Principals that threaten to put you back in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mami1Maestra2, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Oct 21, 2018

We have a principal that threatens to put support teachers back in the classroom if we bring up concerns.

How would you feel about this?

I personally think it's very telling- there is little respect for support (EIP, ESOL) teachers, little regard for their need in schools. Also, why would going back in the classroom be seen as a threat? Shouldn't classroom teachers be regarded with some modicum of respect and not like it's a punishment?

3. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 21, 2018

I'm afraid I don't fully understand... Are these teachers not in the classroom already? I mean, what're they doing that they're not teaching...?

4. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Oct 21, 2018

EIP teachers do not have a classroom. They pull groups of students to work with...same with ESOL teachers.

5. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 21, 2018

Oh sorry didn't see that. Sounds like poor leadership to me... I think most classroom teachers who no longer have a classroom would be happy to go back...

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 21, 2018

Maybe he’s the one who needs to go back to the classroom! Sounds like an ineffective leader.

miss-m, creativemonster and mrsf70 like this.
  7. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Oct 22, 2018

Oh yes, administrators throwing their weight around, makes you want to leave education completely.

8. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Oct 24, 2018

I guess I would need more information. From one perspective what the teacher is doing is bringing up concerns. What might the perspective of the administrator be in this situation?

I would need to know how it was brought up and what the perspective of the P was in terms of said teachers performance to have an opinion.

I once had a P say this to me when I said I wasn't qualified to teach a class he wanted me to teach. I think he thought if he threatened to remove me from one of my roles I would give in. He was a good leader but this wasn't one of his most stellar moments.

I've worked with a colleague who was shocked when she was put back in a classroom. She wasn't doing a very good job in the support role and the admin team had provided gentle feedback but they had never said, "If you don't do x, y or z we are removing you from this position." They didn't have to give her a warning but I feel like it would have been better for her if they had been more direct. Maybe she would have made the necessary changes.

9. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 24, 2018

Sadder still that it sounds as if they are using the kids as a threat. The superintendent of Schools in Philadelphia actually said as much in the 1990s when he threatened to close all of the city schools because he felt that the state was not providing equitable funding. "We'll have to send out students out to the surrounding suburban schools and believe me, you don't want our kids coming to your schools." I suppose the thought shook enough people up because the governor magically discovered new funding that would ensure that Philadelphia would have enough money to make it through