Private school openings...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissWull, Jun 2, 2008.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 2, 2008

I only know of about one private school (and I know there are a lot more) in my area. But how did those of you who work at them get hired? I don't see many (or actually ANY) openings for them. Should I just research private schools around my area and then contact them?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2008

Yep- I would just research the school and send them your application package.... The more you send the better.

4. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 2, 2008

My state DOE website has a listing of non-public schools. Maybe yours has the same. That's how I found the private schools and the phone calls for interviews just keep coming!!! :)

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 2, 2008

CalWest, my friend. I've learned that most private schools do not do public postings (although I got my job through Craigslist-check them out under education). CalWest is an agency that charges $35, and will then send your info to private schools. I got several interviews through them. They know ALL the principals and schools, so they get word of openings first. Lee is the owner, and she is great. She called me after every interview to make sure it went fine, and they helped me when I got my offer.

http://www.calwesteducators.com/

There is also Carney, Sandoe and Associates. They are based out of the East Coast, however, and don't have the personal connections with schools. They are totally free. I got a couple of interviews through them as well.

http://www.carneysandoe.com/

6. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 2, 2008

Wow, thanks Jem! I'll definitely check out calwest. $35 is not much to pay even if I only get one or two interviews! I had no idea there were companies like this out there!

7. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 2, 2008

Do a search for private schools in your area. Then check their websites...alot of the private schools around here have jobs posted on their websites.

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 2, 2008

What majority of private schools are religous based?

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 2, 2008

I have found very few religious schools in N. California. Most are really creative, liberal schools started by parents. At least those are the ones I looked at. Ha-the one I took a job at was started by a British woman. She named it Camelot. I hope that's a good sign.

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 3, 2008

Ok I have now compiled a list of 41 private schools which I am willing to drive to. Should I call each and ask if they have openings...or should I just send each my resume (could get crazy and expensive mailing 41 packets)? Or perhaps just send resume packets, no matter what, to the one's I'm really interested in? Now that I have such a huge list, how do I narrow it down!?