Private School question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lindsnh, May 5, 2008.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

May 5, 2008

I graduated in December and have yet to find a job for the 08-09 school year. I have had 9 interviews so far and the last one was almost 2 months ago. In my paper today there is a position for a 4k teacher at a private Catholic school. Does anyone know what the salary would be? I live in South Carolina and in my public school district the staring salary for a first year teacher will be 31,489 for 08-09. Just wondering how much less the private school would pay. Thanks

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 5, 2008

The catholic school I was just hired at pays the same as what regular public schools do. I am in Georgia. It depends on the area...but could be less...and usually is. I just got lucky. Maybe 4-5k less

4. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

May 5, 2008

Here, private school pays about $12,000 LESS than public.

I don't know what is worse...settling for a lower salary or face not having a job at all. (Public schools here are saturated!!!) I tend to get resentful of the fact that private schools pay so much less.

Good luck to you.

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 5, 2008

RELAX!! It is still really early in the hiring season. I know that many of the districts in Florida can't even begin to interview outside people for real positions until late this month. Trust me I know the anxious feeling. I too am on the job prowl again. I will begin panicking in September.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 5, 2008

I'm going to be teaching at a private school in September. I know due to strict budgets Catholic schools are unable to pay alot, but if you enjoy working in a spiritual setting (especially if you're Catholic) and don't want to have to deal with too many problem students, it might be a good way to go even with the pay cut.

If you're interested in learning about other private school jobs, I joined up at this really great placement service that's free to teachers and does only private schools around the nation and the world. Just pm me and I'll send you a link! :)