procedure for students borrowing books

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hipteachergirl, Jul 1, 2008.

1. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone have a good suggestion for how students can "check out" books from our classroom library. I feel that they need some way to be held accountable for them, so that my books don't come up missing. I'll be teaching 5th grade, so I also need something that is age appropriate. I think I'd like one of my weekly jobs to be Librarian, so they could be in charge of it all. TIA:thanks:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 1, 2008

I've found that any system you have will only work for those who use it properly. In other words, it only keeps the responsible children responsible. My experience is that it is more trouble than it is worth to have a library system for the classroom library. The students forget to sign books out, they forget to sign books back in, they borrow them from each other, they lay them down, and some good samaritan returns them (thus they still show up as being checked out.)

If students are going to steal your books, they will find a way to do it.

I spend a lot of time modeling how books should be handled, how they should be stored, and how to put them back... but it is more bother than it is worth to do a check-out system. I don't allow my books to go home without special permission, and then I must personally see the book first thing in the morning to assure it came back.

That is just my opinion. I'm sure there are others who use systems and it works fine for them.

I don't lose many books -- but I always figure if a child is that desperate to have a book, they can have it!

4. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Jul 1, 2008

thanks for the insight!

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2008

I made a sign out sheet that included their name, title, date signed out and librarian initial that it was returned. I also had a turn in bin and an alphabetized list of all of my books for the librarian to check to see if everything wast there. They could not take the books out of the class (they have lockers and switch classes).It worked out pretty well.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2008

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes anyway:

When I was in elementary school (100 years ago), there was no such thing as a classroom library. I would have noticed, because books were my best friends and I always read way above grade level (the teachers had a problem finding material for me). How much do the kids actually USE a classroom library? My cooperating teacher last fall had a kind of classroom library, but there were no procedures for using the books, and quite honestly, the books just sat in two different places in the classroom, and got ignored. Don't think that my CT was anything other than wonderful (she was) - we just had a very challenging class.

7. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

My kids used my library heavily. I have a sheet with name, date and title. About every other week, I go through the list and ask them to show me the books that are still checked out. If they have returned it and it's not crossed off, then they have to find it in the library.

I have two librarians that keep it neat. They will probably be responsible for checking the list this year.

Apart from a few books in the library, I'm not too concerned with them disappearing. If they need it that bad, fine. But I haven't noticed the library getting smaller.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2008

How long do the students usually keep your books?

9. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 1, 2008

This was my first year of teaching and I was in the process of acquiring books for my library. Our school library loaned me about 200 books which they rotated each quarter and then I purchased about 200 (or got them free from Scholastic) this past year. As each new book order came in I logged the books into a spreadsheet. At the end of the year I had lost about 30 books! My students were from a lower socioeconomic group so it only bothered me a little. I think I will try the book where the students write down the name of their book. I like the idea of library cards in the library pockets but don't want to invest in that right now. I would rather buy more books for my students.

10. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 1, 2008

I've tried so many different ideas and like mentioned above, I've given up. I've done the book pockets with cards and a person in class who has been the librarian. I've had a sign out sheet. I've had cards in a pocket chart that had the students names on them and they wrote the title of the book they were borrowing.

I've just decided not to allow my books to go home and the students are only suppose to keep them on their desks (not inside). Also, students are only allowed to get one book at a time. Some students will remember this rule while others always break it. I haven't lost too many books over the years. Again, if the kids really need a book that badly, then I guess that is my present to them.

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

My students can borrow ANY book in the classroom to keep in their cubby, but they do not get to take them home. Often kids may have a couple books in their cubbies at once. We clean them periodically. Only very rarely have I allowed a student to borrow a book to take home, and this is when the parent KNOWS and I have a very trusting relationship with both the student and parent. This has happened a couple times when a child was going on vacation or something.

This year for the first time I had kids take home a chapter book we were all reading, and I never got 2 of them back. I had spent my own money on them, as it is a unit I do regularly. Ug. I will not do that again, unless I have a signed slip from the parent that they will pay for it if it goes missing.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

Someone in this forum suggested just putting index cards inside of books with the name of the book on the top. When kids borrow a book, they put their names on the cards and put the cards in one of those index card boxes.

At this point, I've just accepted the fact that I'm always going to lose books. I guess I'd rather lose that than my iPod.

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2008

I do not try and keep track of my books. I go through repeated lessons on book care. The children when they clean their desk need to have only one classroom library book in their desk to qualify as clean. If a child asks to take a book home I usually let them with the agreement they must bring it back in order to get another. I have to agree with a previous poster who said if a child really wants to take a book it will happen. I figure if they loved the book that much then the book is in a loving home. I have had books reappear a year later.

In response to how the library is used. The children explore the library regularly. It is the mainstay for early finishers at the beginning of the year (I try and make sure to give a little extra "early finisher" time regularly so those who don't finish early get to participate). We use it daily during workshop for browsing, partner reading, solo reading.

14. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

I teach at a very small school and our library and resources are extremely limited. The school subscribes to a large central library and each teacher can take out 50 books at a time. I took books out at the beginning of the year on our topic and put them on the bookshelf. When they were returned, 8 books were missing and I have been billed for $140! I do think some of those books made it into school bags, I have asked parents via the class newsletter but to no avail. The school will not reimburse me nor any other teacher and one begins to wonder whether it is worth it. We don't see why we should have to pay for something the children have taken (but we can't prove which ones did it).

I am very dilligent with homework readers. They are checked in and out by me, and chased up on if the children don't return them regularly enough (ie, they are not doing their reading homework).

15. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

I know this feeling!!! I have two large boxes of books I haven't put out because some students think it's a giveaway. :huh: I've been working to change the schoolwide attitude of books being treated like toys. (The first week at this school, I was shocked the students were using books to "look" like readers and hitting each other with them instead of reading them. I realize they do not have books at their house and many times their parents are illiterate)

I noticed all of my Capt. Underpants and Super Diaper Baby books do not last longer than a year. They get very good usage.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 2, 2008

Those are the books in my class with the pages falling out. One of them was taped together by me as the kid couldn't finish reading it without losing pages. I need to buy them in library binding hardback or something! I always buy them at goodwill though, so they are already well loved and worn out by the time I get them. If you have to buy them year after year though, DO NOT spend more that 69 cents on them!

17. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

When I was self-contained I kept a file box. Each kid had a tab with his/her name on it. My books had pockets (evelopes cut in half) with a card with the book's title on it. If a kid wanted the book I put the card behind his name in the filebox. Each kid also had a "book box" in the room (a plastic shoebox) where they kept books they were currently practicing or interested in. Every couple of weeks we'd clean out the book boxes so books got circulated. When kids got done with work they would go get their book boxes. It worked great.

18. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Jul 2, 2008

I like the envelope cut in half idea!

19. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 2, 2008

We have a library in my school where children are allowed to borrow books. However I do appoint two reliable students to act as class librarians and students can sign out a book from the class library, for a maximum of one week. The librarians handle the paperwork. There is a fine for not returning a book on time and anyone who loses a book is not allowed to borrow one again.Unfortunately there is no perfect system and the loss of some books are part of the school year. If you feel a book is too valuable to take a chance on losing it,don't let the children borrow it.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 2, 2008

This is what has me more confused than anything. Are there no school libraries, so the teacher has to have a classroom library? Sorry I'm so dense. I plan on developing a substantial classroom library, but the kids in my districts go to the school library once a week & can check out a book then. If they are participating in Reading Counts or AR, they can also go during recess, non-instructional time, etc.).

21. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 2, 2008

No, our school has a library, but I also have a classroom library as well. It's convenient to have a classroom library because kids need to constantly have books at their desks. Our library day is Friday, so kids often finish their books before the next library day. Also, I always have kids that forget their school library books at home or can't find them and the library will not allow them to check anymore books out.

22. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 6, 2008

I have a 3x3 stack of papers. The students write their name, book title and date and put it on my desk. When they bring back a book, they put it on my chair and I throw the paper they filled out away (I keep it in a stack clipped to the whiteboard) I lose maybe 5 books a year but it's worth it if the kids are going to read outside of school!