing with uncooperative/angry/dangerous student, when to have students use the bathroom as a group, student/teacher leaving the room policy, class walking in the hallway, using the copy machine, using the laminator, handing out work, collecting work, collecting homework, collecting notes/permission slips, handing out textbooks...

I went a bit broad with the "procedure" thing...but I'm trying to think of some too :) [Sorry all of my ideas are jumbly:p]

4. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 30, 2006

If you have Harry Wong's book, The First Day of School, it will have a list of procedures that you need to have considered and planned for. From my past experience, work out how you want things done in your room, and this site has so much to offer, but make sure you ask her about the school wide things. (My first year, no one would even explain how the lunchroom worked. I figured the kids went to school here last year, they know what to do. I didn't set forth my expectations and they took full advantage.)

Anyway, ask her about...
    lunchroom procedures-how is money handled, lining up, going in, food requirements (our kids must get 3 items on their plates), what about outside drinks, putting away tray, student helpers cleaning tables and floors, we have a two napkin limit, what about kids who can't have pork, do they have lunch numbers or cards

Juice/snack money-how is it recorded, when, who gets it, what about late money, how is it distributed, what is allowable from home, what about birthday celebrations

hallway-does the principal have special rules, waiting for the PE and Music teacher, what about being in the hall without an adult

Morning and afterschool--where do early kids wait, do they need books, talking, etc., how are car riders released, how are bus riders released, where do my kids go when I have hall or bus duty, can they read in the halls, etc

Emergency procedures-fire drill, tornado drill, intruder, problems with parent (custody issues), sick child

In the classroom, you can ask how she handles things but feel free to decide what works for you...

storing backpacks, snacks, materials, finished work, graded work, take-home papers, notes from home, money from home, etc.
    classroom library
    sharpening pencils
    restroom, water, sick child
    changing centers, using computers, using classroom games
    lining up
    taking turns during classroom discussions

There's more to consider but that's what I can list off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

5. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jul 30, 2006

thanks....both help a lot...get my mind going which is good. school starts in a week and a half.