Private Schools

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hhteach, May 18, 2009.

1. hhteach

hhteach Rookie

May 18, 2009

Ok, so I just got a huge let-down. I have been job searching across the country so that I can end the distance between me and my military boyfriend. I just found out that the whole state is experiencing a hiring freeze and the job fair, which I was planning on attending, has been canceled. So I am starting to think that finding a job in a public school is looking bleak. So I applied for teaching jobs on base, but they are swamped with applicants right now so I feel like I shouldn't stop there. I am starting to think about private schools.

I have never applied for a private school before. How do I go about doing this? Could someone who has done this please tell me what the process is? Do I have to contact the school directly or are there applications online similar to public schools? I am willing to do anything.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2009

Google is your friend.

Google: (I'll use "LA" because it's easy to type :) )

"private schools in LA"
    "charter schools in LA"
    "religious schools in LA"
    "Schools in the diocese of LA"
    "Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, Society of Friends schools in LA"

you get my drift.

4. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

May 18, 2009

As a teacher in a Catholic School, I can tell you the process.
    1. Apply and send resume to your Archdiocese. (Find your city online.)
    2. You have to apply to individual schools

Teaching in Catholic schools right now is NOT the way to go. They will probably not exist in the next 15 years due to the economy. You will be paid worse than your local bank teller who only has a hs diploma. Trust me...I'm making THAT salary!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2009

Sorry, I beg to differ on everything but point #2.

My school does NOT go through the diocese. Applicants send resumes directly to our principal. We're a Catholic High School, but not a "diocesan" Catholic school. We're completely tuition funded, with no financial help from any outside sources.

And we're bursting at the seams. With a student body of 2,550 kids, we have a huge waiting list.

And I'm paid fairly well. My school averages 10 local public and private school pay scales to determine ours. So I do better than some local public school teachers, worse than others.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 18, 2009

My private school hires people from this company: http://www.carneysandoe.com/ I signed up with that company (free for teachers) and the school I now teach in EMAILED ME about a job :)

7. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

May 19, 2009

I just wanted to butt in and say apply to charters if they have them also. You can just seach for charter schools in the area. Also are you familiar with teachers-teachers.com. You can register on their site and see schools in the area. SOME of the charter schools in our area post openings on there and some do not. So you might still need to search for charters in the area, and apply to them directly. Good luck!