Procedures

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by litrocks, Jun 20, 2011.

1. litrocks

litrocks New Member

Jun 20, 2011

Hi! I have just re-credentialed for elementary education and am moving from teaching AP English to teaching all subjects in a traditional 6th grade classroom. I need ideas on procedures, rewards, etc. that are attractive to 6th grade students!
    Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2011

You still need procedures for everything: going to the bathroom, getting a drink, sharpening a pencil, extra supplies, going to lockers (if you use them), turning in homework, lining up, etc. They need to know how to do everything that you could possibly want them to do.

Rewards: they tend to love things that are free....sitting by friends, working with a friend, no homework pass, choosing a problem to skip in homework, eating lunch with the teacher, extra bathroom passes, helping out in anyway, delivering messages, etc.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 20, 2011

Yup everything mopar mentioned. They love the free stuff and they're still young enough to like some inexpensive incentives. Procedures for all expectations. The first week... Practice practice practice

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 20, 2011

6th grade students are awesome! :thumb:

I agree that "They need to know how to do everything that you could possibly want them to do." I have a huge list of procedures I cover the first week. At my previous school I made a game with procedural questions & answers. Students worked in teams and competed to match them up the fastest.

Rewards:
    computer time, sitting in beanbag/ teacher's chair, stinky feet (shoes off for the period), getting a drink whenever they want (during class period), signing their name on window/ wall, prize box (pencils, keychains, whistles), candy box, etc.. I buy most of my prize stuff at Party City & spend .20-.30 per item.

I use a ticket system for rewards b-c I only have my kids once a day. You'd be able to use punch cards or a lotto board since you're self contained. :)

6. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 22, 2011

Stamps on HW/hands/tests, stickers - smelly, puff, fuzzy. Even 8th graders want them.

7. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jun 24, 2011

I agree procedures for everything. I type mine up in a document that we go over the first day of school (then model and practice, practice, practice throughout the year when needed). Students sign the packet of expectations and take it home and parents sign it also.

I also agree with free rewards, but I would add that I find it to be even more rewarding when they get to choose the reward. One of our first class meetings is brainstorming a list of rewards (small to large). We use that list all year to pick our next reward off of. They earn the reward by earning points as a class. At the end of everyday they reflect on their day and vote for how many points the class earned (5 high - 1 low). Those points accumulate until they earn the reward.

8. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 27, 2011

9. Earthy Natural

Earthy Natural New Member

Jul 9, 2011

^^ Thank you so much for providing that link. I recently found out that I'll be teaching 6th grade social studies and I'm trying to find everything from setting up the classroom, to templates for necessary forms.

10. cegn6

cegn6 New Member

Aug 1, 2011

@katenar

I am a first year teacher teaching sixth grade this year. I visited you webpage via the link above and loved your ipod binder idea. I tried to visit the link but was inable to. Is there any way you could describe that?

11. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

Possible dumb question...

I too have been thinking about free rewards. One of the first I thought of was getting to choose your desk for the day (I plan to have assigned seats, at least for the beginning of the year). The question is: Doesn't this boot another student out of his or her desk for the day? Is there some obvious way around this that I'm just not seeing?:huh:

12. SacTeacher

SacTeacher Rookie

Mar 28, 2012

I subbed in a class that used "Anchor Charts" chart paper that the class have obviously worked together to create that listed looks like/sounds like/what's being accomplished for all the different learning activities. Like Read to Someone, Read to Yourself, Group Disscussion. They were posted all over the front wall for easy referernce.