Private School Salaries in Houston

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by elemed12, Apr 24, 2007.

1. elemed12

elemed12 New Member

Apr 24, 2007

Hi, I'm moving from New York to Houston, Texas. I'm interviewing for jobs at Private Schools in Houston. I have a Masters and this upcoming year will be my fifth year of teaching. Could anyone help me with the range of salaries for a head elementary teacher with a masters and 4 years of experience? Also, I know how much my school in New York varies salaries from teacher to teacher so I wanted to know if anyone has any tips to avoid being low-balled. Thanks in advance. :angel:

3. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Did you ever get any replies on this? I curious too as to salaries in private schools in Houston.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 3, 2007

Most of my friends who work in private school make between $10,000-$20,000 (yikes) less than we do in the public schools.

:-(

Are you looking at a particular school? I noticed, Lisa, that your information says you are a Special Ed teacher. Most of the private schools don't offer special ed services as of now. A friend of mine just started working for one of the big Catholic high schools, has her master's and has been teaching special ed for over 20 years. Because they did not offer those services, she had to teach social studies (in which she was also certified).

5. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I am in a ACP program and have passed the TEXES exams in Special Ed and EC-4 Generalist -so can do either. Would like to get into the public school system - for my 10 month intern - and Special Ed seems to be a need and an interest of mine as well. Still seems to be tough getting a job.....

Lisa

6. kaymurr

kaymurr Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

I just saw this but wanted to put my :2cents: in. I know most of the Catholic school salaries, at least, are about $10K less than your "base" salary in public. BUT, that base salary is before mandatory stuff gets taken out, like TRS. When you are offered a base salary in the Catholic diocese here that really is base, and then there are about $10K of benefits paid by them on top of that. I would work in a Catholic school around here if I could but there really are no openings right now.