Private tutoring- Is it for earning money or to get job satisfaction?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by katie11, Jun 24, 2011.

1. katie11

katie11 Rookie

Jun 24, 2011

I am a private tutor and i love teaching Math, World History, Piano. Personal tutoring became most famous within a decade since students need extra help to learn subjects. Well according to me private tutoring is for getting job satisfaction and also to earn money. Both go hand in hand. Please do say your opinion for this.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2011

I did a lot of tutoring during the years I was home with my kids.

And I did it for the money.

I'm good at teaching and tutoring-- after all these years in the classroom, I would be out if I weren't good.

But during those SAHM years, tutoring was about the money. I got plenty of satisfaction out of being with my own kids. But it was hard to get by on just my husband's salary, so he supplemented it with photography, and I did freelance writing and tutoring.

I'm not Mother Theresa; I make good money to tutor and did it for the money.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 24, 2011

I actually only tutored for money one semester. The rest of the 3 years I tutored to anyone needing it for free. I did it because I genuinely enjoyed it and because I was trying to boost my own skills.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2011

Tutoring is famous?:D Wow, then I must be a celebrity...:lol: I tutor 10-11 hours per week during the school year and I'll be tutoring about 5 hours per week this summer. While I LOVE helping kids have breakthroughs in learning, I do it for the money.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 24, 2011

I tutored 4 hours this week. One day I'll start charging. :whistle:

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2011

It makes me a nice little bit of cash in the summer - which makes it easier to have lunch out with friends, or order a nice frozen coffee... (or this year, buy paint, and flooring, and get the pool up and running - we just bought a house).

But I do love it. Spending time with just one kid, seeing those lightbulb moments, giving them the 1:1 attention that is so hard to give during the school year...

8. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 24, 2011

I've had a lot of success tutoring (ranging from 1st graders to college seniors), but honestly I enjoy the 'thrill' and excitement of working with a small group or entire class. At home tutoring is kind of boring to me though it used to be fun.

I've done that since I was in High school (to kids my own age) and all through college (some of my classmates), so I haven't just been tutoring younger kids it's been all age groups and I guess I'm tired of it. I couldn't see myself happy as a private tutor, no matter the amount of money, unless it was a group type of thing.

Oh to answer the question, I didn't charge anything because I knew the people I was tutoring. If I were to start back I think I'd have to charge a little something.

9. katie11

katie11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Thank you folks for your opinion. I would say helping kids in studies is a pleasure. We encourage them in studies and motivate them. I think tutoring is one of best jobs in world. doesn't it?

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2011

I've been out of the classroom for two years and now I'm only tutoring. I only have 6 or 7 hours a week scheduled now between two students. I hope to add one or two more. I need the income and I like the flexibility. I tutored after school for about 8 years when I was working.

11. katie11

katie11 Rookie

Aug 2, 2011

Great Upsadaisy, I am glad to say that i also work as private tutor.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2011

I signed up with Wyzant about a month ago and got a new student (2x a week). So far, it's working out really well.

13. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 3, 2011

I was unable to find a teaching job for this school year, so I handed out flyers to tutor former students. I think it will be a great way for me to keep my skills sharp and also, to make money!

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2011

I work for a private company that pays well.
    I dont have to ask people for money that way
    and they do much of the work, I just teach.
    I tutored some kids for free after school last year.

15. katie11

katie11 Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

i tutor 2 to 3 students per week via tutorz site. Its working well for me.

16. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Aug 5, 2011

I tutored for the money. I worked at a private school - I needed the money! haha
    I'm tutoring this year for the money as well, however the tutoring I will be doing at my school is more of a 10-1 ratio rather than 1-1. I'll be working through the schools after-school tutoring program.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2011

Katie, what is the tutorz program like? Is it a referral service?