Pringles Cans as Time Capsules

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Amers, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

Hello! I've been planning on making time capsules with my 5th graders over the first couple days of school. I was going to provide each student with a Pringles can to make the capsule. However, my fiance and I don't really eat chips, and buying 26 Pringles cans is beginning to sound like a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Instead, I was thinking about giving each group (my students will sit in groups of 4-5) one Pringles can to share. Each student will get a ziploc baggie that they can put their "artifacts" in, then all the baggies go into their group can. Is this a bad idea? I also wanted the kids to decorate the outside of their can, but if they are sharing them, I'm not sure how to go about this...any suggestions? :thanks:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

This sounds like a great idea. Serve them the chips after the project is done as a celebration.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2007

Why do you and your fiance have to eat all and supply the Pringles? Kids love them, they are cheap, and each kid could provide an empty can easily!

5. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I think it would be best to give each child their own individual capsule but that's just me.:2cents:
    Having them bring in the cans in a good idea. Or you could use paper towel rolls wrapped and decorated with bulletin board paper and tied on the ends. I did this one year when I taught fourth.

6. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I agree with Eliza. I think each student should get their own can. It will be more exciting for them that way. It should be easy for each kid to bring in their own paper towel roll.

7. blessedmommyx3

blessedmommyx3 Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I do an activity with pringles cans too - where we cover them with contact paper that looks like wood and inside are papers run on brown construction paper are writing sayings that the kids fill in that are a play on the "would/wood/tree theme - anyway - I also don't want my family eating chips - I found them at WalMart for $1.00 and buy a few at a time because it makes me feel better and I dump them out - ouch!

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

Ask for cans to be donated during the first week of school. Some students' families may not eat them, but if other families do and they can bring in a few cans, it should all work out. Especially if you have just a few extra on hand just in case.

9. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Do you have any type of open house or orientation before school starts? If so, just let the parents know you need Pringles cans.... you will get plenty. Also, you might ask around at school, someone else may already have a stash (the art teacher comes to mind).

10. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

I thought about doing that with my kids but I didn't know what we could put in them besides a writing sample, maybe "On the first day of school I felt..." Maybe a interest inventory, and then have them reread them at the end of the year to see if their interests have changed? I don't know.:dunno: What do you all put in your time capsuls?