Problem with co-worker

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms Petunia, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Jun 14, 2008

Lately I feel like I'm back at High School! I have a Parent Coordinator that favors one teacher over the others. My pc neglects to give me messages right away, she is late completing tasks associated with my classroom, doesn't hesitate to give me suggestions by mentioning what the favored teacher does and makes me feel uncomfortable asking her to call a parent for me etc. etc. I think my pc has a low self esteem because she also loves to talk behind other peoples backs (gossips constantly). She has given me detailed faults of all the other co-workers ( except you know who), which I have no desire to hear, it makes me feel uncomfortable. I am quite sure she talks about me also. The particular teacher she leeches on to is a fantastic teacher and regarded as that by everyone. Therefore I think my pc feels superior by always being in her classroom etc. She is also buddy, buddy with the principal,school secretary and program director making it difficult to complain to them. Do I just ignor this situation or should I approach her? How do I approach her? This situation has been snowballing and it has made me feel inferior.

3. educator

educator Rookie

Jun 14, 2008

Sounds like this person is someone who likes to be in the know, and know the right people. My bet is that the best thing you could do is to ignore, bypass and make sure never to rely on this person. If she believes that she is of no value to you, she may question her value to other teachers. This may lead her to quit or change.

As a side note, be sure and point out to other teachers how "unnecessary" this person is in the overall scheme of things.

A less effective method would be to talk to her, but I doubt it would help.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2008

I don't know if it'll help to talk with her- it might cause more problems for you. Can you find someone who you can depend on to do stuff for you? If the pc forgets or neglects giving you a message, I would approach her about it.

5. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Jun 14, 2008

Thanks guys for your quick response. This problem has been getting to me so much lately that I think about it laying in bed at night.
    educatorSounds like this person is someone who likes to be in the know, and know the right people. My bet is that the best thing you could do is to ignore, bypass and make sure never to rely on this person. If she believes that she is of no value to you, she may question her value to other teachers. This may lead her to quit or change.

This is what I have been doing because I believe approaching her may cause more problems for me.

Mable I will also take your advice about approaching her on late messages. It looks bad for me when a parent leaves a message to call and I do not respond asap. Her tardiness only reflects on me in the long run and this is unfair. The next late message I recieve from her I will briefly explain the importance of getting messages prompt.
    Thanks for helping:)

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2008

:eek: Excuse my "ignorance", but what is a Parent Coordinator and what is their responsibility?

7. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Jun 14, 2008

No problem, I never knew what a parent coordinator was till I started this job. They are responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing program activities including training for parents for example on child development or even scheduling a field trip. They monitor parent involvement activities, and assist teachers in scheduling meetings with parents. I meet with my coordinator on a monthly basis and as needed to collaborate on each student. My coordinator is familiar with each student and family in the program. If my parents need to talk to me or need to leave a message for me (ex. child sick, upset etc.) they call directly to the parent coordinator and she relays the message to me.
    My frustration is that she is doing an exceptional job for this one teacher and neglects me. She is either in this teachers classroom or chatting with the "right people".

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2008

Is this a paid or volunteer position?

Any reason the parents can't deal with you directly? If it was me, I was say so long to the PC and handle my own business.

9. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Jun 14, 2008

This is a paid position. Unfortunately I cannot recieve phone calls directly into my classroom. The main phone is in the office which is answered by my pc, or school secretary if she is not around. The call can be forwarded to my classroom from the office. Many times she takes a message and hands me a scrap paper with my message written on it. Several years ago I suggested that we use carbon message pads so that we can keep track of past messages coming into the office. The program director thought it was a great idea and it was done for several months and then forgotten. My real motive for this suggestion was to end up with a written message waiting for me in my mail box.
    I am going to take the suggestion all of you. Starting this new school year I will take care of myself, field trips, meetings etc and say so long to the pc. This will give me piece of mind. Her lack of responsibility to my classroom is going to catch up with her eventually.