probably getting RIF'd

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher112, Feb 10, 2010.

1. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Feb 10, 2010

I am completely devastated. My district is making major cuts. I find out in a month if I will have a job for next school year. I was just hired, so if they decide to cut teachers, I will be first to go. I just cant even believe this. I worked so hard for this job and now it is going to be taken from me. :(

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 10, 2010

Oh no! I fear we're going to keep hearing news like this over the next few months. I'll be hoping for you that budget cuts are not as severe as expected and that you can keep your job.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 10, 2010

Oh no, I'm so sorry. Did you know in advance that it might be a one year deal? I know a lot of times when people are initially hired they buy a new car, house, and create a lot of debt.

We'll keep our fingers crossed and hope you won't be effected.

5. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Feb 10, 2010

I had no idea!!! I heard they are thinking of cutting librarians, food service, some aids before cutting teachers. It is just wrong to cut teachers. It is eating away at me! I cant get my mind off it and I cant imagine picking up and starting over again.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2010

I'm afraid things are bad all over right now. In my district we are looking at major cuts, layoffs of tenured teachers, and class size increases. Keep the faith.

7. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Feb 10, 2010

That is awful! May I ask what district this is? Feel free to PM if you don't feel comfortable announcing it publicly. I am gearing up for a job hunt myself.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2010

I'm so sorry!!! Hopefully they can find other ways to save money and save your job.

9. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Feb 10, 2010

Sorry to hear this!! Keep positive thoughts and try not to dwell on it (I know that is easier said then done), but also think about what you will do if it does happen-that way you will be mentally prepared!

Fingers crossed for you!!!

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2010

I'm so sorry that we are hearing about this for another year. I'm hoping that you hear something positive! I know it's hard, but try not to focus on something that is out of your hands. Just end your school year on a great note and get the best recommendation that you can.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2010

I've been pink slipped pretty much every year, but every year, I've been abel to find a job.

This is my fifth year teaching. So far, I've taught kinder for 3 years, all at different schools, fifth for 1 year, and now as a math intervention teacher.

As long as you stay optimistic and make sure you keep your name out, something good will eventually come along.

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2010

Stay positive and brush off your resume. Remember that even if you are let go, it's not a reflection of you as a teacher. It's the budget. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Feb 11, 2010

I know the feeling all too well. I went through the exact same thing two years ago. The anxiety and feeling of hopelessness are just overwhelming. Avoid talking about it at school. I've learned that the walls have ears. Make sure that people see you working hard without complaint. You want to make sure that nobody can say anything about you that isn't positive. Just in case it happens brush up on your resume, network and interviewing skills.

14. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Feb 11, 2010

Thank you for the support everyone. I just can't stop thinking about it. The thing is, if they cut me/other teachers, class size is going to be HUGE and then they are just going to have to hire aids, which would cost the same if not more than paying me!!! There are 2 retirements in the district, so if I get RIF'd I would have a chance at those depending on how many people they cut. I need to stop thinking about it. This is ruining my life!!!

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Feb 12, 2010

My district is making tons of cuts. We have been gievn no time line, but were told even if you've been teaching 15 years you're not safe. I teach music and this is only my 3rd year. It does not look good for me. I've updated my resume and have started filling out apps. I agree with those that say be optimistic. Maybe the school of your dreams is right around the corner! :hugs:

16. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Feb 12, 2010

teacher112, like everyone else, I am sorry to hear that you are at risk of being laid off. While it's certainly an unpleasant thing to think about, do think about it, but in a proactive way. Here are some questions to think about:

- What are the layoff procedures for your state (and for your school district, if there is a union contract)? How much notice will you receive? What is the deadline for submitting an appeal?

- Do you have additional certifications, graduate credits, continuing education units, etc.? Do you have official records of these? Is everything registered with your school district, county office of education, or state certifying authority? Can you earn any additional certifications in the next month or two (through standardized testing)? Sometimes, there is a "skipping" process, whereby junior teachers who possess special skills are retained over senior teachers who lack those skills. "Tie-breaking" criteria may also come into play if multiple teachers were hired on the same day, as is often the case.

- Is the seniority list available? Is your rank correct? If your district is unionized, your union representative can help you find out.

Good luck to you, whatever happens!

17. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Feb 13, 2010

Well said, MATgrad. My district is talking about surplus already. I am not worrying myself about it like I did last year. I was laid off last school year and recalled. I am sure I will land on my feet again if surplused or laid off.