Problematic Picture

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Milsey, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2012

When I search my name I get a bunch of cakes and a picture of my parents... but nothing bad and nothing of me.

2. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 19, 2012

Same here. TONS of people share my name (including a pretty well known English professor), so I don't show up anywhere in the first 10 pages of Google searching. I didn't look beyond that.

What's disturbing about employers Googling people is that they *don't* necessarily know that there are lots of people with your name or that you're NOT the one that shows up being spanked or whatever. I would hate to have someone judge me based on another person's behavior who shared the same name.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

Any employer googling me would know which one I am. The SAT class and the fact that I've written freelance articles are mentioned in my resume, and both came up right up top of the Google search.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

But what about the images?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

The only image I saw was someone who more or less fits my description.

But I just checked... her picture is on her Twitter account. Everything but her name is in Italian.

So I think it would be pretty easy to decipher who I am.

And the Twitter link is the 8th one down on Google; the first 7 are me.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 20, 2012

I googled everyone in my family...on pictures nothing showed up for me, my husband had won and judged national livestock shows and those pictures show up, and both of my kids have won national shows and that shows up. My son also shows up for winning a national livestock judging competition.

When you google my husbands "real" name...the legal one he was given but never went by...an unusual artist and a killer show up with articles about him being an agriculture teacher.

My name shows up articles about grants I have written, my National Boards, and charity work I have done.

I am ok with that.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

Nothing much shows up for me. Despite my last name seeming rare it's actually VERY common in different areas! The first few links that pop up are to mugshots (of course).

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 20, 2012

I'm pretty sure most of them are smart enough to not do that. I imagine most of the googling takes place after they have someone in mind for the position, just as a check.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

Let's hope so! I've seen some administrators do some pretty dumb things, though. ;)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

And I'm sure that seasoned administrators have seen some teachers and candidates do some pretty dumb things...hence the need to Google them.:lol:

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 20, 2012

Well if they do it, count is as a blessing that you wouldn't be hired to work for them!

12. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 20, 2012

Tattoo it backwards so they can read it in the mirror every day!:D

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 20, 2012

Just did a Google Image search of myself. Two of the pics were ones taken by my school. A third goes to my (locked) Twitter account. The rest either have nothing to do with me or lead back to articles I wrote for a now-defunct reality television blog. It's a good idea to do that check every couple of months, especially if you're on any kind of social media.

14. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 20, 2012

It's definitely a good idea to Google yourself regularly. You never know what might be posted without your knowledge. There was a student at my school in the past year who took it upon himself to create fake Twitter and Facebook accounts in my name. He was posting ridiculous status updates on the Twitter account. (I didn't even know the kid--never had a conversation with him.) Luckily I caught it early on and my administration handled it swiftly. Despite the Twitter account being taken down, it was still searchable for a couple of months on Google. When I contacted Twitter about this, they said that Google sometimes takes a while to have old pages removed. Luckily it's off now. Just yesterday a fake Facebook profile was made for a math teacher from school, and several other teachers were sent friend requests. It's always safe to be proactive by searching for yourself and making sure your name is clear!

15. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jul 21, 2012

One nice thing about being a woman who got married JUST before I started teaching, and married a man with a VERY common last name - when you Google my married name, absolutely nothing about me shows up!

My maiden name is a bit different, since it is quite unique - for images, my Mom's Facebook head shot (kind of weird that it was my Mom's...) so nothing bad, and just general stuff like LinkedIn and Amazon for the general search.

But no one really even knows my maiden name at my school - administrators, teachers, or students! :)

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2012

I'm very careful what I post online because I am the only one in the world with my distinctive first and last name...my husband's grandparents emigrated through Ellis Island and changed the spelling of their last name...so if I am going to be searched, I want just school or hobby items popping up.

17. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 21, 2012

There are almost 2,000 people with my same first and last name in the United States. Google away, students!