problems with English language

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by kenny1999, Feb 24, 2011.

1. kenny1999

kenny1999 Rookie

Feb 24, 2011

hello i am a new English teacher, I have some questions about Eng language that I'd like to ask.

I am now teaching my students the topic of "Adjective Clauses"

Now, I have a questions. If I want to combine the following two sentences into one with the use of adjective clauses "whose". Which of the following answers should be correct? And how to explain it to my students?

The question is:

Q. Thailand Bank is an international bank. Its staff are very polite and efficient.

Which of the following answers is correct?

A. Thailand Bank whose staff are very polite and efficient is an international bank.

B. Thailand Bank is an international bank whose staff are very polite and efficient.

Actually I think B is correct but I don't know how to explain it to my students, and I also don't know their difference.

Hope some experienced persons would help. Thanks

3. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Feb 24, 2011

"A" could be correct if it was phrased as an appositive:
    Thailand Bank, whose staff are very polite and efficient, is an international bank.

As it, it has a misplaced modifier (the verb follows "staff" rather than "bank."

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 24, 2011

I can think of circumstances in which (or tweakings with which) each of the three versions in play would be appropriate:

A. Thailand Bank whose staff are very polite and efficient is an international bank, but Thailand Bank whose staff are rude is a local bank. In this sentence the relative clauses (the clauses beginning with whose) are restrictive: they tell us which Thailand Bank we're looking for. I would cheerfully wager my favorite chocolate that that's not what's wanted here, however.

B. Thailand Bank is an international bank whose staff are very polite and efficient. This sentence is probably the answer that's required. It could introduce a paragraph in which the staff are discussed. It could also introduce a paragraph about the bank, though in that case the clause about the staff looks like a digression.

(In British English, staff (and other collective nouns like family and company) can take plural verbs: The company are pleased to announce the hiring of...)

C. Thailand Bank, whose staff are very polite and efficient, is an international bank. In this sentence, the whose-clause is a nonrestrictive relative clause: it doesn't tell us which Thailand Bank we're looking for, it simply gives us more information about it. This sentence could introduce a paragraph about the bank.

None of these is an appositive clause, by the way.

5. kenny1999

kenny1999 Rookie

Feb 25, 2011

thanks

but how about the difference between these two? (with or without comma)

Thailand Bank is an international bank, whose staff are polite and efficient.

Thailand Bank is an international bank whose staff are polite and efficient.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 25, 2011

Hm. In the version without the comma, the entire phrase "an international bank whose staff are polite and efficient" modifies "Thailand Bank", and that's likeliest to be the reading you want. That is, it says that Thailand Bank is the sort of international bank that has polite and efficient staff (which implies that there are international banks that DON'T have polite and efficient staff).

The version with the comma is likely to be read as meaning that Thailand Bank is an international bank, and one attribute of international banks as a class is that they have polite and efficient staff. I doubt that's the reading that you want, however.