Private Catholic School...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MrsHoot, Mar 4, 2009.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

So I am trying to apply for public/private school jobs because I JUST want to be a teacher already! =) So I've been watching both sort of job boards and there is a position that came available in K. It says you have to be Catholic. ...really? I WAS a practicing Catholic when I was growing up... does that count?

St. Michael School (K-8) Kindergarten Teacher Full Time Must be Catholic Yes St. Michael School, located at 64 Selby Blvd. Worthington, Ohio 43085 is seeking a kindergarten teacher for the 2009-2010 school year. Applicants must possess or be eligible for a valid Ohio teaching license (P-3 or K-8). Applicants must complete the diocese on-line teaching application.

Can I apply anyway? =)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2009

Absolutely apply. What do you have to lose?

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2009

I think there's some doctrine that once you're a Catholic it's rather difficult to get out of being considered a Catholic by the church, and that just doing things like calling yourself nonreligious just makes you a "lapsed Catholic". So, unless you've been excommunicated, I think you can still refer to yourself as a Catholic if you like.

My guess would be that as long as you're not planning to engage in voodoo rituals in public, you're okay. Do be aware that some schools apparently require their teachers to attend church regularly, though, so that might be part of what they have in mind.

Heck, if I were a jobless teacher in this market there's a good chance I'd apply.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2009

So, I guess the question begs, have you been excommunicated from the church? Just kidding...

6. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

LOL Not that I know of... =) And I still like the Catholic church, I'm just not practicing right now. I will definitely look over the application-- I'm sure the religion information would be on there and give the application a whirl! Thanks for the input and support.

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 4, 2009

I think you should apply.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2009

Apply.

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 4, 2009

I worked in a Catholic School for 3 years... i was called... the token Lutheran.

Go ahead and apply. I'll be applying to the Catholic Schools as well (though many around me are consolidating classes and laying off teachers... people can't afford the tuition.

10. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 4, 2009

I may be applying to Catholic high schools for science teaching jobs even though I am Jewish.

11. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Mar 4, 2009

MrsHoot, are you from the area? If so, youre really near me! What a small world! But I agree, apply! I went to a Catholic high school and most of the teachers were not Catholic. And the school you are applying to is a major feeder school for my alma mater :)

12. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

The token Lutheran-- you got some giggles out of me with that one! lnm my hubbie and I moved here because of Honda (of course) in the middle of summer last year. I will apply.

I looked at the application and the question is "are you a practicing Catholic" that is the only religious question and not one I can really say yes too... but I will apply and send a cover letter anywho.

I am just trying to cover my bases because the market is really tough here (as everywhere) and I'll consider almost any teaching job as long as it's elementary age. =)

13. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

There was an opening at my local catholic school last year. I was raised catholic and thought I would apply. But, my application said practicing catholic and something about following catholic values. Since, I was living with my boyfriend I didn't dare apply. But, that was basically my catholic values pulling on my conscious.

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 4, 2009

For that question... I would say, "No. I am not, but...." and go on about living my faith and how that is important in my life.

One of the neatest things (to me) about teaching in the Catholic School was being able to make connections (encouraging relating prior/background knowledge) through use of scripture. There had been times (in the public schools) that I would think...if only I could bring up this parable or teaching... but then, I could. It really felt like life and faith coming full circle.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2009

Apply! Good luck!

16. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Thanks everyone! I applied and said I am Not a practicing Catholic. There is a question "why do you want to teach in a C school" so I brought up my childhood and how I was raised in a C church and loved the community, etc.

Quick Q- I've got my resume and cover letter ready to go, I just need to know what I should put in the body of the e-mail I write?

Dear Mr. So and So,

I would like to express my interest in the K position at St School. I have attached my resume and cover letter for this position. I would love the opportunity to work in your school.

Thank you for your time, don't hesitate to call or e-mail if any questions.

That sort of thing??

17. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

That is what I normally put. I also include the fact that my application is currently on file with the district.

18. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

K. Thanks for the quick answer STG, I'll send it off now!

19. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

Good luck!

20. palla

palla Companion

Mar 5, 2009

Good luck, Hoot!! Sounds like you have the bases covered! I hope you get a call!!

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

The email sounds good and good luck, MrsHoot!

22. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Thanks for the luck!! I'll definitely need it. =)

23. cjven

cjven Rookie

Mar 5, 2009

I work at a Catholic School and since religion is taught in the classroom they want you to be a practicing Catholic. I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school but I rarely go to church now. If they are anything like my school they want you to be a good model and have the ability to discuss church teachings with the students. If you grew up Catholic you should know this stuff already.

24. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 6, 2009

Well the head guy e-mailed me back and said they want you to be practicing in grades K-3 because YOU will be the one teaching religion. =( VENT: I'm sure I could teach religion in a K classroom... They are Kindergartners. =P Ahhh well. Didn't hurt to try I suppose!

25. palla

palla Companion

Mar 6, 2009

I am sorry, Hoot! I understand their position, but I would be frustrated also. No matter the reason, it is hard to hear no.

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 6, 2009

That's too bad, MrsHoot :(. Of course, you could start going to mass once a month or so and then call yourself "practicing". I consider myself a practicing catholic, even though I rarely drag my butt to church. I am; however, registered with a church and do go every month or so, and when the dark stuff hits the fan, you can be pretty sure the first place I will go is to church. My church never locks it's doors, as a matter of fact, the doors don't even have locks (though the church is equiped with a state of the art security system). No matter the time of night, I know I can always go there, and it's a nice feeling. Anyway, the point being, is if you go even randomly, you can still sort of call yourself practicing.

27. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 6, 2009

I suppose that is true. =) I feel like practicing means going every week, which I don't right now. When I went to college I fell out of the practice and haven't come back to it yet. But I've been thinking about and maybe I'll try and find somewhere around here to go.

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 6, 2009

Go to a couple of different churches. There's 5 catholic churches that are closer to me than the one I go to. Two are in the opposite direction (one is only about a mile away), and I pass three, but this one feels like home. I knew the second I walked in that it was the right place for me. Of course, the scary thing is that my church is only about a 25 minute drive, so if you count the ones south of me, then there are 6 churches within 30-35 minutes of each other, and that doesn't count the couple that are a bit farther west, instead of just north/south.

29. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2009

Sorry it didn't work out. I used to teach right up the street from St. Michaels. We got some of their students in our after-school program.

When I first moved to the area I also applied to the Catholic schools. I grew up Catholic as well but am no longer part of the Catholic Church. I didn't get any calls for interviews, but they actually passed my application on to another private church school of a different denomination and I got an interview and a job offer from them. So maybe something will come of it.