Private vs. Public salaries

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by darzie, Aug 13, 2005.

1. darzie

darzie Companion

Aug 13, 2005

I'm curious to know what the differences are in private vs. public school teacher salaries. I know that in most private schools, they have lower class sizes, etc., but I've heard they make much less than public schools. Can anyone give me any insight about this? :)

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 13, 2005

Around here we make about 60% of public salaries.

4. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Aug 13, 2005

A new public teacher here makes about $24,000, while at least one private school here (I only know this because they have a job posted), offers $19,000 base.

5. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 14, 2005

I make $45,000 at a public school. My husband makes, ready for this...$72,000 at a private school. We live in Hawaii.

A good friend of mine works in a Catholic school and makes $37,000

6. darzie

darzie Companion

Aug 14, 2005

Wow! He makes so much more at a private school in Hawaii! Why is that? Also, the 37,000 dollars at the Catholic school, is that the top, middle, or bottom of the pay scale? Do private schools have Steps like we do? My daughter is looking for a job, and I'm curious. Thanks!

7. mmeblue

mmeblue Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

About 85% of the public school salaries. We also have good benefits, including reduced or free tuition for the children of employees (depending on how long you've been working there...not a benefit I take advantage of since I don't have kids, but for those who do, it basically makes us about even with the public schools).

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 14, 2005

My cooperating teacher during student teaching spent her first 5 years teaching in a Catholic school. When she got into the public schools where she wanted to teach they credited her those five years (which she didn't think they would) and put her in the step that she would be if those five years had been in the public school. She said she trippled her salary. I dont know for sure what she's making, but she does not have a masters yet so I cant imagine that she went into the public schools making more than 45,000...and that was was TRIPLE what she was making in the catholic school.

9. dee

dee Companion

Aug 14, 2005

I have a friend that taught in Catholic school and she said that her salary was half of what she was making in the public school system.

10. jeifer

jeifer Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

I work at a Christian private school (interdenomination). I make $20,000 but if I had gone to the public school I would have made $32,000 as a first year teacher. I don't get any benefits that they pay for (they offer insurance but I pay the entire amount), and if I had children, I would still pay half their tuition and they'd have to attend there.

11. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Aug 14, 2005

OOPS! $24,000 is what a sub working nearly everyday would make! A permanent full-time teacher starting out would make about$32,000 ( I can't find the actual number, I'm a sub, so I don't yet make it!

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2005

Around here, you can count on a private school teacher making about half what a public school teacher makes, and very few get any benefits (insurance, retirement funds, etc). If you're working in a very small, church run school, it may be even less. And, some have tuition programs that let your kids come for free, some let them come for half, some allow one free child, but you have to pay for any additional kids...you really have to ask on that one.

In Catholic schools here, the class sizes run form 32-38 kids, versus 20-25 in public schools. Independent schools have the best class sizes, about 16.
    My main concern with private education in this state is that the teachers don't need to be trained/certified or continually upgrade their skills.
    Kim

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2005

Gosh, Kimrandy, I'm glad I'm not in your state in a small church school. We make less, but not nearly that much less. I think I may make on avg. about 7,000 less then public. we can collect insurance and need to just pay in for the premium, if we choose to take it. Since my husband has benefits, the church is paying the difference and picking up his premium. Also, I do get retirement benefits as well. You made a great point, in some private schools, teachers don't need to be certified and up grade their skills.....that is really important to check on as a parent. At my school, in order to continue to meet accredidation standards, we have to be certified and keep our licensure up to date as well.

14. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

I have been teaching in a Catholic school for the past 7 years. I make less than I would make in a public school. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but I think I make about 85% of what I would make in a public school. I get health insurance benefits (including dental), but I have to pay for my husband and daughter to be on my plan (which my husband's company reimburses us for.) I will have 25 students in my class this year and my partner teacher will have 23. This is about average for our school, so class size isn't such an issue. The only thing that I know is much less than the public school is the increase in pay if you get a Masters. I have a Masters and I only got a $1,000.00 raise.

15. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 14, 2005

He teaches at very good private school. Tuition is $13,000/yr. He has a master's as well. They do have a pay scale.

The $37,000 catholic school salary is on the high side. She was at the same school about 10 years. She is just starting in the public school this year but will have to start at step 3, which is $39,000.

BTW, Hawaii is short 400 teachers. I don't know the website but search for Hawaii DOE (Department of Education).

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2005

In both NJ and VA I got paid 18,000 for my first year in Catholic schools (I have my MS, Ed) Made the jump to public and got 45,000 the first year.

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2005

here in suburbs of NY there is about an 18,000 difference

18. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Aug 15, 2005

here in Ma. private and Cath. school teachers make half of what public school teachers make.. They satrt at about 25K a year if you have the right creds....

19. Tami

Tami Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

I taught in a Private School for 4 years. Made the switch to Public - got a $24,000 per year raise! I went from $22,000 up to $46,000. I have my master's (required in KY), so I am probably still being underpaid!!!!!
    Oh Hawaii....don't I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    P.S. Is there an advantage to the Private Realm as opposed to the Public? Not $24,000 worth!!!

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2005

But remember, the cost of living in Hawaii is extremely high as well. I have always prefered parochial, but thats just me. I'm very vocal about my beliefs and couldn't stifle them in the public sector. I don't like all the "red tape" so to speak in the public. Class size is smaller, for the most part, parents are very cooperative and willing to help out.........they pay for sending their child so are very involved (sometimes too much, though :) ). I can afford the difference in pay, thankfully, my husband has a great job, so I feel very lucky to be able to minister and teach! It has always been my calling. If there was that much of a difference in pay in my area, I in all honesty probably would have a hard time justifying the cut in pay. But, I am lucky here , it is not too great of a difference. So, I feel I have the "best of both worlds"!

21. darzie

darzie Companion

Aug 15, 2005

I guess I'm just curious about non-religious private schools and their salaries, too. We have some upperscale private schools where the kids around here go. I was wondering if the teachers there make more than public schools or parochial schools.

22. Tami

Tami Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

Darzie - I was not in a Parochial School. It is a local College Prep. School - pre k - 12. Keep in mind - most private schools depend solely on tuition and fund raising events. They usually do not recieve any govern. funds. The tuition in my area is pretty much set (3 private schools) at approx. $3,000. per child. The enrollment is only about 400 students per school. The class size at one of the private schools is more than my Public 1st grade class - so no advantage there! I guess the most enticing factor to many parents - private schools have their ways of keeping out undesirables - that is unless their family is able to give a lot of money. Sad but true.

23. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 15, 2005

I started teaching in a Catholic school in 98-99. At that time I was making 16,500. The next year the principal was able to raise it to 20,000-this is right near our area, Darzie. You know what I make now. ;) But, my insurance was not good, we hardly had any supplies, I put a lot of my own money into it (and as you see wasn't making much to begin with!!), we were practically begging (well, that we were), borrowing and stealing! We actually asked parents to bring in paper that was unused on one side. It was very sad! The lower class sizes were merely becuase our school didn't have the best reputation at the time. WE were getting the behavior problems from the neighboring public school systems, so that combined with little money for supplies, etc. was not that attractive. However, it did give me great experience and I loved teaching there!! :) WIthout it, I probably wouldn't be where I am now.
    BTW, I know the schools you are talking about and have no idea their payscale. Would it be on a site somewhere-is it public knowledge?

24. darzie

darzie Companion

Aug 15, 2005

The tuition in the schools that I am talking about have tuition around 14,000 dollars per year per student.

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 16, 2005

Some of the non-religious privates around here with high tuition do pay as well as public schools. One in Palm Beach probably pays a bit more. My school tuition is $8600 per year and we get paid much less than public. Money is always an issue at private schools.

26. wolfster

wolfster Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

Generally parachial schools pay much less.

This year I will start working at my first private school in NJ (non parochial)- 45,000 although I do have a graduate degree. (and there are 18 students/class)

I've been trying to compare it local schools (trying to estimate where I would be placed on a step) - I think I would make about the same but with twice the number of students.

If there are private schools/parts of the country you are interested in obtaining a salary estimate, you can look at many of the schools web pages - you can find a salary range at least.

27. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2005

I know in my area, there is an association for independent private schools. I think it's called AIMS. (Stands for American Independent Middle and Secondary- I think.) Perhaps in your area there is something similar that can give you info??

I've been recruited by a very highly ranked independent school. (A parent of children I've taught works in the business admin part of the school - but her kids go to public, at least for elementary.) The tuition for that school ranges from $8,000 a year for half day K to $21,000 a year for HS. (Average class sizes range from 20 with a teacher and an aide in K, to 18-1 in HS, smaller than public, but not tiny). For me to start (I am certified in ECED with a BA and an MEd), I'd get $31,000. In the public schools, I am currently making $52,000. They DO have a tuition program for our kids, but they pay only 85%. For us to have to pay even 15% of $21,000, PLUS take a $20,000 pay cut would just be impossible for us. And that's beside the fact that we live in the area with the top rated middle and high schools in the area, so private school was never a consideration for us.
    Kim

28. wolfster

wolfster Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

Here are some websites that may help you at least make an estimate.

One website (national, many private schools are listed here) is the Natiaonal Association of Independent School. I am providing a link, and you can type the part of the country/field (ie., english, phsical ed) and some of the schools that are advertising vacancies will list a salary range. If you are straight out of college, no graduate degree - then estimate the lowest salary. More eduation, and honestly any working experience (it does not have to be education - but this may depend on the school), that can push you up on the salary. Actually it may help to look later around the spring to get a better idea of salary ranges from the website, few schools have job openings now they are typically filled then.

http://careers.nais.org/search/

Unfortunately it's hard to find a website listing salaries, but someone sent me the next one too (I am also trying to determine ballpark salaries for schools that do not list them - and find a really good school and salary down the road before applying). Anyway, this is the website

http://www.boardingschoolreview.com/toptwenty.php

What you probably want to search on that website is size of endowments by rank. That will help you determine how wealthy particular schools are - although I think you still may not know the salary of the school unforunately from that.

Good luck

29. ms.rene

ms.rene Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

With the Catholic schools in Miami the pay scale is given to the school by the Archdiocese, then the head pastor/principal basically choses one. The scales are sooooo broad that if you have a frugal priest he'll probably chose the scale that pays close to the bottom. It ranges from about $19k up to $30 or $40. At my school the beginning teachers with no experience start at $23000.

30. PE4ME

PE4ME New Member

Jan 1, 2006

Kamehameha school

I am a National Board Certified Teacher with a Masters in Ed Tech, who has so far been incapable of finding out what the salary schedule is for Kamehameha School, a lot of good all that education is doing me now:) could you help point me in the right direction or let me know if you have any ideas, I am considering moving to Oahu and my nieces and nephews go to Kam, It would be amazing to work there. OK I know, TMI! Mahalo
    :confused:

31. Tami

Tami Rookie

Jan 1, 2006

Hawaii Schools

1st - Congratulations on your National Board Certification. I have always heard that the school system in Hawaii is in dire need of teachers. Not that I would be able to go :( but does anyone out there know?

32. kipani

kipani New Member

Jan 21, 2006

Aloha...I have just found this site so I apologize for the delayed reply (2 years late). I also teach in the public schools in Hawaii as does my husband. I am a new teacher making $38,000.

I am considering the switch to private, because I just want to teach and my time is constantly being redirected by the administration details. For example, the new state report cards! (Yikes, what chaos!) IEP's, meetings, NCLB nonsense, etc...Now this may just be due to my inexperience, but I feel that my curriculum and students are losing in this time wasted. I want to teach, and I want to teach kids who want to learn. (The area that I teach in is rural and not the most supportive within Hawaii schools--and many areas are awesome--so the many of my kids usually lack the support and background experience.)

Also I feel there is truly a void of character education. Being a good person has nothing to do with religion and all schools, esp. public, should take this issue much more seriously. Students need more consistent guidance in this realm.

I am worried that all this is tiring me out and breaking my spirit to teach. I have taught at the Honolulu Academy of Arts and felt the exact opposite. (What a fun and awesome experience!!!!) So maybe I should switch and steer away from the beauracracy...? It is just so difficult to know what each private school offers as far as salaries, steps, retirement, benefits and the overall treatment of its staff. With no union to protect a teacher, teaching can also be a scary place. How does one find out this infor from private schools? Just walk in and ask? :confused: Maybe it's that simple...

33. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Jan 21, 2006

I work in a private setting teaching a full day kindergarten class. My cap on children is 15. I make 25,000 a year. I'm not sure what a public school teacher would make but I know it is much, much more. Our tuition is approximately 12,000. dollars a year not including book fees, field trips, and uniforms.

34. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2006

Our starting kindergarten teacher starts out at about $36,000. We have steps each year so we do move up pretty quickly. We are in a public school system.

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 21, 2006

Here, most privates pay less but some actually pay commensurate with public, and a few chi chi ones pay more. I'm with you, kipani. You explained the reasons for preferring private school beautifully. I am in a very small private.

36. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jan 21, 2006

I don't know what the private schools pay around here. For me, my concern would be the fact that if you later wanted to go back to public education, the public school systems do not have to give you credit for your experience.

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 21, 2006

Also, most private schools don't offer any retirement benefits at all.

38. Tami

Tami Rookie

Jan 22, 2006

I was fortuante when I went from a private )4 years) to public. The state did give me credit for those years. Probably because it was an established private school. I did enjoy teaching there, but made half of what I now make. I also had no retirement. That was the big one for me.
    In this area - private schools are not required to have certified teachers. Of course, they love to get certifications (at half the price), but are not required to.
    Is this nationwide also?

39. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 22, 2006

I think it probably depends on what private school assocations they belong to.

40. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Jan 22, 2006

I think it also depends on the geographic area. Here in the NYC area and suburban CT the private school teachers are making about even with a first year teacher in the public schools. Starting salary around here for both private and public is 43000 with a masters. There is not as much upward growth in private schools as there is in public schools so for teachers starting out there is not much difference. There are also often perks associated with teaching in a private schoool: housing or child care subsidies, money for grad courses, and most of the time teachers' children can attend for free or 50% tuition.

41. lis78

lis78 New Member

Jan 26, 2006

In OZ I taught in the Catholic System and made $37,500 my first year out. After two and a half years of teaching I was on $43,700 before tax. I'm pretty sure that state is less over here. If I do relief in the Catholic system it is about $350 a day before tax, in the state its about $270.