Probably a ridiculous question

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by jennaleigh, Sep 7, 2015.

1. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Sep 7, 2015

But I'm going to ask it anyway.

I'm here panicking the night before school, reading my teacher editions for the math and reading, trying to memorize everything. No, this isn't the first time I've looked at it. :p

Do you, or any teachers, use the book while you are teaching? I always thought it would be frowned upon or weird, but how am I supposed to remember every single step for the day's math or reading lesson?

Any thoughts?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2015

I use the book all the time. If I am assigning practice from the book, it is important that I use the same terminology. I also take example problems from the book.
    I don't think it is necessarily a sign of understanding or not (I'm extremely good at math), but rather a method to make sure you don't miss something.

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 7, 2015

Look over it to familiarize yourself with what you'll be teaching, but you can refer to the book as needed.

Good luck tomorrow and try to get some rest. :)

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 8, 2015

giraffe has this nailed. Notes - or, in this case, the text - help ensure that you won't leave out anything that shouldn't be left out.

6. melnm

melnm Companion

Sep 8, 2015

I even use mine in kindergarten. And, if this is your first year, even more so! Hope you have a great day!

7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 8, 2015

The teacher's edition is usually a great guide, especially for beginning teachers. I always used my TE when teaching reading from a basal, and the other TE's during guided practice. Duplicating the math terminology is important, as mentioned above, to avoid confusion and to prepare students for terminology used in the standardized tests and in upper grades. (Although, after familiarizing the students with the textbook terminology, we sometimes made up our own terminology alongside of the standard words. For example, "renaming" was called "trading", "cubes" were called "super units", etc.)

Some TE's I've used in private school teaching dictated every word the teacher would say, almost like the typical Sunday School manual. For that type of TE, I'd recommend just sticking to the main concepts (perhaps highlighting them with a marker or post it notes). It might take awhile to break away from the TE enough to do the following, but I'd recommend moving more toward student activities and explorations during the lesson. Much of the learning will come not from what you say but from what the students actually do, especially in math. (But most current TE's, nowadays, contain excellent student explorations; when I first started teaching, that was not always the case).

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 8, 2015

Oh, I definitely used it. I didn't do everything in the TE and I added a lot of my own lessons and projects, but I always had it open to refer to for most subjects. Except math, but that's just me. Take what you need and leave the rest.

9. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Sep 9, 2015

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions - you guys really helped ease my anxiety! :)

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2015

I'm guided by the state standards. Not by packaged program teacher guides.

When I was a newbie, however, I relied on them more

This is my 19th year teaching. You'll get more confident with time.

11. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 9, 2015

The guide book is your friend, especially if you're still new. But don't make your lessons too scripted; add some fun things that are related. Plus, you do need to modify based on your class.

12. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Sep 9, 2015

I heard once that when you are still learning the material, lean on the book. I don't use the book much, but really wish I had used it more often when I was still learning the material.

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 9, 2015

We only have TEs for math, but I definitely use it during the lesson! With many 5th grade math concepts, it's not always possible for me to pull random problems out of thin air. I often try to stick post its in it with notes to myself or problems I want to pull out.

When I had a basal for reading at my last school, I used it much more my first year than I did my second. It gets easier. :)