Procedures/Organization

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by RRWilson, Jul 11, 2010.

1. RRWilson

RRWilson Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

There were a few of these threads awhile ago, but I can't find them so I'm creating a new one. Just curious (and looking for new ideas) about some of your best procedures and organizational ideas that help you stay on top of things both during class and after class. For instance, organizing paper work, classroom jobs, time management, discipline DOCUMENTATION, etc. Love to hear your ideas!

;)

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2010

Discipline documentation - this is what I'm trying this year. I usually keep a folder on every child, where I could add work samples, document phones calls home, add printed emails, etc. It was a disaster on several levels last year.

I'll still keep the individual folders, but I'm going to keep a binder with one page per child for discipline issues. This will include tardies, silent lunches, time outs, minor infractions, referrals, and calls home. This way I'll have everything in order in one place - copies of anything will go into the individual folders. I'm also going to keep a notepad on my desk specifically for me to jot down names so I don't forget to follow up with phones calls home that evening.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2010

I teach only writing and grammar.

Keeping records:
    They all have portfolios for completed stories and notebooks, so I don't keep a folder for every child. I can grab the portfolio and notebook if I need to. I do have a folder for any child in Special Ed or RTI. I'll add grammar worksheets to those. The rest of it all goes home as soon as we finish going over it. They put it in their Agendas, which are signed every night. If I think the child isn't going to show the parent the paper, I'll write a quick note in the Agenda to see the attached paper and go over it with the child. (The Agendas have to be signed every night.)

I have a data notebook. In it are all testing results for the entire 5th grade, e-mail addresses, etc. I keep what the school system calls "grades" in here. (Long story.) It's basically a running record of how they are doing in the different areas of writing and grammar. It's also on a Word document and I print it out every once in awhile to put in the notebook.

We keep a class notebook that follows the class to whichever class they go to. Teachers record missing assignments, behavior pluses and minuses, comments, etc.

Those are the things I'd need if I have a conference, and they are easy to put my hands on.

5. Privateschools

Privateschools Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

Teacher

Hi,

As a teacher you need to keep lot of stuffs in your mind.You need to make sure that you have a proper record of all the works done by the student.Thus you must be very alert when it comes to maintaining records as it would be a very complicated affair if the records are not properly maintained.

Thanks,

6. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

When I was teaching regular education I kept a porfolio for each student. Anything that was taken up for marks would go in that portfolio (duotang). If it was project based, then just the rubric or checklist or marking sheet that went with the project would go in the duotang. I kept all my marks on a computer program (as does everyone I hope) and once a month I would print it off, put it in the portfolio and send the whole thing home for a parent signature. This way the student checked that everything was complete and all my marks were recorded properly and everyone always knew where the student stood. I also always had things readily available if we had meetings about students.

I am a huge fan of hand-held organizers. Back in the beginning it was a Palm Pilot and now its a Blackberry Curve. I use my calendar and to do lists on there all the time. I would be lost without it as I could not keep track of all the meetings and deadlines without it.

Finally, I have two sets of hanging file folders. One has 10 files in labeled "Monday", "Tuesday"...etc. I have two sets of days to represent two weeks worth of classes. I put anything that I need for a given day (mostly things that need to be handed out) in these folders and then just move each folder to the back as I finish that day. If a student misses class and I need to hand something to them upon return, I put their name on it and move it to the next day file and keep moving it until they return. I check my file everyday for things like lose papers. The other set I had was the same but it was organized by month and I would just put things in to an upcoming month as I saw the need for it.

Finally I always had a notebook that was just an "idea book" that I could write in as I went along. I'm actually thinking to revamp this in to a binder that has sections instead. That way I can keep it more organized and I can also print off ideas from online and put them in there :).

7. ecochick

ecochick Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

In one section of my teacher binder I keep separate logs of things like discipline issues, when students are invited for extra help, and parent contact. Since I teach middle grades, I see about 150+ students per day, so one folder for each is not practical.
    For my special ed students, I keep a notebook with dividers (one section of each child). There accomodations are listed here along with any work samples I might need to bring to and IEP. I also have a similar notebook for kids who are struggling in order to document what I have done to help them. In my area irresponsible parents often blame teachers when their students repeatedly perform poorly, so it is really important to have documentation that you contacted parents and did everything you could to help the student.

8. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

i use a spiral notebook..what i do is i tab it with the post it tabs (not post its but the tab ones that stick) then with a permanent marker i go through it and write my sub titles like for us its gum chewing $10, $15 for infraction on dress code, detentions ..etc. when i write in a students name i highlight their name so its easier access and i write in what they did. Its also good for keeping track of the students that dont turn in their homework.

It works great for me, except last year after dec i didnt keep track of it. I also keep track of their work in a folder but i kinda dont want to this year because its a hassle and again im not consistent with it. Any other ideas are helpful.