Private tutoring services

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tuankiet153, Oct 31, 2019.

1. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Oct 31, 2019

Per Texas law, can teacher be a private tutor for students who are not in his/her classes but in the same school? Thank you.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 1, 2019

I am not in Texas... But, is there really a law on this? That seems to be a bit overboard. I would think that, instead of a law, there might be a school district policy.

otterpop likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 1, 2019

It is district policy in every non-Texas school I have ever worked in, and the one constant is that you should not be receiving money to tutor a student who is currently enrolled in your class. If you think about it, that is kind of a "duh!" moment. Obviously if you are tasked with instruction of this student as part of your job (and pay check) but the student is not progressing from the instruction provided, it would be unprofessional to take money from the parents to give more of the same instruction. Sometimes a student and teacher just don't jell, and it takes a different type of instruction or explanation for the student to succeed.

I have never heard of it being contraindicated to tutor students who are not in your class, even if they go to the same school.

However, "per Texas law, can teacher be a private tutor for students who are not in his/her classes but in the same school?" is a question that the Texas teacher should be able to address with the TEA. They have a website and a phone number listed on said website. Why ask us when you can go to the source and get the answer straight from the horses's mouth?

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 1, 2019

This isn't a matter of law, but of district policy. You won't find specific laws that dictate this. That's kind of like asking are secretaries, by law, allowed to eat lunch at their work desk. That would be a company policy, not a law.

Standard policy in every district I've ever worked in is this -- you can't receive money for tutoring your current students. You can tutor students who attend your school, but you cannot do tutoring for money AT your school facility. Using school property to run your own business is a no-no.

To find out, all you need to do is contact your school district's administrative offices or human resources and ask what the official policy is.

bella84 likes this.