private school pay

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by tracer330, Mar 12, 2008.

1. tracer330

tracer330 Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

I was just wondering if any private school teachers would mind sharing the average annual salary for a new teacher. I'm considering going to a Catholic schools job fair, but I don't want to go if I'm only going to find out that I won't be able to work for the Archdiocese because of the salary.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 12, 2008

In my area, the pay is about 2/3 of the public pay.

4. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Mar 12, 2008

We make about $5000 less. To me personally, in my cirumtances at least, it is worth the loss- we're not nearly as caught up in the politics of education.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 13, 2008

NJ average is around $32,000. I recently checked out what a public school around here would pay--- it's about $45,000. However the perks I've found in one private school that I've been interviewed at is well worth the pay cut... even to a college graduate who is $20,000 in debt.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 13, 2008

I agree.

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 13, 2008

depends on the area. The catholic school I wanted paid 39k base for a person with a bachelors degree, and 2 years experience...no certification...PLUS money for sponsoring a club.
    The other private schools vary, and I have seen 32k+.

8. saramabob

saramabob Rookie

Mar 14, 2008

I work at a Catholic school in Philadelphia and make 31,500. I see the pay cut as worth it though. I have heard a lot about politics in public schools and they seem annoying. It is especially nice not to have to push high standardized test scores because of No Child Left Behind and such. Personally, especially as a new teacher, I would recommend the Catholic schools

9. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Mar 22, 2008

My salary at a private Christian school is about 60% of the public school salary (almost 30,000 for an uncredentialed teacher with some experience.)

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2008

I was offered a position at a private Lutheran school in the Midwest right after I earned my MAT. They wanted to pay me 18k per year. I just couldn't do it.

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2008

You just have to look around. I make about 38K in catholic school and would only make about 36K in public school because the catholic shool counts all my years teaching as experience while the public school does not count the years I taught before I was certified. I will never again teach in a public school because I do not hve discipline issues like I did in public school and my class size is capped at 20.

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2008

I started teaching in a catholic school for 16,ooo/yr. It was the best experience of my life. I would return to the catholic schools but now I have a loan for my master's and a son- it just wouldn't cut it now..unfortunately.

13. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 30, 2008

Are all of you who work at a Catholic or Christian school part of that religion? Just wondering because I don't really follow a religion and I was wondering my chances of getting into a private school.

14. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

MissWull, I have the same issue. I'd love to teach at private school even if I did take a pay cut, but I am an Atheist and I do still have to live on my salary! My dream job is in an all-girls non-religious college-prep private school. I've found one, and I'm planning on sending an application in another year or two. It's obviously a long shot, but I honestly think I'd never leave if I got hired there.

15. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Mar 30, 2008

I work in a catholic school and make $28,000 as first year teacher. We have a merit based pay scale that tops out at $37,000 right now. The benefits come in the lack of politics that accompany public schools! It is so nice to be able to really teach moral values without having to look over my shoulder. Our school gives preference to catholic applicants because religious education is part of every teacher's curriculum, but we do have a non-catholic Kindergarten teacher and a non-catholic tech teacher. Just know that if you accept a position teaching in a catholic or christian school, you will have to adhere to the religion teaching that they require.

16. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Mar 30, 2008

I teach at a Catholic school and find that I make less (although not tons--I think I make $2000 less than public in my area.)

I need more (pencils, paper, tissue, art supplies are all supplied by the parents in September but we're just about out & I find myself just replenishing b/c it's easier than asking for even more from the parents.)

I started the year with 35 students (currently at 32--no class-size reduction here, and no help:eek:. Most Catholic schools have aides in lower grades this big.) I have behavior issues with some kids, some are so far behind I shudder to think what will happen next year for them (I have no say in holding back) and I am the only 2nd grade teacher.

All that being said, I do love my kids and would not change the experience for anything:wub:. This is my first year teaching (I have a credential but some teachers at my school do not.) I am Catholic however our 8th grade teacher is not & she has someone that comes in and teaches religion.

After all the cuts, issues at school and the fact that I walked into a faculty that has some major problems (think strooong personalities & looooow morale) I am happy at least for now.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2008

It totally depends on the school. In some cases, you are required to sign a profession of faith or to be a member of a particular congregation. In others, they're happy to have any qualified teachers on staff, regardless of religious views.

18. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Mar 31, 2008

Everyone's experience is different. I taught at a religious private school (17,000 a year) and quit after one semester because I couldn't play the game. By play the game I mean suck up to the right people. I made the mistake of giving one the child of one of the school's major contributors a detention. The principal had me in his office before the end of the school day to chew me out! I also was very much over worked. I taught seven classes, six different subjects, was the year book advisor, Sophomore class sponsor, and had to supervisor 8 basketball games a year and I didn't get paid any more. It was horrible. I think it might be different in a Catholic school because the money base is different.