printers in your room?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by fort worth gal, Aug 6, 2007.

1. fort worth gal

fort worth gal Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I just went to my new school and I was surprised that the teachers all have computers and document cameras but no printers. There are 3 computers in each room). Do you have printers in your room? My old district was in a very poor area and we all had color printers in our rooms and a 200 dollar budget to buy things for our rooms. My new district is one of the wealthest in the area I am surprised at how little the teachers get. We don't get a supply budget to buy things for our rooms, no printers, no cameras...just not what I expected from such a wealthy district.

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

We have 1 black and white printer in our room, 4 computers ( incl. mine), 1 document camera, 1 VCR, 1 DVD player, and the projector. We're supposed to get interactive whiteboards but I am not sure when. We get about $150 per year for expenses. I would say our area is not a weathly area, most likely low-middle class.

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2007

I have a doc. camera, dvd/vcr, and two computers. We have a printer in the hall that 4 class rooms are connected to. We have one color printer in the building, but I've never used it.

5. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I'm in a really small, rural school and we all have color printers. We're all given one cartridge each at the beginning of the year that only lasted us until February at least. We supposedly get $100 for our rooms, but they try not to give it to us. You can get decent printers for really good prices

6. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

I have five computers, one laptop for the teacher, bw printer, color printer, dvd player, vcr, digital camer, and a scanner. We get money at the beginning of the year but this year it will change so I don't know how much. :)

7. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 6, 2007

Last year in my classroom I had 4 computers and 1 very old black and white printer that worked about 75% of the time. The other classroom in my program had 4 computers and 1 color printer that worked about 45% of the time. They came around in June and asked what we had and if it needed to be replaced. Who knows if it will or not. Of course I am being moved to another school in the district, I wonder what will await me there...

To be perfectly honest, with the way my classroom was set up last year I thought 4 computers was a waste of space. I obviuosly needed 1 and a printer for my own purposes, and I would have gladly had 2 so that I could have 2 students on them at the same time. But for all of the space they took up, 4 was just unnecessary. I also had Pre-Kers, so they weren't writing or anything on the computer where they all were trying to finish projects. So sharing the computers was never a big deal, and there was so much other stuff in the room for them to do that nobody ever minded waiting a few minutes for their turn. I had huuuuuuuge tables that took up half of my room and I would have loved the extra space from the computers to use as a center play area. This year I plan on telling them that 2 computers is good for me and I will enjoy the extra space while the older kids can enjoy an extra computer to help them get finished quicker!

8. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I have 5 computers, a black and white printer, 1 laptop and I may have a color printer in my office (I share with another teacher) but it did not have ink last year so I never used it-- I changed rooms last summer and my old room did have a color printer as well as a black and white one. I would love a document camera....would gladly give up a computer or two for one of those!!

9. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

As the person in my building who has to go around and try to fix all of the printers in the classrooms when they aren't working, I can guess why you might not have one in your room. In my experience, it seems there is always something going wrong with the smaller, less expensive classroom printers. If it isn't the printer that is broken, the operator has unintentionally done something to cause a problem. By printing to a more centrally located laser printer, I can have more control over things. I know it is a little less convenient for the classroom teachers, but they can assign a student the job of going to get papers from the printer.

10. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

In our state, generally the schools in lower socio economic areas get MUCH more than the other schools. If they have a certain percentage of student who qualify for free/reduced lunch, then they are 'title one' schools and get lots of Federal money. On the other hand, schools in higher SES areas tend to get more from the parents...although many of them THINK that the school should provide what we need (after all, they pay lots of taxes).

11. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I just started school today in a brand new building. This is supposedly a poor district and i am not sure what will eventually end up in my room. I have two computers in my room for student AND teacher use. I just haul my laptop back and forth so I can have some security. I also bought my own printer-$35 at Wal-mart plus $25 for a cartridge and connector do-hicky. Well worth it! We will all get overheads but thay are yet to be delivered.

I try to keep in mind that this newest technology is fabulous but millions of students (includingme) received great educations with so much less:)

12. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I'm fortunate to have a color laser printer in my room. I teach life skills, so the ability to print color pictures is a must. I also have a budget of $800, but that has to go towards cooking supplies as well as classroom supplies. I don't have a tv or anything like that, but I imagine we will get them when they build our new school next year.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

We have 3 printers in the school (750 students), none are colour. I have 3 students computers in my room (Special Ed resource), but most classrooms don't have any. We do have 2 computer labs with 24 machines in each and one mini-lab with 8 computers.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2007

We all have computers in our room (1 teacher desktop and 2 student comps if we want them), but we have network printers and have to share. I don't have one of the printers in my room, but it doesn't bother me. There is one color printer in the comp lab, but we try not to use it that much. We also have 2 digital cameras that we can borrow, as well as 3 tv's on wheely carts with vcrs and some dvd players. We just have to do a lot of sharing, but it usually works out just fine! :)

15. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Aug 7, 2007

They probably are networked with a local printer for several rooms. I know that is how we did it because the cost of cartridges got to be so bad. We had a color laser and it was quicker and cheaper in the long run. I know it is a pain to go somewhere else to pick up what you print but it usually is a better quality.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

All of our rooms have at least 2 computers. Many of them have a printer for each computer. I've tried to explain about networking to one computer (some teachers are getting almost $300 in ink cartidges each year, that's not right when we are limited on our school funds).

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2007

We have a good network set up with our computers. I don't mind walking to another room to get things at all...we got brand new printers this past year! :)

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

All of the computers in our school board are networked--I can access my files from any of the schools (handy when you are at a workshop). From any of the computers in our school you can print to any of the printers.