Printing color

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Jul 6, 2014.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 6, 2014

Do you print color items for your classroom? Do you pay to do so, or does your school have a color printer?

There are so many cute decorations and signs on TPT and Teacher's Notebook that are in color. I'd love to print them, but color copies are typically $.49 each (more for cardstock), and that can get expensive quick. I'd probably just choose to make my own signs or buy a similar preprinted product for less rather than pay $10 to print a cute 20 page document in color. I'm curious what others do.

3. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2014

No because I refuse to use my at-home color ink for school stuff and my school would never provide color ink for teacher use.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2014

It depends on what it is. I have a color printer, and I use it. Sometimes I have Staples print it- especially if it is important to be high quality or color accuracy matters. Or if it is heavy color- like then entire sheet of paper.
    If I print in color, it is usually important, so I laminate it to preserve it. I have my own personal laminator and it is much more 'heavy duty' than big laminators that schools buy. So I look at it as an investment.

If it is something that I will only use once, I print in black and white.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 6, 2014

I print things in color for my classroom. We have a color printer for our use.

6. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 6, 2014

I do what Giraffe said. A personal laminator (about $25) is wonderful. No waiting to get your stuff done when school starts. You can print what you need and walk in ready to decorate. Ink is expensive, but if you laminate and use it again it is worth it IMO.

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 6, 2014

A personal laminator is a great investment. I brought mine home to laminate some things I'm working on. I'll print a few color pages at home, but the majority of it I'll upload to Office Max and have them print it for me. We have color printers in our classroom, but we can only order one ink refill in both color and black once a year.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2014

I have a color printer at home and a personal laminator and use them constantly for school. The ink for the printer is about $25 for the X-Large cartridge and I go thru maybe 3-4 a year. I deduct the cost from my income tax.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 6, 2014

I do not. I have a color printer in the classroom, but due to logistical issues I CANNOT get it hooked up so that it will work! D:<

Also, I wouldn't spend the money on color ink, so I would only use it in rare cases anyway. Our school doesn't have any color printers, sadly.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 6, 2014

Teachers can't print to the color printers at school. Now that I think about it, though--I rarely use the color printer myself. I'm pretty conservative in terms of paper/ink usage.

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014

Each of our schools has at least one color printer. The school can have more depending on the size of the staff/school.

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 6, 2014

We don't have a color printer at school. We can order color copies from the district "print shop" if we want, but it takes about a week. Honestly I never bother with the print shop. If I were printing something in color it would be something I wanted to hang up, so it would just be one copy and I'd just print it at home.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2014

We have one colour printer/copier in the building, but have been asked to use colour "conservatively". I think I used it twice last year--once to copy book covers for a bulletin board display and once to print out a Wordle to display for our Grand Opening events.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2014

No, we can't use the color printer.

Yes, I print at home, but less and less because it is getting to darned expensive.

Yes, I love TpT, but many are too graphic/print intense and it woud be ridiculous to print. I think some sellers have come to that realization and offer black and white versions. I wish more did.

15. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 7, 2014

Each teacher has a printer in their room, but only the older models can print color. The school does not provide colored ink though. I buy it myself because sometimes I just want color. The school also has three big color printers, one in each section of the school, for teacher use. The ink is so expensive that we are asked to only use it for data (the graphs are color coded) and focus wall stuff. The big printer for my building is in my room, so I know what everyone prints and how often. Not everyone follows the rules for printing on that machine, but I'm not monitoring other teachers.

16. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 7, 2014

There is no color printer for the teachers to use. If I want to print something in color, I have to do it at home. I often do this, then laminate whatever it is at school so it can be reused. I'm pretty conservative with what I print at home, because color ink is very pricey!

17. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 7, 2014

Crazy fact... printer ink is one of the most expensive liquids you can buy. It can't be that expensive to produce.

"It's enough that printer ink might be the most expensive liquid you buy. Even the cheapest ink, at about $13 an ounce, costs more than, say, fine Champagne, while the priciest, at about $75 an ounce, is more costly than, say, Chanel No. 5 perfume. Check our graphic, "The Case of the Disappearing Ink," to see just how expensive printer ink can be.

But exclusive new tests in our labs show that some, even a lot, of that precious ink probably never even makes it onto printed pages. Instead, it's used to clean print heads and for other maintenance chores, typically when the printer is preparing to print after sitting idle for some time." (source)

[​IMG]

18. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 7, 2014

I have a color printer in my classroom. It is the departments, but housed in my room. I try to use it sparingly, as I don't want to take advantage of having it. I would never print a 20 page activity there. I print things at home if I am that determined to have the color. I printed my teacher binder stuff last year, because it was red and black to match my classroom.

At school, I print in color if it enhances a student's learning. That is why we have the printer anyway.

19. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2014

I print black and white and then color it with sharpie before laminating.
    I did get grumpy last year when a person from the district office printed all our PD handouts in color. So wasteful, and we don't even have that option....

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2014

The only time I ever print in color is if I plan on laminating and reusing.