Problems with feet after standing long periods of time

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Sep 16, 2015.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2015

I was in a pretty bad car accident a few years back and I had lots of surgeries done to both of my ankles and feet. It is still hard for me to stand/walk/run for long periods of time, but standing is almost the worst. I also need to periodically put my foot up to reduce the swelling since I still have issues with that.

In the past years I've taught mostly from my feet, but definitely had down time where I could sit and some time when I could put my foot up. The problem this year is that a) my principal walks to our classrooms every day and b) all my classes are back-to-back. Twice now he's come in while I'm sitting, once while I had my foot up, and I'm worried he's thinking that I'm lazy. Because of that I've been forcing myself to stand during the entire class for all my classes and my ankles are just not happy about it. In fact right now I'm doing all of the RICE letters plus ibuprofen. There's no way I can make it through the year like this.

I'm going to buy myself a stool so I'm not completely sitting down, but I can still rest, but I'm wondering if this is something I should write about to my principal. He asked me about my foot when it was up and I told him quickly I've had multiple surgeries and need to put it up sometimes, but it wasn't a full explanation. This is my first year at this school and I really don't want anyone to think poorly of me. But I also don't want to randomly send an email that isn't needed.

So thoughts? If I do send an email, what should I say?

Thanks!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 16, 2015

I would probably get a doctor's note (or take some sort of documentation that you already have) and go talk to him in person. Just explain what you've said here: that you don't want him to think poorly of you but that you require medically-necessary reasonable accommodations, such as being permitted to sit throughout the day. You could send it in an email, but you'll probably get better feedback (an idea of how he really feels about it), if you have the conversation in person. It's hard to believe he'd be mad about it, if you have such a valid reason, but you'll get to really gauge how he feels about it by seeing his facial expressions and hearing his tone of voice.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2015

I would get paperwork and request disability accommodations.

I've had multiple surgeries as well and absolutely cannot stand or walk much. I use various stools or counters around the room so I'm moving around and maintaining proximity, but I'm not ever going to be observed on my feet for more than 5 minutes at a time. It can be done if you are flexible and creative about it and plan ahead.

I would also stagger lab days or activities that would require extra amounts of my leaning over tables helping.

Even with disability accommodations, I've had previous employers give me grief. You wouldn't believe the trouble I've had with parking (admin had their spots right by the door, but it took 6 MONTHS for them to put up a reserved sign on my spot. There used to be a disabled spot, but that was removed to make room for a new admin spot). So definitely get accommodations to protect yourself.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 16, 2015

I would let him know. But I also don't think it's bad that you're sitting. I often teach my smaller classes sitting down if we're doing discussion based lessons. I can still easily see what's going on because of how I have it structured.

I would hope he's understanding. If not get a doctor's note.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2015

Other than the great suggestions....try pantyhose that are labeled 'with support'. Or support socks. Or support hose.
    I used to have tired legs in the fall due to so much time standing but my lifestyle has changed and I ran 2-3 miles a day all summer so I'm feeling good -and I never wear pantyhose , rarely tights-only for fashion reasons. But when I had leg issues the pantyhose with support helped.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 16, 2015

You have the right to address your health needs. Speak to the principal and provide documentation if requested. You might want to get custom orthotics (insoles) made.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 16, 2015

Other than letting your P know, and getting doctor's papers, what if you sit in one of the students' chairs? I'm usually on my feet, and by 5th period I get a little tired. So I sit in one of the student chairs, and turn it towards them. It seems more informal (which I like) I'm still doing my job, and if the P came in, she couldn't think that I'm being lazy.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2015

I wouldn't email. I feel like this would be better as a face to face conversation.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 16, 2015

Your health comes first. Do whatever the doctor says. I agree with giraffe that this conversation with the P should be in person.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 16, 2015

I'm surprised you didn't have your doctor's note &/or other documentation & have this be one of the first things you talk to the P about right before or as school first started. If this is still your first week of school, please talk to the P ASAP.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2015

Doesn't matter what week it is. Go talk to your P about your needs. Taking an occasional seating break doesn't denote that you've somehow stopped teaching and I doubt is even a thought your P was having. Just open up the dialog ...I'm sure your P will understand.:love:

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2015

I would definitely take documentation and talk to your P face to face.