Problem Solving

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 1, 2009

We use the Harcourt Math program. Most of my students do well with it, but I want to add more problem solving activities. My students have math journals, and I have a really great book with daily word problems. I can't figure out how to get that extra time to do this. It could be something for kids to do when they are done, but I have a group of students who will never do this, and we won't have a chance to go over it together. How do you do problem solving in your math program?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

I don't have a packaged program so I can get in problem solving, math games, hands on activities any time I want. Could your kids do the problem solving in their journals as a math warm up or first thing in the morning do now?

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 1, 2009

I feel like I take advantage of every minute possible as it is. In the morning they come in and they write their word wall words on a piece of paper (we do an activity on the back after morning business) and they write in their journal. I feel journal writing is important because we have a writing program where they don't have as much choice as to what they write about. I also want to start doing DOL for grammar... phew. How to get the math in??

Before break, I thought about MWF they write in their writing journals, and TTh they do a problem in their math journals. Instead of doing a word wall activity, we could go over their math problems together. Hmmmmmm. I forgot about this plan!

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 1, 2009

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Feb 1, 2009

I have a problem ready for the kids to do right at the beginning of Math time- for us, it just happens to be when they return from lunch. I give them about 5-10 minutes to solve it as I walk around and offer assistance and we spend about 5 minutes going over it. But we have 65 minutes for Math, so it's not a big deal at all for us. You could have some ready for any time you have a spare 5 minutes...waiting in line to leave for the bus...finish something earlier than expected...etc.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 1, 2009

We were going to have our day extended next year, and I was going to use some of that time for problem solving, but now because of the budget we aren't.

I have Daily Language Practice, YoungTeacherGuy, for second grade. I also have Daily Word Problems, which is what I want to use, I just need to figure out when. I think I might just do the T-Th morning time. Or I guess whenever we do have any extra time it could work, half days when we have a shorter math period, extra time after math tests instead of trying to cram in the next lesson, etc.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 1, 2009

I normally use Daily Word Problems (http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Word-Pr...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233525683&sr=8-1) after we correct Daily Language and Daily Math. We do the daily word problem together as a class (I have a very low bunch this year; last year, students completed it all alone). Anyway, we do each step together and it only takes a couple of minutes or so.

If you implement the "must do/may do" system in your class, you could make the daily word problem a "must do." I dunno...it's just a thought.

Oh, by the way...I COMPLETELY know what you mean about not having enough time in the day to complete everything we'd like to do!!! At the end of the day, I sometimes sit back and think, "Wow, did I really teach all that???" :dizzy:

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 1, 2009

Yep, that's the book I have!

Can you tell me more about the "must do/may do" system?

10. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Feb 25, 2009

My school system has moved to a completely different mode of math. We started using Investigations for math and it's all problem solving. It's a backwards approach to math. Give the kids a problem. They break away into groups, partners whatever to solve it however they can. Then they come back together for a discussion. You allow the kids to come up and share their strategies with each other and intervene when needed. At the end you add any missed information. It's SHOCKING how well this works. All of my students are adding and subtracting with regrouping with little to no issues......amazing@

11. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

Since Harcourt has a problem-solving book, I use that for homework every once in awhile instead of their practice book. I know it means making copies but it does expose them to more problem-solving