Privacy Question

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2004

:confused: I work in a Daycare/Preschool facility. We have been told that if we leave a note for parents involving their child getting hurt by another child(such as biting, scratched, etc), we are never to give out the other child's name, but only refer to them as "another child."
    However, several of our children also attend the Public Schools Preschool Program and when the teachers there write similiar notes home, they always name the other child. What is the correct policy on this? Is it written anywhere? Thanks!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 25, 2004

We're not allowed to mention any other student in any of our notes, if that hleps you.

4. AndreaIL

AndreaIL Rookie

Aug 25, 2004

When I was in college, I used to work summers at a daycare facility in the toddler room. We were never allowed to name the other child either to the parents' face or in an accident report sent home.

We had to write, "Susan was bit on the arm by another child," and "Tommy bit another child on the arm," NOT "Tommy bit Susan's arm."

The rationale for this is that it keeps the parents of the child who is bitten from yelling at the child who did the biting. It also keeps the parents from the child who actually DID the biting from blaming the other child-- ie, they can't say, "Of course Tommy bit Susan. Susan is always bothering him."

Of course, this only works for the younger kids. Children who talk can tell their parents who did it, and in those cases, I have seen parents yell at the other kid, so I suppose the rationale makes sense. I don't know if there is an actual law, or if it's just good common sense, but nowadays everyone is so nuts with these privacy laws and things, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some law that said you can't name the other person.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2004

That is what we are all wondering at work...if there is an actual written rule or law somewhere either in the rule books for daycare or school. So far we haven't found any at the daycare and the director is just as curious as I am, but asked me to look into it since we get all these notes from the "school' using both children's names. The teachers are writing notes like, "Bobbie was bitten on the arm by Susi today. Does anyone know for sure about this issue?

6. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 25, 2004

I do not believe that there is a written rule anywhere but....I think it is just a common policy to not name the other child. My district advises us that confidentiality is a huge thing and that we should not share names of other involved parties. When parents ask me about the other student, I respond with, "I am not at liberty to discuss the other child due the his/her right to privacy. I would definitely enforce this same policy with your child as well and would not share information about him/her with another parent." This always seems to help them understand the situation a bit better.

TiffanyL

7. MJH

MJH Companion

Aug 25, 2004

Federal Privacy Act

You might want to check and see if there is anything under the Student Privacy Act that went into law years ago.

At my school we are not allowed to use students names. We are to use the same term "another child".

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2004

I looked up the Student Privacy Act and it appears to only pertain to those who gather student information for commercial purposes.

9. AKGuest

AKGuest Guest

Aug 26, 2004

I guess I missed something, but why would you want to put the other child's name in the reports? Tends to make parents crazy. We filled out two reports. One for say Suzi, that says she was bit, and another for say Bob, that says he bit someone.

10. lilleo13

lilleo13 Rookie

Aug 26, 2004

privacy

I tend to agree with everyone else, if you use the names of both biter and bitee it makes the parents angry and they complain that you are a bad teacher and I've seen parents get into verbal fighting over this in the parking lot. So never, never use both names.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2004

Do you think I should bring it to the attention of the teacher from the school that she probably shouldn't use both names when she sends these notes home? We never name both of the children involved, but the school system does (we are a family daycare/preschool) and several of our children are bused to them for a half day program and then back to us. They are 4 and 5 year olds. I don't think the school teachers would like us telling them that they shouldn't be doing this...

12. lilleo13

lilleo13 Rookie

Aug 27, 2004

privacy

That should be something your director does, if she is really good.