Problems with relocating?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jedi74, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Jedi74

Jedi74 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

Do you think it would be LESS likely to even get interviewed if you were applying for an out of state position?

I mean schools probably have plenty of applicants locally so why inconvenience an out of state applicant even if they are more qualified?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2013

It's possible that you might not get hired as an out-of-state candidate. This might happen if you didn't have the state's license already in hand. It might also happen if the district felt that you were a bad bet, that you might be likely to return to your home state at the first available opportunity.

Not all places have a plethora of qualified candidates, though. My district certainly doesn't, so we have to hire outside candidates.

4. Jedi74

Jedi74 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

i was just asking because i DO have a license for a particular "out of state" but i figure when they see my address on my resume they would never contact me.....

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2013

I would not make that assumption.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2013

As long as there is not an extremely saturated market where you are applying, it shouldn't matter to most schools.

7. BuckNutTeacher

BuckNutTeacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

I am from Ohio and got 2 interviews in Florida and 5 in North Carolina. I don't think it matters in areas that need teachers.

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 17, 2013

My husband's school often recruits from out of state. The admin. likes people from a wide variety of backgrounds and areas.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2013

Few districts or boards of education pay relocation expenses; that being the case, living outside state X but holding its current certification is a much easier sell than living in state X but not holding its certification.

10. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

I was hired out-of-state 2years ago and had to move. My school interviews and hires several long distance teachers. North Carolina needs math teachers.

11. BuckNutTeacher

BuckNutTeacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

In updated news, I accepted a job offer from Florida today. So it's not hopeless.

12. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 17, 2013

A lot of the charters in my area hire out of state.

13. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 17, 2013

The charter school I was recently hired at recruits from out of state. They also pay for relocation expenses.

14. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 18, 2013

I tend to have that attitude too. I'm speaking specifically in my own state (CA), and my own grade level (elementary). Things are extremely impacted in terms of hiring (i.e. 500+ applicants per job, in most any urban/suburban setting).

I'm in Southern CA, and when a listing for a position in the San Diego area comes up, or something in the Bay area comes up (not that I only focus on those areas), I think that I'm wasting my time (getting materials together, answer essay questions yet again). TBH, I have no idea why they even list their positions.

15. jwilso22

jwilso22 Rookie

Jul 18, 2013

I think you can get hired out of state. My phone has been off the hook from NC, but I don't think I want the low pay. I live in MI, although I've been offered a job here too every year. I think it really just depends on the market. Also, Clark County in Nevada seems to hire from out of town as well. Good luck on your search.

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2013

I got hired out of state over the phone for my first job 3 years ago. I used to teach/live in the mountains and they just didn't get a lot of applicants up there as so few people actually live there! I know I beat out a parent who had children at the school. It wasn't where I wanted to be permanently (due to the location) but it was a great school and a really positive experience to start my career. Definitely do your research though. The district I just left recruits in other parts of the state and out of state specifically because those people typically don't know about their horrible reputation.