Problems with assistant

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lindsnh, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Sep 22, 2008

I am a first year teacher in second grade. There are 6 second grade teachers and we have a floating assistant that comes in to each of our rooms for 45 minutes a day. I am having a problem with her trying to take over my class. Examples: Today we were watching a video I allowed a few students to move so they could see the screen. She yells at them "you don't need to move, go back to your desk" umm hello?? I am the teacher not you! She used to be the 6th grade assistant so I guess she is in that mindset. She calls parents w/o my permission to tell them their child is "talking" and it is starting problems between the parents and me. She always has a comment for everything, such as my procedures, my teaching , ect. She always arrives late to my class each time she is scheduled and has to leave to do "something". She is susposed to be assisting me, but I have yet to see that. :help:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2008

I would make a list of duties (or pull it from the handbook if available) and sit down with the assistant. Ask her what she is wanting to get out of being in your classroom, and then discuss what you would like to see from her in your classroom. Tell her that what she is doing is not acceptable. If she continues to do it then I would go to her supervisor or the principal. I wish you luck!

4. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Sep 22, 2008

I agree with smalltowngal's advice. That is unacceptable with how she is behaving. I hope it gets better soon!

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 22, 2008

I would talk to the other teachers on your team. See how they use her. Than I would sit down with her and tell her how things are going to work in your room. If need be pull the principal in on it. She should not be calling parents!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 22, 2008

My advice: Figure out what she is good at and start using that to make her feel like she is on your team. THEN you can integrate changes you want her to make to assist you better.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 22, 2008

Do you really need her? Do you have to have her in the room? Sounds like she is more hinderance than help. In that case, if I could get rid of her I would. OR send her out of the room to do stuff, copies, anything.

8. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Sep 22, 2008

I have an "assistant" that comes in a couple times a week and I'm supposed to have her for 45-60 min or so. After she messed up photocopies twice and screamed at one of my students (from across the room as I was standing with him,) every time she comes in I just tell her that I'm good to go & she can go help 1st grade. She had refused to make copies lately saying it was "a waste of her time."

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 22, 2008

I would absolutely not tolerate someone calling my kids' parents! I would go to her supervisor or the principal, or both, immeditaely.

10. Ddz64

Ddz64 New Member

Sep 22, 2008

Oh, my gosh. Attack of the assitant. At least yours gets involed in the class. I have a so called full time assistant who is a waste of space in my class. She does nothing. I asked her to make photocopies and she said, "Whats that." I'm still waiting for the punch line. Every class has a full time assistant, but mine is a waste. I'm better off without her. I have to walk her through life. Like why she shouldn't be sucking on a Blow Pop in front of the kids. She dissappears for no reason. Recieves personal rude calls on my classroom phone. And on two occassions while she was taking over the class, while I had PD. I had students in the hall without her knowing it. I try to be nice, but shes just too out there. The principle basically said they hired her because she was cheap. Cheap she is, she dresses like a street walker with cut up provocative shirts and skirts. I swear shes a recovering drug addict or something. Somethings just not right about her.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 23, 2008

Speaking from experience...

Chances are she came from an environment that did just those duties. She needs equally challenging but equally acceptable by you type duties to assume in her new role. Don't relegate her to the mundane chores. Don't make her feel like she has no authority in that room. Just clarify what it is. Seek out her strengths and not only use them but be amazed by them. She needs some validation. It's hard going from one classroom to another and having totally different expectations and not really being able to figure out where we stand and how we can really be a part of the team.