printing

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by shirl, Aug 21, 2007.

1. shirl

shirl Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

When I was a supply teacher, I noticed that in most grade 1 classrooms they practiced their printing. In the beginning of the year the teachers had chart paper with the alphabet and talked about the tallies (letters that reached the top line), and letters with tails. I was wondering if anyone else does this, and if they have any other tips as to how to ease into my printing program.

3. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

I was told by another first grade teacher that she calls lines that go to the top "telephone poles" and lines that go halfway "fence posts". She teaches letters with straight lines first, then slanted letters, then curved letters. It's my first year teaching first grade so I am just gonna do what she does. Sounds good to me... :)

4. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Aug 21, 2007

I've seen some teachers use a house template - tall letters go upstairs, small letters stay on the first floor, and tails go into the basement. So you could tell kids to start at the roof, or at the ceiling and to stop at the appropriate places. And there would be papers with little houses on them so the kids could practice.

5. autumnpumpkin

autumnpumpkin Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I have used the house template for the last two years and it has worked well. You described it great :)!

6. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone have the house template to share??? My little guys are having so much trouble with the guidelines. They need a little lesson on just guidelines BEFORE moving on with handwriting practice.

7. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I taught preK in summer school this year and the house (upstairs, downstairs, basement works well for describing the letters. I also used "circle with a stick for a and d, bat and then a ball for b, monkey tail for g, or candy cane for f. Just describe the shapes of the handwritten letters as you model how to write them, and they will get it. It's so cute to hear them say, "a is a circle with a little stick" under their breath while they write. I described m as 2 mountains and w as upside down mountains. This helps little ones as they try to memorize shapes. Q was a circle sticking his tongue out! :woot:

8. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

We draw a stick person on the lines. The top is the headline, the middle is the waist line and the bottom is the foot line. I call it the stinky feet line so they won't start letters there. y j g and p dig down into the dirt.

9. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Aug 23, 2007

I've never heard of this before - I **love** it!! Sometime the kids here in California can't relate to y j g and p going into the basement in the house analogy.

Thanks for this neat idea.