Private School Salaries?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SportsJunkie25, Jun 15, 2009.

1. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

Does anyone have any information on the salary of a 1st yr teacher at a private school? How much would I make, in CA?

If I was working for a public school, in the district, I'd start @ 39K or 44K (if they accept my grad school classes/hours/credits).

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

My private school paid me 38k with no benefits. That was a private elementary school in Castro Valley, CA.

4. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Jun 15, 2009

Private and Catholic schools salaries are substantially less than public schools. (For example, in Pennsylvania, a Doctorate degree plus 25 years experience gets you $52,000 (+/-) a year in the Catholic high schools.)

5. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

Independent schools generally pay better than other private schools. As far as I know, some independent school in California has the minimum salary at $55,000 a year.

6. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

See PM

Yeah, I know that...I was just wondering what the starting salary would be in CA. I've always heard how they pay substantially less...

Is a religious school considered an independent school? Like, the Christian/Catholic/Lutheran private schools?

7. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

Jun 22, 2009

No. Go to see the website of The National Association of Independent Schools.

http://www.nais.org/about/index.cfm?Itemnumber=145842

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2009

Not all private schools pay less. I make about $5,000 more per year in private school than in public school, paid retirement, optional 401 K plus paid health insurance.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2009

I agree Chemteacher.

My private school averages 10 locals districts and determines our pay scale from that. So I do better than some local public schools, and not as well as others.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 23, 2009

I teach 5th grade, but I work at a private school so I thought I'd jump in to the discussion. I'm not sure how my school figures out the pay, but I'm a first year teacher, teaching science (I believe they do pay the teachers more for science because there aren't a lot of us around) and I found a teacher who had the same stuff going on as me (1st year science teacher) in my area and the person made $10k more than me. I'm not sure what the benefits are like comparing the two, but I pay $60 a month for myself. (From other threads around here I see that is a lot less than some other people are paying)

Of course there are plenty of other perks too--- I got a new Mac laptop with a TON of software that I would put at around $2000 if not more. It's for school use and personal use too. Plus the curriculum is amazing--- much better than I've seen in public school and if I need any supplies, I can order it and if there's books I want to read, I can ask to order them and the dept will pick up the cost due to it being professional development for me.

But money wise, yes I'm making less. Do I regret it? Not one bit. :)

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 23, 2009

My wife teaches English at a local catholic school. She has more experience than me (and just as much education, besides the JD) and makes 10K less a year.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

I'm not in California, but my school is NAIS and our salaries are comparable to the local public schools. I make less than I would in some districts, but more than I would in other districts.

Independent schools are not religious schools, necessarily. There are Independent schools that ARE religious, but they usually follow the NAIS guidelines so the pay should be better.

13. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

Thanks for all of the info! :thumb: I'll check out that website...

14. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2009

I was in private schools for 22 years, and when I left to go to public school, I was making under $30,000 full time, with all that experience. Usually the "country day" type schools--the high priced ones--pay the best of private schools. But be prepared for some parents saying "I'm not paying X dollars a year for my child to make a C", etc. As long as the admin. will back you up, it's OK.

15. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

My interviewer told me I should think of how I'd respond to this b/c I'll probably hear this. So, what do you say? I know what I'd be thinking but I'm not quite sure how I'd respond...nicely. :rolleyes:

It's kind of like, I'm not "giving" your child a grade; he/she is earning it. Maybe they should pay attention, study, do their homework, take advantage of help sessions, etc. :eek:

16. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2009

My point exactly! That's a great answer! My problem in my last private school was, the admin. wanted me to pass a child and falsify his report card because the grandfather gave a bunch of money to the school. They wouldn't listen to me or back me up. Turns out the next year and the year after that, the kid wasn't any better, and he got expelled--he and grandpa's money! Your answer is right on!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2009

When I left Catholic school 9 years ago, my salary increased by 2 1/2 times. I do hear that my former Catholic school now pays substantially more than they used to, but still not competitive with local public schools.

18. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 26, 2009

I teach in a Catholic school in Ohio. I've been there nearly 10 years, and I make $30K. Pathetic, but now I'm stuck; no public school will hire me because I am too expensive! I keep trying to get out. I love teaching at my school, but I just don't make enough!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2009

Does that mean that if we increase tuition, EVERYONE gets an A??? And that if we decrease it $10 a month, everyone goes down a letter grade??

20. wig

wig Devotee

Jun 27, 2009

I always love this question, because as you can see by this thread, there is absolutely NO salary consistency between the private/parochial/independent schools. You won't find it among all Lutheran or all Catholic school either. For the most part all school are autonomous.

21. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

Yes, I've noticed that. I'd be living in an expensive city so I'm just going to aim high and go from there. We'll see what they say...

22. bongbong

bongbong Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

I am going to school in CA for a teaching credential in Math (not including Calculus/subtest III).

How much do first year Math teachers get paid at a private school and a public school in California?

Thanks!

23. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 27, 2009

Private schools are autonomous and each district has their own pay schedule.

24. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Jul 27, 2009

Absolutely autonomous. A teacher friend of one of my teacher friends makes over $80,000 per year at a Catholic school in a large Texas city. I live 100 miles from there and made less than half of that at Catholic school.