Procedure for getting drink/going to bathroom..

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by rdpega, Aug 5, 2007.

1. rdpega

rdpega Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

What procedure(s) do you use for having your students get permission to go to the bathroom and get a drink? Also, do you have some sort of hall pass or formal check-out/check-in procedure?

3. BRS

BRS Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

Our school was ridiculous on this last year -- I don't know if they plan on changing it for this year, but here goes:

The school providedd each kid with a planner & in the back of the planner was a grid of passes. The kids were alotted 10 passes for each quarter. These passes were used anytime they themselves requested to leave the room for whatever reason (bathroom, water, call home, forgot luch box on the playground, etc) On the back of this grid was another grid that they used whenever the teacher sent them anywhere. If they used up their 10 passes for the quarter --- too bad! They weren't allowed to leave. In addition to this, a student could never leave the classroom without having his teacher place her signature, the date, the time, & the destination in the grid. Yes, despite warnings, most kids used up their 10 passes within the first 2 weeks of the quarter ...

The students have a 30 minute lunch & recess ... you have 20 minutes to eat, if you are lucky enough to get in there early. The remaining 10 minutes are spent on the playground. If you choose to use the restroom (which you are supposed to do), you will likely lose out on your only break of the day --- the 10 minute, if that, recess.

This school is grade levels 4 - 6.

4. sarahthree

sarahthree Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

My students stood by the door and waited for me to nod. We have magnetic walls, so there was a boys hall pass and a girls hall pass on the wall at the door. Students knew they could not stand by the door if the pass for their gender was missing, because I only allowed one boy and one girl out at a time. Also, it was expected that students were not to use restroom/get drink if I was teaching to the whole class.

5. IRAEnglishT-chr

IRAEnglishT-chr Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

Bathroom Bears

When I was student teaching (second grade), I bought two bears (one blue, one pink) at a dollar store and called them my Bathroom Bears. I gave out craft sticks in the morning with the kids' names on them. When they got up to go to the bathroom, they had to get the Bathroom Bear and place it on their desk, then place their stick in a jar up front. At lunch I handed the sticks back out. Kids got to go to the bathroom once in the morning and once in the afternoon and I could glance around and see quickly who was in the bathroom.

6. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I did similar to the past 2 responses and it worked very well.
    Hanging by the door are a boy's and a girl's pass. Underneath it are 2 sections. One says "I have used the bathroom one time", the next says "I have used the bathroom 2 times". These are on a magnetic bookcase. We had a bathroom signal (like a peace sign with 2 fingers) and they would wait for me to say "ok" or nod. I really like this because they never had to speak during the process, or disrupt me during guided reading. They would then take the pas and put it on thier desk (NOT take it to the bathroom with them...that is kid of gross to me). I could then easily see who was in the bathroom by glancing at desks. Also, when they came back from the bathroom they would move their stick (magnetic popcicle stick with thier name on it that they decorated in Sept.) to the area that says how many times they have used the bathroom. Once a child gets to use it 2 times in a day they are done.
    As for the fountain- we have one in our room and it was also understood after some discussion that it shuold not be used when I am in the middle of teaching.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2007

We have the grids in the back of our student planners, but I like them. We did not set a limit on the number they could use. I like it because I can see that when Johnny asked me to go to the bathroom 4th period, he'd already asked all three other teachers that day as well . . . so Johnny's either a wandering soul or isn't feeling well.

We have a school-wide 10/10 rule . . . nobody out the first or last 10 minutes of any class period. They also cannot use the hallway bathrooms during the classes, so they have to go ALL the way to the front office. Only the ones who really want to go will bother with it.

They're only allowed to go during independent work time.

The fountain is right outside my room, so I don't have as many regulations about that . . . and I'm also right beside the principal's office, too, so they're not much into mischief in that location. LOL

8. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 26, 2007

well since I co- teach with another teacher, we have to do the same thing. For her if they go to the bathroom while she is teaching they owe her 1 min at recess. I added the fact ,that they do have breaks during the day to go to the bathroom, so they can't go within 10 mins of coming from a break or they owe 2 mins. The kids for the most part are ok with this.

9. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 26, 2007

I encourage drink breaks before and immediately after recess breaks. Alternatively, they can have a plastic water bottle at their desk. As for using the washroom, I have them raise their hand with one finger in the air (that's my classroom signal for washroom). When I see it, I nod yes or no. I try to keep them in the room during instruction time; those who really need to go will be persistent and I'll let them run but not without a hurry back message. It works well because you may be with another student or preparing something and when you see that one finger, all it takes is a nod.

10. storyh

storyh Companion

Aug 26, 2007

I do a " Bathroom Tag". It is a procedure that I "borrowed" from another teacher. I have a list on the wall with all the students names. After I get the students started on something. I place the pass on some ones desk. After they use the bathroom and get a drink, they pass it to the next person on the list. It goes aroung until it gets back to the person who started it. That person then brings the pass back to me. I try to do one break in the morning and one in the afternoon. It helps to eliminate having to stop class amd march them all down the hall together for a "break". Also, you do have to keep up with who you started with so it just doesn't keep going around and around. Also, I do the boys on one list and the girls on another so both passes are going around at the same time. This is my first year to do this so we will see how it works.

11. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 26, 2007

Sounds like a great idea!

12. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

Well, for water, I am in a portable with no running water so it is a bit different, BUT, you could use it in your room too. I have the kids bring sports type bottles that can't spill, and they are only allowed to fill up at recess time. If they drink it all, tough nuts. Kids that 'can't afford' a sports bottle, I buy them a bottle of propel that they can refill with regular water.
    For the bathroom, I only let out one boy and one girl at a time. I have a sign out sheet where they sign their name, date, time out and time in. There is a clock right by the phone, so it is easy for them to see. I can keep track of who is abusing bathroom priveleges by going too much or staying out too long.
    My rule for the bathroom is that if they go to the bathroom within 15 minutes of coming in from recess, they pull a card, and there is absolutely no going to the bathroom 5 minutes before recess starts or while I am doing direct instruction.
    Students ask to go to the bathroom by holding up their hand in the sign language "T" sign (thumb tucked through pointer and middle finger in a fist). I nod or shake my head to answer.

13. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

I have students who want to use the restroom raise their hand, crossing their pointer and middle fingers. Another teacher started this, and I'm continuing it, since the kids caught on so quickly. I allow them to go one at a time, and not during instruction. To give permission, I only have to look at them and nod. There is a "boys' pass" and "girls' pass" hanging near the door, mainly for my own benefit--if the pass is gone, I know someone is already in the restroom. Less I have to keep track of in my head.

For water, there is a sign for that, too--raising one hand and making a drinking motion with the other. I need to readjust my policy, though, because they seem to want water ALL the time. I don't mind students using the restroom a lot at this age; some have good bladder control, and some just don't yet. But getting up to drink water isn't so necessary. I'm thinking of trying to establish certain times when it's ok, and others when it's not, to cut down on all the hand motions I'm seeing.