Problems with my TA

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Proud2BATeacher, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 28, 2007

:help:I am having a big meeting with one of my aides tomorrow. She is overstepping her boundaries and I need to put her in check in a nice way ;). She has been with my program since its birth 2 years ago and seems to think that she gets a say in everything that I do in the classroom. Granted she knows all of the students from last year and 1 from the year before and I value her opinion but she seems to think that if she does not like my idea that I should not do it. She freaked out when I changed a bulletin board and wants to have a meeting before I make changes to any other bulletin board :eek:.

She talked to the 6th grade teacher and requested 2 of her students to come in and read to my students during DEAR time, after I stopped her and my other aide from doing this at the beginning of the school year. My students feel that since they cannot read that they cannot look through a book independently. I have taught them how to do picture walks, make up stories that go with the pictures, find letters and words they know, practice letter sounds... when they need to read independently. Now they are back to "I can't read. I need someone to read to me.":unsure: Now, I do not mind the students coming in but NOT everyday. My students still need to practice reading independently and quietly. It was nice to see them being able to independently sit and look at books quietly for 15 minutes. I will be talking to the 6th grade teacher tomorrow about this...

I have been trying to keep her involved with my ideas for the classroom but her first response to everything I suggest is "NO, it wouldn't work or we have always done it this way, so why change it.". She is seriously worse than the students in regards to change. As long as I explain to the students why things are changing, they are fine. She gets migraines and throws up.

I was a late hire and the administration told her that my students will be mainstreamed for music. She does not like the students to be mainstreamed and decided not to tell me this. I only found out last week when the principal asked me how music was going:(.

She did not talk to me on Thursday because during our team meeting (which was attended by the principal, psychologist, home support worker...) I asked about our sharing circle that we do every morning with the students and what we were suppose to talk about. My aide uses it as a way to pry info. from the students (some come from homes with a lot of involvement from social services), but I am having a hard time with this because I feel these questions should not be asked in front of the other students and that some of them are leading questions. She feels that the benefits outweigh the negatives :confused:. This circle can also last 45 minutes and sometimes leaves us with 15 minutes of math class. I wanted to change our focus during this sharing circle (it is suppose to be a time where the students learn how to converse with each other in an appropriate manner, ask appropriate questions...) and to change it to the afternoon rather than leaving it in the morning during our prime learning (and focus) time. She wants to leave it in the morning because they are too unfocussed in the afternoon :huh:. She can't understand that academics should be taught at a time where they are "focused".

I am going to start documenting some of her inappropriate comments and behavior (the principal asked me to because they have had issues with her in the past), but I need ideas on how to proceed with this meeting. :help:

I can't believe I have to give up a continuous contract next year because I cannot work another year with her :|. Maybe she'll be replaced...:D

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2007

IF the principal asked you to document the aide's behaviors then you will not need to find another placement-she will. Just make sure this documentation does not go in conflict with any union issues.

I would start the meeting by complimenting her on her obvious care for the students and telling her that you value her help. But then I would point out to her the 'music' situation as an example of how her opinions are undermining you and the effectiveness of the program. You are the qualified professional- tell her you want to work as a team but that she needs to understand that you are the one who is responsible for making sure the kids' needs are being met. Her making decisions about their reading or resource time is hindering the meeting of their needs (the mainstreaming aspect of music class could be vital to the social development of your kiddos)...You may also want to tell her that the administration is aware of the situation and that you really don't want to be in a position of 'ratting her out' but that you will have no choice in the matter if she does not respect your authority in the classroom. You may want to refer to a job description if there is one- create one together if there is not.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2007

Proud, I know what you had to go through to get that job. Do not give it up!! Tomorrow I would have a list of the expectations that you have for her. If she argues that they don't do it that way, then you firmly (but nicely) tell her that it might not be the way they are used to doing it, but its the way that you want it done. You have to gently remind her that it is your classroom and not hers. I would do as your principal has requested and just document everything inappropriate.

Good luck!

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 28, 2007

Unfortunately, my program is a district program but it is affiliated with a non-profit christian based association, so she was hired and specially trained by the association and is not a district employee. I think this is why she has lasted as long as she has :down:.

Thank you for the rest of your advice. I hate confrontation and I know that this may end up turning into that because she always feels that she is not valued and that is why changes are being made:unsure:. If it turns into this, I will have to end the meeting and invite the principal to our next meeting. I should be working on IEPs :(.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 28, 2007

I know I was afraid of stepping on toes when I first arrived and maybe this was my mistake... Now, I feel like she has me second guessing myself and I don't like this "me". IT IS TIME TO RECLAIM MY CLASSROOM!!!

7. smalltowngal

Oct 28, 2007

That's the attitude to have Proud! It is YOUR classroom and like czacza stated, you are the professional. I hope that good things come of the meeting tomorrow. Keep us updated!

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 28, 2007

I'll let you know tomorrow what happens...

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 29, 2007

I wanna know how it goes too. I tend to be a devil's advocate and try to explain the aide's perspective but I think this time I agree with you that she is overstepping her boundaries. I think it is okay to have strong opinions but not okay at all to override your decisions.

I laughed though on the BB's. That tends to be a job assigned to aides around here and sometimes we can be territorial about things. For example, my teacher for two years in a row was in sports camp during the first week of school...prep week. This leaves me to have to decide where to put stuff, how to arrange things and how to decorate. The first year I was uncomfortable making those decisions and second guessed it a lot. This year I was okay with it and knew what to do. What I didn't expect was we had to suddenly cram 2 rooms into 1 room this year. It's not my stuff. I can't throw that much stuff out. How was I supposed to make it fit? I spent a WEEK organizing the stuff. So you can imagine that I got territorial if she tried to put Language Arts stuff with Math stuff, etc. I didn't mind her changing it necessarily if it made sense but not just because she didn't know where to put it. She laughed at me because now she calls "reorganizing the room" my territory and consults me before she does anything. I didn't tell her she had to but I literally froze up everytime something moved in a totally different place. If I had been doing BB's for quite some time and someone started messing with it, I think I would be territorial too. It's not rational really. I would rather someone else do the BB's because I hate doing them. But I admit everytime I am really really behind and not picking up the slack on changing the BB like my teacher wants, all she has to do is start doing it and I feel the urge to pretty it up. That sounds mean but trust me when I say the two of us are not artistic. I usually have researched an idea and just have not had time to put it up (this happened twice last year). She knows me pretty well though. She knows this is the way to jump start me without offending me. She's a pretty clever sometimes. :p

Sometimes I will have strong feelings and you will know how I feel. Then I back off and tell her it's up to her. Sometimes I state my opinion and don't back off but she tells me her opinion in a way that I know it is the end of discussion. Interestingly though I know she still heard what I said because while sometimes she sticks to her decision, sometimes she doesn't. It suprises me so I ask her why and she will tell me what I said that changed her mind. I'm asked for feedback a lot so I know it's okay to speak my mind just like she knows I really am okay with any decision she makes. But here is the important part...it took us time to build that bond of trust to do that.

The other stuff though....tooo much. Chances are if the P has asked you to document, you are right on track with your instincts. There's a fine line.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 29, 2007

The thing with the BB is that when I started they said there was nothing on the bulletin boards and they just put things up so the students wouldn't come in to a blank bulletin board, so I did not think it was a big deal when I moved things over. The BB was ALL words and had no pictures and with only 2 of our children reading it does not make sense to me especially since they did not even read it the students.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 29, 2007

Well...I had my meeting and I literally felt attacked. Both of my aides sat in so I think the "main" one I was meeting with felt like she had more power. She is a very direct and intimidating person and I am not. I know I should have walked out of the meeting and I will next time. She was upset that I asked my assistant principal a question and did not come to her first because "she could have answered it" and she actually told me that she will always be upset when I go to someone else to answer a question that I may have about "our" students and "our" classroom. I told her then she will be upset a lot because I do plan on asking my administration questions.

She wants us to be a team which is what I want but she also stated that if she disagrees with something that I want to do then she would expect me not to do it or else she will be upset.

My other aide pretty much agreed with everything she said, which is to be expected since she was trained by this aide and they are friends outside of the classroom. I really didn't think about this 2 against 1 thing when I planned the meeting. They want to be a team when it suits them. I am not allowed to ask them to photocopy, put something together, color (which I knew ahead of time).... and they never offer, even when they are sitting there doing nothing but watching me teach. They have never wiped off the whiteboard, put away chairs.... YAY, Team!

Oh and she made it my fault that DEAR time with the 6th graders were changing. I told her that that no one spoke to me before plans were finalized for DEAR time. I told her that they were told that I did not have a problem with the 6th graders coming in to read by I did not want them there everyday and what did she do...get them to come in everyday. So, yes it will have to change or they will not be coming in at all. Her response "Oh what, now it is all of your decision and I don't get a say?!". I said, "In this case, yes.".

I hate to admit this, but I actually told them that I will not work in this class next year. I actually hate coming in, in the mornings and having to look at them.... I had to get up from the meeting twice because I thought I was going to cry out of frustration.

I did talk to my principal after the meeting and she will be going to the place that hired them to ask for a description of their role. I will be going swimming with some teachers from the place that hired them and I do plan on quizzing them about what the role their aides play in their classroom, expectations...

My principal has offered to sit in our weekly meeting to even things out. I am going to do one more on my own and then I will let her know if I need her. I don't swear but when I think of them I say %%$#^&*(&% alot :rolleyes:.

12. smalltowngal

Oct 29, 2007

Proud, this situation sounds horrible. I'm not normally a confrontational person, but when I was reading what happened in your meeting, all I could think about was I would have told her "If you want to run this classroom, then go out and get your degree!"

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 29, 2007

Who is this person's direct supervisor? If it is you, then you need to put the smack down. Forget that business of 'I'm not confrontational'-be the boss and lay down the law. In my school, the sped teacher is the aides' supervisor. If she assigns them duties, they do it. She also has to evaluate them periodically (I know this b/c my mother used to be an aide).

If you are not the supervisor, find that person immediately. Inform them of the situation, and demand a job description yesterday. Then ask them to come in and have a sit down meeting with these aides. This is blatent insubordination, and has to cease!!!

(Rubbing Proud's shoulders like a prized boxer before a match)
    You can do this! Be tough! You worked hard to get to the position you have-don't let someone treat you like this. We're behind you!

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 29, 2007

:D. Unfortunately, rumor has it her direct supervisor is going to be fired because she is really just useless:rolleyes:.. She does a lot of "I understand how you are feeling", "I can hear you are frustrated..." and "What I hear you saying is...", but she does not want to give any direction. My aide is quite proud about saying that she can get her to do whatever she wants. At first I thought this will would be good..:eek:.

The way that the program was set it, it appears that I am not her direct supervisor or that I have any control over what she does unless she is acting inappropriately towards the children. I am just really confused over what is really anyone's role in the classroom and where the boundaries are because the place that hired them have only given me vague "verbal" guidelines. If the written job description my principal gets is vague, I will like their "place of employment", my principal and all involved to meet and write down their job description specifically for my program. I think this is the only way I can tell her, "NO, you are overstepping your boundarie!".

I hate my aides, I hate my aides, I hate my aides..... if weren't for my students...

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 30, 2007

The idea of who does what duty can become a little vague at times because in an ideal classroom the person who has that strength should do it. However, the decision making is always done by the teacher and that is because the ultimate legal responsibility is the teachers. So whatever isn't done, the teacher is responsible for doing. This means a teacher can't refuse to do a job, but an aide can (within reason). This also means the teacher has the right to veto someone else's idea (sometimes we don't like it but that's the reality). So there are pros and cons to both sides, but the boundaries are more in the decision making power and legal responsibilities than in the duties themselves (for most things, there are exceptions...such as IEPS.

My teacher tends to respect what I say (solicited or unsolicited) and will most of the time refrain from doing something if I object. She knows, however, if she decides to do it I will not get in her way and I will still respect her decision. I understand that ultimately she makes the decision. I appreciate that she respects me enough to let me have a lot of say in her room. For the students sake, this is really a good thing. In the end, the buck stops with her. The difference is your aide obviously feels threatened every time she isn't agreed with. She obviously doesn't understand the structure of this whole set up. EEKKK.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 30, 2007

I have been an aide for 3 years, I have hired and trained aides for 7 aides and I have worked directly with aides in my classroom for 3 years. This by far is the most screwed up classroom in terms of roles and responsibilities that I have ever been a part of.

I do respect what my aide has to say but I have to look at the class as a whole not how 1 student may or not behave. She has even directed me not to sing a song with them at the end of the day because they get really talkative and they "may" have behaviors. They haven't had any behaviors other than singing the song while they get ready to go home but because they might, she doesn't want me to. I look at it as a learning experiences. If you want to sing, you have to do ______ and if you can't do ______ then we can't sing. This kids are suppose to be transitioned to a regular ed. class with no support; they have to learn self-control and the best place to learn that is in my classroom. We need them to have behaviors now, so we can help them work through them and cope because in a regular ed. class they will just be sent into the hall, to the office or home.

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 30, 2007

Your principal needs to get some guts and stand up to this person. YOU ARE THE TEACHER. YOU SHOULD BE IN CONTROL. Your principal should tell the powers to be that you have the authority.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 30, 2007

I agree it is screwed up...even from an aide's point of view. ;)

That's the role of a teacher...you have to look at the bigger picture. Absolutely. That's why you have to make the final decision.

I don't have a problem with an aide making a "suggestion" that a song may get them too riled up. Many aides have a stronger classroom management position than others and sometimes we see smaller details. HOWEVER.....It is STILL your final decision whether to take that suggestion or not based on your own expertise. You have final say. What makes me agree the most that this classroom is screwed up is the idea that she has that you should NEVER not follow something that she doesn't agree to. WRONG!

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 30, 2007

I'm posting so I can keep track of this thread. I started reading when you first posted, then lost it. I'm interested on what comes out of this.

Actually, I've become a little angry. I can't believe you have to put up with this! My principal would have been all over that aide. She seems to think she's teaching you your place in the classroom, when it shouldn't be that way at all. You are the teacher. You will be the one blamed for anything that goes wrong. Please keep us posted on how this turns out.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2007

Invite the principal in for the next meeting- schedule it for early next week. Start the meeting by stating you want to clarify the roles of all parties involved, that you want to work as a team and that you want to establish procedures and guidelines which will be followed from here on. Re-state what was said at the last meeting- your concerns about classroom management, etc. Don't let it become a finger pointing contest. Just clarify roles and responsibilities. Having the written job description from the agency that hired them would be extremely helpful. Having your job description would be great as well... Ask the pricipal his/her advice about how to best guide the meeting. Tell the principal that you want him/her to help you better define the conditions, roles and responsibilities. DON"T let them drive you out.

21. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 31, 2007

My principal is in the same boat with me. She is suppose to be the principal of the "school" section of this non-profit christian agency (they have a school of about 50 students at their site) that hired my aides but they are doing things behind her back and not telling her things. She is at this site twice a week and only finds things out from hearing snippets of conversations or after the fact during a meeting. They won't even get their tech person to add her to their school e-mail; athough they say that they asked him to :eek:. The principal last year let them do whatever they wanted, so they are not used to taking direction or answering to anybody. We are both very frustrated and trying to act as professional as possible...

I just really think the school district should make them go "private", so that when they want to mainstream students into a public ed. school then the school district can tell them what the roles and responsibles of their aides will be.

This year, the only way changes will occur is if an outside body from the union comes in and we go though roles and responsibilites on paper.

22. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 31, 2007

Well, the principal stopped me when I went into school this morning. It seems that the agency that hired my problem aide is "expecting" a blow out between me and her :eek:. She thinks that they want to use this blow out as an excuse to fire her. Needless to say, my principal is MAD that she was not told of an issue with this aide ahead of time. The aide has been in the school with my program for two years and it is my principal's first year at the school. The principal is away for 3 day next week and is afraid that there will be a problem between me and the aide. I had to assure her that I would not be creating a problem without her there to cover me or at least catch my head as it rolls by :p.

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 31, 2007

We are run by the state with the accountability to the legislature and the state attorney general. We still have some of those same issues and nobody knows exactly what is the roles and responsibilities of each. Everybody leaves things until someone doesn't like it. I think that only really changes if the management directly in charge makes that distinction themselves and enforces it. It's kinda hard because every class makeup is different and the chemistry between the teacher/aide is different. BUT... there are some role distinctions. Some schools are only vaguely aware of them.

Every school environment is different and thus there aren't any real guidelines that apply to all aides in all schools but here are a few websites you might want to check out to see their para handbook or ideas about para/teacher relationships or role distinctions.

http://sped.lausd.net/sepg2s/pdf/guides/paraprohandbook0607.pdf
    http://faculty.unlv.edu/daniello/directingtheactivitiesoftheparaprofessional.pdf
    http://www.cec.sped.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=4543
    http://www.pen.k12.va.us/VDOE/newvdoe/paraprofessional-manual.pdf

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 31, 2007

Thanks for the websites cutNglue.

25. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 6, 2007

Well, I had a workshop this morning and my assistants did not talk to me all afternoon?! They got on the students for behavior that I had always disciplined them on but they always let slide. I let the behaviors slide today too when they were taking the lead in something and "the dirty looks I got" :).

I only have a 2 drawer filing cabinet for my storing my personal teacher items (books, resources...) and have had all my things in a plastic rubbermaid container for about a month. Today my principal was getting rid of her 4 drawer cabinet so I asked if I could trade it for my 2 drawer cabinet. I thought my assistants would have a heart attack when it was moved in. There is really no where to put it where it will be out of the way because they refuse to move anything in the room (they each have a teacher desk, but they decided where desks would go before I was hired and they chose the prime locations). One of them wouldn't even move her desk over a foot. After the cabinet was brought in, they offered me one of the closets that is loaded with a bunch of crap :eek:hmy:(and no place to put it all if it gets removed). They saw me with my rubbermaid container for a month and said nothing but now that I bring in a piece of furniture that they do not want, now they want to offer me a space in the classroom. Forget it! It will be in the way for the rest of the year unless they decide it will be "okay" to reorganize the room, but at least I will have a place to store my books :)!

26. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 6, 2007

Oh, I would have re-decorated already and put them where I WANTED them... or got rid of their desk entirely... put their crap in a drawer and let them share a table.

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 6, 2007

:lol: I would have too, but all the TAs in the program get a teacher's desk and the crap that I had to put up with when I changed a bulletin board...:eek:; the principal and assistant principal had to be involved but they still want to have a meeting before I change the bulletin board again. I am just getting through the year and getting out of there! They really need to hire a teacher that does mind being told what to do or enjoys meeting over every little thing. I am sure the filing cabinet will be a big issue at our next meeting :eek:hmy:.

28. smalltowngal

Nov 6, 2007

Proud, I would have moved their desk around where I wanted THEM to be. YOU are the teacher and they are overstepping their bounds. You do not need to have their approval nor a meeting in order to change a bulletin board, move desks around, or discipline students.

If you have decided that you aren't coming back next year, then they have already won. I'm sorry that you are having such a hard year with them.

29. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 6, 2007

I think as teachers we see it as overstepping their boundaries but the way my program was set up, we are suppose to be a team and I think this is the problem. There is no line as to when we do not do things as a "team" and that they don't get a say in everything that happens in the classroom. With 2 aides, no matter what we vote on (which is what they want to do), they will win.

They want to be a team only when they want something, but they think it is fine if they decide on something together and tell me after the fact. Like with bringing in 6th graders to read to my students during DEAR time without my permission. I stopped this and now my students feel like they cannot read alone "again". My TAs can't seem to understand that just because they can't read doesn't mean that they can't make up a story, sound out words, practice letter sounds... I had the students thinking that they were reading in their own way and now we are back to "I can't do it. I can't read..."

30. smalltowngal

Nov 6, 2007

Proud, it sounds like you have some year ahead of you. Here's a :hugs: to try to get your through it!

31. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 6, 2007

Thanx:D! I feel totally drained and that the enthusiam that I have during my lessons is just an act. It's sad when you have to tell yourself to smile at something a student is saying because you feel the 2 people in your room who are suppose to be helping you are constantly judging everything you do and taking notes so that they will have something to throw in your face when you have a disagreement.:(

32. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 7, 2007

Teams have boundaries. I feel like my teacher and I are definately a team but we have our roles. Sometimes the roles are blurred because we do what each of us has the most strength to carry that duty out but at the end of the day she is responsible for making sure curriculum is met and IEP goals are met. As a teacher who follows a team philosophy she may acknowledge that sometimes I am better at modifying something or carrying out a specific role, but in the end if it doesn't get done, it is all on her. So we have it set up to where I can tell her anything I feel or think and she can take it or leave it. She can ask more questions, she can decide she likes it and who gets to implement it, she can hold on to it for future consideration or she can flat out decide she doesn't want to see it. She often asks my opinion and sometimes she uses it and sometimes she doesn't. At the end, the role is she is the decision maker. As a team player she takes decisions and thoughts from all parties and decides what to do with it. Kinda like on a commitee, someone has to lead it. Not having the last say reduces your effectiveness to carry out your legal duties.

33. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 7, 2007

This is my 11th year working with teacher assistants. I used to be one, I hired them and I trained them. I only had 1 that I had to fire because she would not follow simple directions and she turned everything into a craft because she loved doing crafts. I had to get my TA switched to another class because due to her disability she could not handle the open-endedness of my program and really needed the "scripted" reading and writing program that the other class had.

This is the worst I feel in regard to assistants. If I was their coordinator they would have already gotten a stern talking to and one of them would have been fired. I seriously feel uncomfortable in my own classroom when it is just the 3 of us. I usually just take my things and leave and work in the staff room. It is hard to be in a room with 2 people whispering around you or who stop whispering when you go near them to get something. Unfortunately they have to work until 4 pm, so I am pretty well kicked out of my room for 40 minutes every day.

144 more school days to go...

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 7, 2007

I once had a sub who literally could not understand that I wanted her to cut the paper down to a smaller size. I gave her a sample peice of paper. I told her what I wanted. I showed her how to do it by picking up the sissors and doing it in front of her. She still could not figure out what I wanted. I got distracted for a moment with all the interupptions and she managed to screw up their mother's day projects and we had to redo 2 days worth of work. At least I could get rid of her a the end of the day. I can't believe they tolerate all that from those two. Seriously.

35. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 7, 2007

Oh my. I just found this post and I am stunned!

Proud, you need to get your Irish dander up and get in there THIS WEEKEND and redecorate your room, clean out that closet, rearrange the desks, put up psychadelic BBs!! I ma not kidding in the least.

This makes me so mad I want to come to your town and do it for you! I am steaming, and I don't get mad very often.

I am telling you, you go in your room this weekend and do something major. You start throwing your weight around. I love the line "If you want to make the decisions, go get the degree. From here on out, I am the team leader and if you don't like it, go back to school."

There is a place you can go to, it is right beyond anger, and it is a very strong, focused, calm place. There is no yelling or waffling there. Go there. Go make that your place. When I am in this situation, I keep repeating to myself "Steel. I am made of steel."

I am telling you, I would change something everyday. I would send a memo to every teacher in the school advising them that anything done with your students must be authorized by you.

This is just plain bullying. You go in there and teach those kids and sing with them and focus your eyes on those kids and do not let your eyes see anyone else in that room. Not speaking to you for days! Bullying.

36. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 7, 2007

There. My Irish dander is up.

37. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 7, 2007

:woot:

YOU SAID IT!:woot:

38. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 7, 2007

bonne hit the nail on the head with the bullying...

You can not let them bully you. Be assertive. Change the room around, put their desks out in the hall (ok, maybe not... :lol: )

But make some major changes.

39. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 7, 2007

If they start making rude comments, arguing with you, etc., just do what we tell our kids to do. Smile real big and go on with your plans. Don't even reply.

40. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 7, 2007

A teacher who can't change her bulletin board or sing a song that she wants? Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME? SERIOUSLY. I'm afraid that you have been beaten down so much that you are beginning to think this is ok. IN NO WAY is it ok for an aide to tell you that YOU CAN NOT do something in YOUR CLASSROOM. Stay strong, document, document, document, the TOTAL overstepping of boundaries and COMPLETE insubordination. Even if you are not there next year. Do you really want another teacher to go through what you have experienced? Help get her fired if that is what it takes. Be STRONG!!!:2up:

41. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 7, 2007

Try the broken record approach.

"YOU CHANGED THAT BULLETIN BOARD WITHOUT TELLING ME? ARE YOU NUTS? THAT IS MY JOB!!"

"I think the kids will really like it."

"HOW DARE YOU DO THAT WITHOUT CONSULTING ME? THAT IS MY JOB! I WAS GOING TO PUT UP BONNIE AND CLYDE!"

"WHAT, ARE YOU CRAZY? I AM TELLING YOU NOT TO CHANGE ANYTHING WITHOUT TALKING TO ME FIRST! THIS IS A TEAM JOB!"

(squinty little eyes and my mouth in fighting position - dukes up)