Private school interview!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ellybean, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Ellybean

Ellybean Rookie

Feb 16, 2014

I have an interview with a private school for a teaching position. I'm super excited!!! :woot:

I know that different schools ask different kinds of questions. I've had lots of interviews with charter schools, and they are always really focused on discipline and behavior management. I haven't had too many private school interviews, but they seem to be more focused on your experience in education and what you can offer the school.

If anybody here works at a private school and has any advice, about what questions I should be ready to answer, what the interview will be like, etc. I would really appreciate it!
    Here are some I've been told to definitely expect:
    "How do you differentiate instruction in the classroom?"
    "How do you integrate technology?"
    "What is your philosophy of education?"

Thank you!

3. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Feb 16, 2014

I wouldn't be surprised if they mentioned something about parents or how you bring the idea of community in the classroom. Often private schools allow parents to be much more involved. At my school, parents sign their kids in & out of the classrooms, so I have to build much more of a rapport with parents than some other schools.

4. teach1

teach1 Companion

Feb 16, 2014

my last position was at a private school (i taught kindergarten).

you will probably be asked several questions regarding parents. "how do you communicate with parents?" type questions, and also scenario questions such as, "what would you do if XYZ happened...." and "what would you say to tommy's mom if she questioned / complained about ABC...."

the parents at my school expected nothing but the best for their children (rightfully so). the admin. wanted teachers who could, for lack of a better word, "handle" the parents (all very well-educated and very involved).

lots of emphasis on the spirit of community.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2014

No private school experience, but good luck!! Let us know how it goes!

6. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Feb 19, 2014

What sort of private school? If it is a religiously affiliated one you can expect questions of a spiritual nature; not necessarily "you must be of our faith," but more like "are you comfortable/compatible/able to uphold the mission of the school?"

Private schools also like people who wear multiple hats. You will likely be expected to coach or advise sports or extracurricular activities.

7. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Feb 23, 2014

So, what happened?

8. Ellybean

Ellybean Rookie

Feb 26, 2014

The school is a well known independent day school, non-religious, in the Northeastern United States.

I haven't had my interview yet.

Thanks for all your advice!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 27, 2014

What part of NY is the school in? I am also in NY and have applied to a few private schools (I work in one now). Make sure you do some research on the school's history and philosophy. What is the student population like? What makes this school different from other schools? Why do you want to work there?

10. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Feb 27, 2014

A big thing I've noticed having worked in several independent schools is their emphasis on professional development - they like to see you that have and would be willing to attend conferences and workshops, doing whatever it takes to maintain current in the content area you are teaching in. In most of the schools I've worked in the schools have paid for this. I hope that helps, and good luck!

11. Ellybean

Ellybean Rookie

Mar 6, 2014

My interview was AMAZING!

I got the opportunity to tour the school, sit in on several classes, meet with several teachers, and finally the head. They were all extremely nice and friendly... and asked simple questions like "why do you want to work here?" Not anything really difficult. Good luck to everybody trying to get an interview!

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2014

Crossing my fingers for you!

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 6, 2014

It sounds like it would be a good fit for you AND for the school. Hoping for the best.