Procedure for early finishers

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by old n new, Jul 29, 2008.

1. old n new

old n new Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I am new to first grade and I was wondering what your procedures are for those who finish an assignment early. What kinds of activities do you have for them to do? Thanks for your ideas!

3. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

I have my first graders either

- read from their reading bags (browsing boxes)
    - read from the classroom library
    - finish something else that they didn't get to earlier
    - do an independent file folder type game
    - write in their journals
    - sometimes I have fun worksheet type things but I try to limit those because some race through their work just to do one.

4. TeachMe3

TeachMe3 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I agree with Ilovefirst.

They could also review their spelling words, or use flash cards.

5. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I have my students work on an activity book, clean their desks, and organize some of my papers that need to be in number order. All of my students have a number that they write next to their name on all of their papers.

6. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

Ditto to all of the above. I also have fun hands on games organized on shelves. The students can freely go choose an items and bring it back to their desk. I change these out monthly based on what we are learning. I have 7-10 items for reading time and 5-8 items during math time.

7. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

What kind of games do you have? I wanted to try having games available this year, but I am at a loss for ideas. What do you mean by items? Do you have 7-10 games for reading?

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

I am glad someone asked this. I just bought a poster that says something like what to do when you're done. As a teacher, you mark the things they are allowed to do.

Anyway, do you ever have trouble with the games or file folder games when those kiddos bring them back to their desks? I'm thinking that when I subbed, this would really distract some of the kids that were still working, even if it was a quiet game. Are there certain times where you might not allow the games?

9. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I have a basket with challenging thoughtful puzzles, spelling activites, flash cards etc. Nothing super fun...because I don't want them rushing. I titled the basket "fast finishers" and it works great.

I have also posted a little mini bulletin board in front of it saying "I'm through...what can I do?" and it lists things not in the bin such as reading, rainbow spelling words, etc.

10. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I found about ten blue and brown mini lunch boxes as jo-annes over the summer and bought them. I had no idea what to use them for, but thought they were too cute to pass up. I wonder if I could use them for "I'm through...What can I do?" activities. Do you think a metal tin would be too much of a draw for students or a distraction for students that are still working? I really want all of them to put their best effort forward on their work.

11. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

Most are sorting kinds of games. I bought the cute animal/ fun shaped cutouts and made them into a sorting game. The students get excited because one month will be monkeys and the next will be race cars etc.

We have concentration games. These are very simple but the kids actually really like it. Again, every month the shape of the cards changes to keep up interest.

We also play smiley face- my version of hangman with spelling words and sight words. This is BY FAR their favorite reading or math center to play.

I also have simple dice and gameboards I made dealing with current phonics skills.

As for activities, my students love silly sentences. I put beginnings of sentences (subjects) on orange popsicle sticks. Example: The baby, My sister, The ant, The refrigerator etc. The students put it together with a green stick. Example: ate the cheese, put on his shoe. As the year goes on I change them and make them more complex.

My students also make what am I riddle and put them in the centers. They also draw pictures with labels or a short story and cut it into puzzle pieces. They put it together and read the puzzle.

I also have BrainQuest cards and creative thinking blocks and puzzles.

I also make Hot Dot folders for students to play with the Hot Dot pen and try to find the correct answer.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

Sorry to say but I think this would be a distraction unless the things in the tin were absolutely no fun at all. I think the tins are an awesome idea, not just in that use. I long term subbed in a first grade classroom and there were students who had a horrible time concentrating. When fast finishers came back with something different to do, it really distracted them.

I think it would probably be okay if they used the contents of the tin away from their normal desks and others who were still working.

Lemon

13. NCP

NCP Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

Early finishers read a book or write in their journals. These two things are quiet, non distracting and educational. Plus there is no prep on my part!

I don't really have a lot times when students finish early though.