Problems with support from administration

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by horsecrazy1981, May 5, 2008.

1. horsecrazy1981

horsecrazy1981 Rookie

May 5, 2008

Why is my administration so afraid to discipline students? I am so used to having the support of my administration, now that I am without it, I am having problems. Most problems I can handle in the classroom, but there are certain things that I was told should be handled by administration. Name-calling, bullying, fighting, cursing, and disrespectful/defiant behavior have always been handled by administration if, after parent contact, behavior did not improve. I was always told that these types of behaviors are what leads up to events like Columbine, and that they are serious offenses.

The administration that I have now, treats these as minor infractions. Most students that I send to the office are sent back before I can even call the office to let them know what is going on, or before I can finish writing the referral. I had a student last week tell me that he was going to call the police on me and have me arrested (because I told him to sit down and stop arguing with another student). There is one student that is extremely disrespectful, openly calling students and teachers names, yelling, bouncing up and down the hall, pushing, arguing, and fighting, and the administration refuses to apply any serious consequences to him. I can't stand this anymore. What am I supposed to do with these children? I feel like a babysitter, not a teacher. :help:

3. 1angel

1angel Rookie

May 6, 2008

Oh my God! You just echoed my thoughts! I came home today so upset because I am so tired of not getting any help! I really do try very hard to handle everything I can, and I call parents first.

I remember being asked one time "Well what do you want me to do about it?" It was my second week of teaching--I had no idea what to say about a child stage diving into the desks and then slapping a student.

I had a student get into a fight today and then yell and complete disrespect me and because I didn't call her parents I can't get administrative help! Thing is this is the 6th fight she's been in and her parents never respond to anything. I keep a phone log of all the messages I have left throughout the year.

And that's just one of the kids. I have 3 that are serious bullies and everytime I try to do something about it, they get sent back to my room--then since their families aren't supportive these kids think they totally got one over on me.

I'm starting to feel like I'm not a good teacher things have gotten so out of control. If only I got some outside support these things might stop and I could spend some time teaching!

4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

May 6, 2008

Welcome to miseducation 2008.Many administrators are more afraid of parent complaints and district reports than they are of the teachers in their school. God forbid a parent might complain to the district about something they feel happened in the school.
    My administration is the same.Every child is wonderful and can do nothing wrong. It is always the teachers fault and the guidance counsellor is the principal's best friend and just shrugs her shoulders if you present her with a problem.The only child we have had really punished this year was one found with a boxcutter in his bookbag.The only other form of discipline is to transfer a student from one class to another.The Assistant Principals just tell the student don't do that again and send them right back to the room. Children laugh when you send them to an administrator for improper behavior. the only thing that counts is the TEST SCORES.If a child gets top scores he would probably get away with anything short of murder.The teachers are on our own and it amazing it runs as well as it does,but it is very frustrating.

5. 1angel

1angel Rookie

May 13, 2008

Well I finally got some support sort of. I had a student take an extreme measure and I kept calling everyone I could to get help and I kept calling over and over. The situation had become dangerous. Then of course the comment I recieved from administration was "Why haven't you done more to prevent this?" Thank goddess I had kept a TON of documentation of the referrals and incidents with this child. They backed down when I pulled it all out. Of course they never apologized and it only took me two years (I loop with my class) so now that we have one week left he is expelled! Oh well, at least something finally happened and I don't have to fear for my students from his actions anymore.