Private School Blunder

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by alexsmom322, Jul 4, 2006.

1. alexsmom322

alexsmom322 Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

Hey y'all!
    If you have read "Blackballing Teachers" then you know the whole story. If not you can catch on. I live in the largest school district in the state, there is a huge teacher shortage, and after problems with the public school I applied to private schools.

I applied at a very large private school where my son used to attend, because they offer decent salaries compared to public school and they offer free tuition for teacher’s children. (I have 3 ages 5, 2, and 2) They didn't have any openings so they sent my resume to a much smaller school clear across town next to the public school where I student taught.

At first I thought the distance would be okay since I had been student teaching in that area for a year. But, not only is there still a shot a public school slot, but the pay is not very good. Once they deduct my son's tuition, fees books, and when you factor in gas, food etc, I'll be making just above minimum wage. I can’t put my son in public school because our district is clear across town, and I would have to pay before and after school care. Money is a big problem, because student loans will be knocking at my door soon.

The private school principal offered me a contract last week, and I told him I would give him my answer this week, today in fact. What do I say to him to smooth this over? He had very few applicants for this position, if any other….I’m leaving him in the lurch with only a month till school starts, and he’s leaving to go to Japan soon. I have not met the new principal, so I only have a moral obligation to him, I didn’t sign a contract. I don’t want to tell him that I am holding out for a public slot. What do I tell him when I take his teachers editions back to him tomorrow? HELP!!!!!

3. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 4, 2006

I don't know how things are there, but in Arkansas if you accept a position, you have 30 days to sign your contract. If you don't sign it in 30 days, then you loose the position. So, if you accept the position do you have time to leave your contract laying around before you sign it?

Another thing I want to add that I think you may need to think about is...if there is a teacher shortage, do you really need to be as picky as what you are? I mean I just took a job 30 minutes away from where I live, it's not really the district that I wanted, but it's an opportunity to teach and that was my whole goal. It is the grade level that I wanted, but that's it. I took this job to get experience so that I can be picky later on. I have found out that first year teachers can't be picky, just grateful.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2006

Sorry, but I all for sticking with your first decision. I wish you all the best.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 4, 2006

What will happen if you don't get a job in a public school?

6. alexsmom322

alexsmom322 Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

I'm not banking on the teacher shortage for a job. I am banking on my skills and experience to get me the job. Regardless of whether I get hired in the public school, I can't afford to take this private school position. If I don't get a public school teaching position there are other things I can do. I'm 31, this is my 2nd bachelor's I've been an office manager of some sorts for 12 years. I just want to say I can't take the job, in the most congenial way possible.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2006

I wouldn't go into detail.. Just say personal reasons prevent you from accepting and leave it at that.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 4, 2006

I actually would let him know that the low salary prevents you and if they could offer your children free tuition, you could reconsider. Free tuition is really not out of pocket expense for them, so if they need the students, and need the teachers, they may go for it.

9. alexsmom322

alexsmom322 Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

Thanks Upsadaisy, my friend suggested that too. Free tuition would help. I still have to tell him something tomorrow. I still don't know what. I just can't say that I am considering public school. I really want something closer to home, but this is a nice school. I have an interview tomorrow with two other private schools. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks

10. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 5, 2006

You said that you would give him an answer this week. You did not give him a firm yes. The answer seems pretty obvious to me. You tell him that after going through you finances, you find that you cannot afford to teach there as much as you would like to. That does seem to be the reality here. There is nothing wrong with telling them that. I agree with Upsadaisy. Free tuition does not cost them anything and any school that offers such a low salary (as mine does) should offer free tuitiuon to their staff children (as mine does).

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2006

I'd tell him that you're flattered, but I'd also tell him exactly what you told us. The salary, one you subtract your son's tuition and fees, isn't enough to live on, plus, it's somewhat of a commute, and the cost of gas is stillgoing up, so that's another added expense. Maybe he has the opportunity to "sweeten the pot," so to speak, by adding tuition breaks or other incentives.
    Kim

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

Some private schools would benefit if more people objected to their meager pay scale!!

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2006

You can say that again:rolleyes:

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 5, 2006

Alexsmom, let us know how things went with the principal.

15. alexsmom322

alexsmom322 Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

Okay, I talked to the principal. He called four times today so I had to break down and call him! He offered to 'up' the salary another $500 to help compensate for the cost of the tuition book and fees. I told him honestly I still think that it would all get eaten up with gas, and food, and day care. So I told him I appreciated the opportunity but I could not accept the position, when as it stands my entire family is against it, and everyone tells me that I should refocus my efforts on the public schools. After all, I got into teaching because there were kids that really needed me, and I found them during my student teaching experience. The private school kids atleast have parental support. I told the principal that I would post the job he offered me on facebook, and see if there were any nibbles. He was very nice, and understanding. Thank you guys for your help and support. I will post the outome of the public school principal who is fighting for me to be placed in her school as soon as I find out Thursday or Friday.

16. alexsmom322

alexsmom322 Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

P.S. I interviewed for a 4th grade position at a private "si-dity" school. Wealthy neighborhood (400K houses). They reallllly liked me. They are close by, so if public school falls through I may have that. Problem is they only have 120 kids, been open since 1987, and there are only 10 - 4th graders. I'm thinking inredibly low salary. She started off the interview saying "we can't compete with public school salaries." I hope its not lower than what I just turned down. Anybody in a school that size?

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

My school is quite a bit smaller than that.

18. alexsmom322

alexsmom322 Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

The other school who had 225 students, offered me 18K should I expect the same with this? They called me 2nite for a 2nd interview.

19. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 6, 2006

Each private school is autonomous so there is no way of knowing what to expect salary wise. But, most will be lower than ps.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

There is really no way of knowing, but I don't know of any school offering salaries under $22K.

21. alexsmom322

alexsmom322 Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

I won't be needing that private school job! I got a job with the public school system after the principal of that school went to fight for me! yipeeee! Thank God for Judy K!

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

Congratulations!

23. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 6, 2006

Super!

24. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

GREAT!!!! I'm so excited for you!!! I know it's a relief!

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

Great news, alexsmom!

26. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 6, 2006

AWESOME. I'm so glad I found this site. I am almost addicted to it.