Private/Public school

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by chris0680, Sep 22, 2006.

1. chris0680

chris0680 Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

I have a 6 year old little girl and she is currently in private school just started 1st grade she has been there for a little over a year. I am wanting to put her in a public school ,but my daughters mom is saying it will be detrimental to her not only emotionally, mentally and educationally to put her in a public school. I dont feel it will harm her to be in a public school I myself was in a public school. any opinions on this topic will help out greatly. Thank you for your time.

3. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 22, 2006

I've subbed in public schools for 2 years and have even been in them myself growing up. Fr the record, most of my education has been provided by Catholic schools, however, I did wind up graduating from a Baptist high school and what a difference that was!

Quite honestly, I prefer private to public and I do so for many reasons:

Safety: Private Schools are definitely a lot more safter than their public counterparts. There are no metal detectors, no pat downs, no regular locker searches, no local law enforcement liasion offices inside a private schools.

Quite honestly, I always fet a tad bit safer and secure in the private schools than I ever did inside the public ones and because of that, I walked away learning more from the private school system than I have the public school system.

Class Size. Class size will probably be slightly larger in a public school setting. Student to teacher ratios average 20.9 in public schools compared to 18.9 in private schools (U.S Department of Education, according to their latest published survey on student/teacher ratios based on data collected over the 1999/2000 school year).

Impact on Curriculum. In public school, teachers may feel that they have less impact on the curriculum. Curriculums are often set at state levels and teachers may not deviate from them. An exception to this would be independent charter schools, which are run somewhat like private schools within the public school system.

Aside from all that, Teachers are more satisfied with teaching and climate in the private school system than they are the public school system. See for yourself:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unless you can't afford private education, I'd re-consider your decision of removing the child from the private school and moving her over to public one.

4. chris0680

chris0680 Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

So would it harm her educationally?

5. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 22, 2006

The private education? The public education?

Quite honestly, I was doing terrificlly in the private school system. My handwriting was really good and aside from my frustrations and struggles with math, I feel that the public system has probably done me more harm educationally than the private system has. My handwriting went to pot, literally, after I transferred into a public school for the second half of 7th grade and my social problems trippled in the public school.

Thank goodness I was only in the public school system for 2 years and then moved back into the private school system. My life got so much better, socially and academically for me, after the transition back to private education.

If this was my child, they'd go into private education and stay there until they graduated high school because so many more doors would open up for my child than they did for me.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 22, 2006

It depends on the school. It is unfair for someone to generalize and say that yes, any public school would harm her educationally because that just really isn't the case.

I posted on the other thread with this same title.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2006

Harm is a strong word. I don't think harm is what any school intends to do. I myself, am looking to teach in a private school. It is my preference only because I tend to agree with the philosphies of most Catholic Schools. For me it is a personal choice based on my values and beliefs- certainly not the payscale.

I don't have anything against public schools, and would absolutely teach in a public school.

I don't think the real issue from below is " public" or private so much as it is good neighborhoods with more money versus lower economic areas where things are not so good.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2006

I LOVE the Catholic school at which I work. My husband LOVES the Catholic school at which he works. And we all LOVE the public school our two older kids attend.

There are so few absolutes. You've got to do your homework and know your own child. Is she happy in school? Is she doing well? Does she seem to be learning? Does she have friends? Does she make them easily? Are you thinking of pulling her out now that the academic year has already started? If so, does she have some friends in the new school? How do both schools score on standardized tests? Are both equally convenient? Does the private school put undo stress on family finances?

There are tons of arguements on both sides of the public/private school debate. And every school has its wonderful and its awful teachers-- your experience is largely a factor of which teachers your child gets.

I think that you and your wife need to check into the particular schools you're talking about and see what needs to be done.

9. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

I think a lot depends on what your public schools are like in your area. My children attend the best private school here b/c my husband teaches there. And we say every day how blessed and thankful we are b/c our public schools have really low test scores and lots of behavioral issues. As a matter of fact, one of our county's best HS just expelled 8 students b/c they commited armed robbery over Labor Day! And these were "good kids" from one of our more affluent suburbs. But anyway, all to say, check it out to make a good decision. Some private schools aren't great, either! (I taught in one!)

10. sschnake

sschnake Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

school choice

I have gone to private schools from grade school to high school. College was the first time that I attended a public school. I think there are plus to both sides. I am currently teaching in a public school and I can definitely tell differences between the schools. In my grade school, though it has been quite a while ago, we only have 90-100 students in the entire school P-8th. This meant really small class sizes. You received more one-on-one attention. One thing I dislike some about public schools is how standardized testing has seemed to take over school districts. Schools spend so long teaching the test and trying to their districts scores up so they can keep their funding. Where at private schools, they take these types of tests, but I don't think it had as big of an influence. I agree with the others said. I think you need to research the schools both private and public in your area and decide what it is that is important to you.

11. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Sep 22, 2006

IMO, there are 3 things which matter more than public or private:

small class size
    good school funding / adequate resources
    high parent involvement

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2006

THIS WAS MY POINT EXACTLY:D

13. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 22, 2006

I had a horrible experience in a private school when I was growing up. We sent our kids to a public school. My son did well educationally in elementary, but had some social issues. When he got to high school, he did poorly educationally, but loves the social life. Our daughter is doing well all around. I think it depends on what the public schools are like in your area. Some places I wouldn't even have considered putting our kids in public school, but we have really good public schools in our area. Go visit the public school your daughter would go to and see what you think about it. Not all public schools are bad. If you do send her to the public school, volunteer and stay involved so you know what is happening in the school.

14. NYbound

NYbound Rookie

Sep 23, 2006

Teaching at a public school and coming from a public school education, I am ALL for public schools. To me, they get exposed to a variety of people and ideas. However, if I lived in the city (I am in the suburbs) I would most likely send my child to a private school, due to safety reasons.

I would tour your local public school with her mother and discuss your concerns with the principal. The only way to know if it's right for your daughter and help the mother see your point of view is not by people (like us) telling you it's okay and won't harm her, but by going to the school and having the principal discuss those issues with you.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 23, 2006

Public or Private....
    Public requirements are mandated. In some states, private schools do not have to hire trained educators. I have a child in my 2nd grade class that attended private school the last three years. He had a non certified teacher all three years. There were no training for these women, and he suffered. He can not read at Kind. level. His math skills do not exist.

I have had students from private that are wonderful.

Ask questions, compare curriculum. Find out about the requirements of your district. I agree with some of the other posts. BOTH PRIVATE AND PUBLIC HAVE SOME GREAT PROGRAMS. Making generalizations is not healthy for anyone.

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 23, 2006

My point exactly.

17. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 23, 2006

I think it all depends on the quality of the public schools in your area. Where I live, we have some excellent public schools! The public schools around here tend to be much better than the private schools. We just had a student enroll in our school a couple of weeks ago who went to a private school for Kindergarten and was initially put in first grade at our school. She was actually put back into kindergarten because she wasn't academically prepared for first grade at our school.

I went to Catholic school(In Iowa) from 1-8th grade and then to a public high school. I liked both of my schools and feel like I got a good education in both the private and public schools, however, we had good catholic schools where I grew up.

18. chris0680

chris0680 Rookie

Sep 28, 2006

Thank you very much.i agree 100% i no it wont harm her to move to a public school just because a chart says that a private school is better. in a elementary setting she has more of a chance to socialize and get to know the students she is with all day. private schools benefit from smaller classes ,better discipline and usually high-quality instruction. BUT.... you can get that same high-quality of instruction at a public school. thank you all for replying

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2006

Chris- I posted in the General ed forum....Please keep your threads to one forum or another. Most of us skim through all the forums. You actually have duplicate replies from some posters in both threads.....a little redundant????

20. chris0680

chris0680 Rookie

Sep 29, 2006

LOL redundant??? Do you even no what that means? anyway why are u gripping?:(

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2006

As a matter of fact I do, here's the dictionary definition if you need it:

Main Entry: re·dun·dant
    Pronunciation: -d&nt
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Latin redundant-, redundans, present participle of redundare to overflow -- more at REDOUND
    1 a : exceeding what is necessary or normal

Posting the same thread in several forums here is considered more than what is necessary or normal. In fact the forum guidelines discourage it.

I also know gripping means grasping or holding tightly while griping means complaining. I was doing neither, however. I was merely asking you to follow the forum guidelines. Since you are quite new to the forums (6 posts as of now) I thought I would point out that most of us check all the forums and that posting in more than one forum makes it hard to follow the flow of the conversation. That's all.

22. 4shawnee

4shawnee Rookie

Sep 29, 2006

wow, just had a flashback to the 4th grade! Stop, it's Friday- enjoy the weekend, and step down from that pedastal that you're gripping/grasping at!
    Smokes- feel the love!

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2006

4shawnee-to whom are your referring? I was offering a little advice regarding multiple posts. And if someone is going to question whether or not you know what you are talking about they should at least spell their criticism correctly,(as in: " Do you even no what that means? anyway why are u gripping?" don't you think??? But then again maybe it was his lack of a private school education so we'll let it go.....Who's on the pedestal? not me, but if I was I wouldn't be gripping or grasping- just enjoying.....(kidding!!).... I plan to fully enjoy my weekend. (I already am!! Please take THIS post in the lighthearted manner in which I intend!!)

24. collteach

collteach Comrade

Sep 29, 2006

I think it all depends on the school. I attended Catholic school until 3rd grade, then spent the remainder of my school career in public schools. I got a wonderful education.

Now that I am a teacher in a public school, I see many students who come from private schools. Many are advanced in comparison to the public school children, mainly because they came from classes with 15 or fewer students per teacher, and a very fast paced curriculum. I also have seen many students that struggle with basic knowledge, probably because they were being taught by non-certified teachers. I have one little girl who was told she was gifted for the past 2 years by her teachers at a private school (apparently, they did not provide testing). She is barely working on grade level and is struggling in our school.

So, it depends on what is available in your area. The only thing that would make me hesitant to put my daughter (who is 2 1/2 now) in a public school is the horrible pressures of testing. It is so hard to watch little 5 year olds being expected to do things that people in my generation were not expected to do until 2nd grade.

25. 4shawnee

4shawnee Rookie

Sep 29, 2006

czacza
    pedastal- was referring to you- I pride myself on being a good speller- but I draw the line at being the spell police on these boards...you just came off as very condescending, and really- we just don't have all the time in the world to spell check on message boards- so I enjoyed your humor with the light hearted manner that you intend- but ya seemed to get a little heated about the spelling errors and I just wanted to cool ya off a bit :)
    My guess is that you didn't seem to come off that way, so my bad, have a great weekend, I'm off to some rainy cold football game- woo,hoo!

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2006

Oh no- I was pushed into the reaction by chris- the double (and triple in this case) posting of the same thread has long been a forum etiquette issue here. It's kind of like the 'reply all' instead of 'reply sender' email thing at work. You just don't need to read the same stuff over and over again or go to multiple places to follow the line of conversation around a given topic- it's redundant- and yes, I was using the term correctly so when chris CONDESCENDINGLY responded to MY post I bit on his line so to speak. I'm guilty of being goaded into it and of my own reaction but not guilty of being a spelling police- spelling police jump in without warrant- I had a warrant!! Go back and re-read the post asking if I knew what redundant even meant- that's CONDESCENDING-especially from someone so new to the forum that this thread was his one and only conversation (again, a total of 6 postings currently) I stand by my position that if he is going to criticize my (CORRECT) usage of the word 'redundant' he opens himself up to scrutiny of his own messages/wording/and spelling. I did not jump on an innocent party.
    So, stay dry at the football game...have fun...and stay clear of pedestals-(you might have been on one of your own there.....)

27. 4shawnee

4shawnee Rookie

Sep 29, 2006

Hey, whatever makes you feel better about yourself! Don't sweat the small stuff- it's a really good book, take care!

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2006

Actually, the subject of double or triple posting comes up on a fairly regular basis with new members. And normally someone who has been here a while lets the newbie know-- as czacza did-- that it makes a discussion hard to follow. The original poster is far more likely to get a real dialogue if the topic is all in one place.

So it's not really a matter of "feeling better about yourself"... it's more a matter of helping the original poster get a meaningful discussion of the question he brought up.

29. 4shawnee

4shawnee Rookie

Sep 30, 2006

Chris- I posted in the General ed forum....Please keep your threads to one forum or another. Most of us skim through all the forums. You actually have duplicate replies from some posters in both threads.....a little redundant????

I have no problem with "helping the original poster" the condescending tone came with a little redundant (four question marks)....and truthfully that's the problem with e-mail- ya don't here the tone- it just seemed unnecessary- and then her follow-up e-mails seemed to have the same tone, so I'll put it to bed- I'm sure my e-mails came across as she referred to as pedestal like too, which is not the way I wanted to come across either- Have a great weekend!

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 30, 2006

Okay, everybody. I was actually thankful that CzaCza let the original poster know about the forum policy regarding threads in more than one forum. I read it and felt no need to add to her advice.

Another way to correct this common error is to contact moderators by reporting the post and stating a complaint such as "thread posted in more than one forum". That isn't really necessary, though, if an established member is willing to point out the policy.

There was no reason to criticize CzaCza. In fact, criticism of members is prohibited here. That includes criticism of spelling errors. Members are encouraged to use spell check, though we know that many may not wish to take the time to do so. Moderators may correct spelling, in fact, they often do so on thread titles, but do not make a point of broadcasting the changes.

If anyone wants to respond to the original topic, please do so. Let's drop the controversy, though. Thank you.

31. 4shawnee

4shawnee Rookie

Sep 30, 2006

Chris,
    As many have stated before- I would definitely check out the schools in your area with your wife before making a decision on either public or private. I've experienced both and have found advantages and disadvantages of both- I truly think it all depends on that specific school(s) you have in mind. Good Luck!

32. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Sep 30, 2006

Since i didn't see the other posts I am really interested in this one....

I am a parent of 2 who works in a public school.... I am finding that the population in my area is not what I want my children to be socializing with on a day to day basis. I am trying to decide if I should start working at a private school and then have my children attend there also........ we all see this everyday in the students we have... it used to be that 80% of students had parents who were involved and supportive of their children and their teachers NOW its about 20%..... If my children went to a private school instead of the public school that I teach at; it would be(hopefully) back to 80% of students (if not more) who have supportive parents.... I want my children around the other children that are like them.... I don't want to isolate them from the world but I want them to at least have more classmates like themselves....

My husband and I are very undecisive about this... he is a state trooper and deals with the parents of the kids I teach so we seem to get the whole picture and it's not promising....
    HOWEVER i am worried about the teachers and education that my children would have in a private school... many of them in our area have little education....
    I hope that made sense... i am exhausted and am probably babbling!

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2006

Thanks alice! and upsa! 4shawnee is relatively new as well so I'm writing off the whole experience to INexperience with the forums!! (and I am having a great weekend!!) and my multiple !!!!marks are merely enthusiasm, don't imply ANY other tone at all!!!!!:D