Problematic Picture

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Milsey, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 13, 2012

How do I get a photo off Google images? Everytime I google my name up pops a photo of me in my bikini.
    I've e-mailed the company twice, but it's still up there.

I'm worried it's affecting my job search, and that some student will find it and paste it up on the walls or something.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

How did it get there?

I know nothing about this sort of stuff, but is it possible that the person who posted it needs to be the person who removes it?

I would persue this agressively. I think it WOULD affect your job search-- not the picture, but your judgement in allowing it to remain posted.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

Where is the original picture? Whenever I click an image on Google Images, it takes me to the site where the photo is found. That's where you need to remove it from. If it stays, you can be assured that your students will find it, as will potential employers.

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 13, 2012

Google "how to get my picture off Google images." I did and came up with some ideas. Apparently, though, the FIRST step is to find all the places the picture is hosted (facebook, twitter, instagram, etc.) and remove it.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

You may need to contact the server that hosts the website that the picture is on. It's kind of a pain to remove things from the web once they are there.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

I wish each and every person who posts ANYTHING online would tattoo this on their foreheads.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

Hmmmm....I was somewhat called out yesterday for my 'cloak of anonymity'...as if there as something wrong with that...
    There's nothing wrong about a picture of someone in a bathing suit, but couple that with other personal information some share on the Internet and you've got a 'perfect storm'...just saying....be guided accordingly. :dizzy::wow:
    But then again, it could be any of a number of factors that affect one's job search...:whistle:

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 13, 2012

Bathing suits are legal. As long as you aren't doing anything ridiculous in your bikini, you should be fine. Just get to those interviews and show them how professional you can be in their setting.

10. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 13, 2012

Most images I've come across of people I know on Google are pulled directly from their social networking site. Do you have this picture on your Facebook etc? Hopefully you're the person who posted it, and it's not from one of your friends accounts. I would think if you removed it from the original source, Google wouldn't have anywhere from which to pull...

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2012

What is so wrong with the picture?

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2012

I googled to and found many resources for taking down the picture. There was even a video!

I really don't think that one picture of a bikini would stop you from getting a job. There is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying yourself in appropriate swimwear. I would absolutely want to get the picure removed before I had students. Even if the people hiring you don't google you, the students probably will.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

Honestly, I think it's the big picture that matters.

A single picture of you in a bikini? Probably not the wisest choice to have online, but in and of itself not a huge issue.

But look at some of the other things you've posted here. We know a LOT about the difficulties you've had, the things you've gotten reprimanded for. All that, combined with the picture, probably account for some of your current difficulties in the job search.

I think that removing the bikini picture is probably a good starting place. Then take a look at some of what you've posted here, and elsewhere if it applies, and edit as much as is possible.

Above all though, be careful about what you post in the future. If you're having difficulties with kids or administration, PM someone and ask for advice, as opposed to posting for all the world to see. You'll still get the advice you want, without needing to do damage control afterwards.

14. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 14, 2012

How would the principals even know that it's you in the picture? I just checked Google Images for myself, and a picture of SOMEONE in a bikini is in the first few photos, but it's not me. There are also several mug shots, and several photos of men. Not a single one of those photos is of me. Unless you have a unique name and every one of the first dozen photos shows the same person, I don't see how the principals would know that it's you in the photo.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

I'm with you, KateL and Alice...just googled myself...images include a pic of me from LinkedIn, a few images from my class website, a picture of my son, my MIL, and lots of photos of people who ARE NOT me...ONE is a model in a swimsuit....nothing controversial, and unless an employer knew what I looked like already, they would have an impossible time discerning which photo on google images was the 'real me'. It's more likely that other factors, including a review of work history or calls to previous employers, present more of a stumbling block for the OP than a swimsuit photo.

16. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2012

I just googled myself and got nothing. I'm pleased to be under the radar. :D

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

Gotta love the 'cloak of anonymity':D

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 14, 2012

I googled myself and the only things that come up are from my high school alumni association and a local community event from the newspaper. I'm okay with that.

19. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jul 14, 2012

Ha, I just googled myself and the first picture under images is a co-worker. It has my name and my job details. The 2nd pic shows my cousin...but alas none of me:( (my cousin and I do have the same name)

The co-worker is working on our web page. If you google any of my team they all show her picture. She just started this job (public relations) yesterday at our team workshop.

20. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 14, 2012

I just Googled myself. hundreds of images popped up but only two I recognized - one of my puppy that I took four years ago and one of my deceased father-in-law.

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 14, 2012

When I google my name pictures of a well renowed architect show. I have actually been invited to be the keynote speaker at architecture conventions because we have the same name. I have always politely declined :)

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2012

I live in a beach town. A picture of me on the beach, in a bikini, smiling at the camera would not be cause for alarm down here. A picture of me in a bikini, clearly drunk, flicking off the camera would be a problem.

If you truly believe that the photo is preventing you from finding employment, then do everything you can to have it taken down. Just keep in mind it will remain in the Google cache for several months.

23. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 14, 2012

I think Alice makes a good point. At first I disagreed with her; I don't think a picture of you in appropriate swimwear is necessarily bad. However, in this particular situation I can see how it would affect you. Especially given that one comment you made a few months ago about how you like to "look hot" for the students.

czacza - I'm going to get "cloak of anonymity" trademarked so at least I'll get a quarter each time you pick on me.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

No picking...just making a point about the benefits of not putting it all out there.:thumb:

...and by the way, if you google 'cloak of anonymity', there are over ten pages of hits. Looks like you're out of luck in trademarking it.:lol:

25. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2012

I just googled my name. My daughter and I were on about 4th page of the search. Everyone else was NOT me. So I wouldn't worry about your google search of yourself.

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2012

I just googled my name and only 1 real photo popped up. Just a face portrait. There were a million other pictures of other girls. A couple wearing bikinis, but none were me.

27. catlover

catlover Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

A couple of people have made comments about potential employers seeing the OP's comments on this site and that having a potentially bad result.

I agree with the idea of discretion and professional behavior at a site like this, but I'm not getting how a potential employer would be able to find your comments and/or know that they're yours -- unless you did something like put your real name in your profile or use your real name as your login ID. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

I'm not so sure it's the comments HERE that an employer might find, but the SPECIFICS of what were shared paint a picture of the OP's behaviors, choices and experiences as a teacher. Those things could be what's presenting the problem.

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 18, 2012

I just Google Image'd myself, and a picture of a cartoon pickle with the caption "I'm Kind of a Big Dill" was the first image.

I'm not even kidding.

There was a few of me from newspaper articles I've been in. But I'd be ok with an employer seeing me in my flight suit doing interviews for all of the PD I've done.

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2012

I just googled image myself and didn't come up with any that were me...though there was a questionable picture of a naked man with certain areas covered...alas, a potential employer would know that it wasn't me.

31. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2012

Only 1 image of me was in the 10 pages of images I looked at...apparently there is a male musician with my name in the world :lol:

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2012

Very cool!

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2012

The attractive African American woman covering her boobies with only her hands who appears when you search my name isn't me. :lol:

A few years ago things were more accurate, but now everything you're associated appears. For example, I have a video in my YouTube playlist and a still frame from that comes up with my name. And about a few hundred other things I've either liked, commented on, or so forth. My sisters and brothers come up as well. Point is, the World Wide Web is so large at this point that most people understand it's not a very reliable source in terms of "quick checks".

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2012

I just googled myself.

Most of what came up were links to articles I've written. There's a link to the summer SAT course I teach.

But I did find a Twitter account with a picture that isn't me. Funny enough, she also has blonde hair.

And I found a resume in Italian from someone who shares my name. She was a visiting scolar at UC Berkley a few years ago.

But nothing that would cause me, my family, or my employer any concern.

35. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2012

I'd never thought to "google images" myself before- nothing came up, haha. Not even my fb- I guess because I don't use my last name. I share a bit of an odd first name with a disney character- so that's mostly what all of the pictures are of!

36. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 18, 2012

As long as parents or employers know that the girl being spanked is NOT me in google images, I'm fine! :haha:

37. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 18, 2012

Just FYI, Google has a setting where you can enter a phrase, and when something is posted to the web with that phrase, they will email you. I have my name entered.

It can get annoying though...there is an elite gymnast somewhere out there with my exact name, so every time she competes in a meet I get an alert. Oh, and a famous murder case from a couple years ago, although the spelling is different.

38. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jul 18, 2012

I have, what could be considered, a somewhat common last name and a popular first name, so that works in my favor!

39. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 18, 2012

In my Google search, I seemed to have a very dark skintone. There is another person with my name in the US but lives on the other side of the country as me. Gotta love it!

40. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jul 18, 2012

If you didn't post it, then (unless it were a picture taken by a professional photographer with a legal model release) you could claim the picture was placed without your knowledge or permission. That implies "legal action" is possible, and it might be a way of getting them to respond.

41. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 19, 2012

There's some questionable content when you Google my name, both in images and the general search. None of it has anything to do with me whatsoever! The only thing of mine that shows up is my Facebook profile, which is on complete lock down. I just hope any future employers realize that none of the other stuff is mine. It does worry me a little bit.