Problem with parents HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Miss_J, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Sep 10, 2006

I just received a phone call from my principal. He had received an e-mail from a parent asking that thier child be moved out of my class because of one student. I received a call from another parent last week asking for her child's seat to be moved away from this child as well. THis student (call him X) has been a consistant problem since school started on Wednesday. He hits, pushes, and other things of that nature and when called on it, he lies and says that he does not do it or that it was an accident. I have been documenting the issues as they arise and was going to call home this weekend about it. From what I have heard from other parents, he does this behavior all of the time. I have heard stories about the pool, the park, and that he has been kicked out of preschools. I moved Xs seat the second day of school and have stayed on him about his behavior and by Friday, there was a marked decline in the number of incidents. My principal and I will be calling home on Monday afternoon to discuss the issue with his parents.
    I feel like I totally messed up by not calling last week. I just thought that I saw imporvments and that I wanted more documentation before I called. I did talk to my counselor about it and she said to document. Did I do that wrong thing? What should I do now?? I feel like the worst teacher in the world right now. Help!!!:(

3. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Sep 11, 2006

Well...first of all- you are NOT the worst teacher in the world! It's hard when you feel like you need to answer parents about other children. Clearly, you are unable to discuss another child's issues with parents, so a simple, "I am sorry but I cannot discuss other children with you because of confidentiality, but I can assure you that I am following proper procedures under the direction of my supervisors." Unfortunately, the grapevine of information seems to have filtered down to the parents....but it's best if you discuss child "X" with school-personnel and his own parents. Keep documenting his behaviors, and when they occur, and if possible, can he be referred for evaluation? (whether it's done in a Grade Group or a Tier Two process involving the parents?) This may help to get the ball rolling.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2006

I have been in that same situation. When parents approached me with their concerns, I told them that it was being looked into and will be taken care of...Meanwhile, stay on top of this child and don't give him an inch. He is not deserving. He has to be kept in areas where you can see him at all times until he either gets the point or is removed. You are doing the right thing.

5. benemma

benemma Rookie

Sep 12, 2006

You are not a bad teacher because of this kind of stuff! I promise you that!

Sounds like he needs a behavior plan of some sort. Are his parents on board about this or in denial? You will definitely need parental support on this one. If they are not on board about it, it is time to meet with them and show them the documentation and/or get the principal involved. In the meantime, have him shadow you, stay near you and do your best to reward positive behavior and catch him in the act of good things as much as possible and just redirect, remove and keep your eye on him.

Best of luck to you, I know that problem kids and problem parents can make things very hard. Keep us updated!

6. herins

herins Companion

Sep 12, 2006

I had a similar scenario last year. This boy got remarkedly better through the year. I sat him with many different children before finding the kids who were good with sitting beside him. I don't think you messed up by not calling last week. The first week is a write-off, in my opinion, in regards to figuring things out about children. They are still getting used to sooo many new things. As for other parents, I would reply "we constantly change seating and centre groups, etc., and Kindergarten is a great time to learn how to work and play with many different children".

7. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Sep 16, 2006

Thank you for all of your words of support.
    My principal was not upset that I waited to call, he told me that he understood my hesitation to call on the first week. We brought mom in and she is very supportive. She expected the call. She also told us that he has AHDH and ODD. Her husband didn't want to tell us.
    The other child's parents have also calmed down and are now working with us. I just have to walk on egg shells with them. THey seem to think that their child can do no wrong.
    Again, thanks for your support. What a week!!