Probability

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by tcher, Mar 2, 2007.

1. tcher

tcher Rookie

Mar 2, 2007

Hi!!! I am beginning probability with my fourth graders next week. Any good, creative ideas to teach probability? Thank you.

3. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Mar 3, 2007

one quick activity that i did with my 3rd graders was play a game...i put a bunch of pattern blocks in a container and we counted them by color first and then talked about which one were were most likely to pick and least likely. I then split the kids into 4 color groups (based on the pattern blocks) I then would call out a basic fact, either addition, subtraction or multiplication. The first person to have the answer from a team would get to come and pick a pattern block. The color would then mark it down on thier white boards. After about 10 we talked about the probablility again and checked to see if our predictions were correct. We then continued to play. The kids absolutely LOVED the game and it got them thinking about probability and practicing thier facts!

4. tcher

tcher Rookie

Mar 3, 2007

Thank you so much. That is a great game to play. I will definitely play that with my kids next week after a mini lesson on probability. I wish my principal would pop in to observe during that -- it is a very creative, hands on activity. Thanks again!!!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2007

Why not invite him in? What do you have to lose?

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 3, 2007

Marilyn Burns has some good ideas in her book (On Teaching Mathematics?). I am drawing a blank right now, but I know I have done activities using two-color counters, and of course, dice.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 3, 2007

Have the kids spin spinners, or toss coins or dice, 50 times each. They record their results on a tally chart. Then compile all the tally charts and discuss whether the outcomes 'make sense'. Use the data to find the mean, median, mode, and range of the outcomes.

8. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Mar 3, 2007

I did a great activity with my third graders, but would work for any grade. I gave them double dice, which is one small die inside a big die, but you could give them two dice. I had them first predict what sum they though would be rolled the most. I then had them roll the die, add the two numbers together and color in a bar graph with the sums on the bottom and the number of rolls on the side. They did this for about 10-15 min and then they circled the sum that had the most, we then discussed why that sum had the most, and talked about how their prediction would change next time and why. They loved it and begged to play again. We did it with six sided dice and 10 sided.

9. tcher

tcher Rookie

Mar 3, 2007

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I will definitely use them in my class this week.

10. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Mar 3, 2007