Private School Salaries

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Aug 8, 2006.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

well you be quiet I was happy for all of two minutes!

2. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2006

That is what I'm thinking too, Jaime.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2006

Actuallly, it's a total of 20, so you have to wait just a bit!

It will be a nice change in our house to pretty much double our income. (My husband is a teacher too1) Living on Long Island and feeding a family of 5 on $60K (more or less) is a LOT harder than it sounds!!! I'm so looking forward to not cringing when the Visa bill arrives!

But my point is that some private schools do pay well, in spite of the bad rep they have!

4. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 8, 2006

however, many districts don't consider private (as in parochial) schools actual teaching experience.
    my aunt taught in one for 18 years, finally decided to take a position in a public school (in the same town, teaching some of her former students) and was offered 2 years experience.

just a thought...dont want you to look for a job next year and find that the position you took this year does nothing for you.

you would be much better off working as a para in a public school district...you would get well known, get exp, and if a position opens up for a teacher...THEY ALREADY KNOW YOU!

good luck!

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

Which doesn't mean anything to some principals. They want you to have the experience as a classroom teacher. So make sure you ask around before taking the para job. But if you do take a para job try and get one as an aide to a classroom teacher not a special ed one on one.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2006

Right, because a one on one is just that - experience with one child. A classroom para is looked at more favorably because they work with the whole class.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

I think it depends on the situtation. And some principals don't hire paras at all. I have seen it happen to five paras at one school district. Some one else gets hired over them because they have more experience.

8. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 8, 2006

did the para's have good reps in the school?
    i know of a few that didnt get hired...but that was because certian things about them were questionable.

a principal in one of the schools in my district got her first job as a para after subbing and being offer the position midway through the school year...after that, when a teaching job opened up, they pulled her because she was really good with the kids and super knowledgable.

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2006

It is not uncommon for a district to only give partial years of credit when switching districts. I know several people who left our middle school to go teach in the high school district (we are not a unit district) and only got five years credit even though they had been teaching ten years or more.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

We all had good reps in the school. My first year I was pulled all the time to cover classes when a teacher was out. The second year not so much because they decided to give me the EB kid. The teachers all thought that myself and another ed tech would get the job. This past year a lady that was a para for three years and a long term sub for this past semester applied and she didn't get the job because the other lady had more experience. There was also another para that was amazing with the students and we all thought she was going to get the position. They even sent her to the meet the super, than the last interviewee came in had ton of experience and they hired her instead.

11. sharon4362

sharon4362 Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

I don't know, they didn't tell me. I have to wait and go back for the second interview to find out.

12. pfnw

pfnw Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Beth, what is the cost of living in MA? I started in private school 11 years ago and made $15k. I left after three years to public school but the experience was valuable!

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

The average cost in the area that Beth's lives in very high. I think an average home is 350,000 at least.

14. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 10, 2006

Just hearing "Massachusettes" automatically makes me think of high cost of living.

15. otooleh

otooleh New Member

Aug 11, 2006

I teach at an Independent school (similar to a Private school) and the pay is pretty close to what public schools in the area make. Salaries at my school are not posted anywhere- each new faculty member gets offered a salary depending on experience, and it is "hush-hush"... Since no one knows me here, I can tell you what I started out with- Last year at my school (first year teacher) I made $35,500. This year I will make $37,500.:)

16. mrsrooney

mrsrooney Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

I am in Ontario, Canada at a private school and I am starting at 35,000. That is about 10,000 less than public boards pay. I feel pretty satisfied with that because I have a really tiny class size. I have BA and Bed.

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2006

that sounds like a great salary for a private school. I'd be happy

18. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 11, 2006

It angers me at how low they are going to pay you Beth. I totally understand you vacillating on this. I sent you a PM btw.

19. adam devine

adam devine Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

for beth:private school experience is recognized more than susbtituting experience.if you have no experience teaching take it,but long term substituting is better, you have your own class rom and you will feel like you are teaching,the way things are going getign nay job is difficult tehse days,keep at yoru profession you will fidna teaching full time position eventually, depends on how old you are and how serious about keeping your profession. There are also head hunters who get jobs for you in private schools please try them too.Goodluck

20. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 11, 2006

I was a long-term sub in a building for 6 months this past school year. I spent 4 months in a 4th grade classroom and then 2 months in a 5th grade classroom. It was wonderful experience, but did not help me to find a job in a public school. I'm hoping that by having a year of teaching in a private school under my belt along with my long-term subbing experience in the public school will help me find a public school job next school year.

21. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Aug 12, 2006

I work in a private school and get paid almost the same as in a public school, but am expected to work much harder without getting anything extra on the paycheck

22. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

Wow all that seems crazy to me. All the private schools I know around here pay far more than public schools.

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2006

But aren't the private schools in NC really ritzy ones?

24. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

Thats not much lower than my starting salary of $15,300, but I live in Ohio where cost of living is less.

25. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Aug 12, 2006

Wow....around here starting salaries for public school teachers is 42,400 and for private is about 35K. Well for the non-ritzy. Others pay the same or more than public schools

26. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

Most I know of...such as Charlotte Catholic, Country Day, the Cannon School... I've known lots of ppl that have left public school to go to private for the money! Last I heard, it cost $10,000 to go to Charlotte Catholic-so they better pay their staff well!