Problem pencil sharpeners

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mable, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2007

Help.

I cannot find a pencil sharpener that works. I currently have 3 in my room and NONE work.

I have a manual one, a fancy electric that is brand new and another less expensive electric.

Anyone have a tried and true name brand of electric sharpener that has held up over the years? I need to get it.:D

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 17, 2007

Let me know if you find out. I need a heavy duty electric. I will have to pay for it myself but I figure it will be worth it.

4. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I'm an art teacher, and have finally found an electric pencil sharpener to survive an entire year in the art room (believe me, that's a rarity). It's an Xacto Electric Sharpener #41 by Boston. It is EXPENSIVE... about $160. You can buy it through Sax Art Supply. (they are on the internet, but I'm too much of a newbie to post a link) I've gone through so many sharpeners I can't tell you... usually several in a year. Even the $60 or $80 sharpeners wouldn't make it half way through the year. This one made it all last year and is still working.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2007

I've become quite adept at 'fixing' mine when it gets stubborn. Usually it's just jam packed with shavings. You need to nplug and really claen it out, sometimes take it apart and gt all the dust/shavings out. I have 3 in my room, have taken apart 2 of them and put back together and they all 3 have been working at least 4-5 years each...(I'm not an electrical person either- just unscrew, blow out the dust and screw back together) :lol:

6. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2007

7. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 17, 2007

Best Pencil Sharpener EVER!

This one is spendy, I ordered mine and got it the next day (shipping is free for teachers!). I figure with spending about $100 on electric sharpeners in the past 2 years I might as well spend the money to get a good one.

In 2 days I sharpened 350 pencils. I had my husband time me and it took about 15 seconds to do 20 pencils! A guy at my school has had his for 4 years and it still works great.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...:CG11:CL110300

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  8. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Aug 17, 2007

I don't like the Boston Pro. They CLAIMED it was quiet. Yea right. But all it took was one colored pencil that one of my defiant students tried to sharpen AFTER her friends told her not too. :mad: It would not sharpen anything. I have a Panasonic that I only sharpen the yellow and other painted pencils- none of the plastic covered ones. Its not perfect but it gets the job done. I will never allow my students to sharpen their own pencils again!

9. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I went through TWO Boston Pro staplers in less then 5 months. Another teacher friend also had hers die before the year was up. I've been through a few Panasonic ones too. Although they tend go through a whole lot more abuse in an art room then in a regular classroom.

10. polgacri

polgacri Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I bought one called I-Point by Wescott at Sam's Club last year for about $20 and it has worked pretty well. It takes a lot to overheat it. One time it did stop working due to a broken off lead, but it was easily fixed. I recently saw the same sharpener at Office Depot, but I think it was $35.

11. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 21, 2007

I've had cheap electric ones and $100 electric ones and they all don't work. So this year I am going to go and buy 2 old fashioned manual ones and screw them into the wood frame that is around my board. If that doesn't solve my problem I don't know what will!