Principal won't complete observation forms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by porque_pig, May 11, 2012.

1. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 11, 2012

Hi everyone! I haven't been around the forums much lately, but I'm overwhelmed by this particular problem and was wondering if someone could advise me.

I am in my initial 3-year licensure period for my teaching license. I need several observations from my principal to send in to the district office. My principal hasn't completed them. The truth is that he never completed a formal observation--instead, he walked the halls observing our classrooms from afar and made notes later. My forms are due on Tuesday--unfortunately, it's Friday afternoon, so they definitely won't make it on time.

My question is: what do you do when you can't get your forms in on time for reasons beyond your control? Is there any way I can protect myself from potentially losing my license? I'm beginning to panic. I've sent numerous emails to my principal with no response, and I have mentioned to him several times in person that I am waiting on my forms. He told me I would have them last Monday. That date was changed to Thursday, but I still don't have them. Advice? I sent an email to the head of HR for the district who then told me to go ahead and send one of the forms on my own, but I'm a concerned about the rest.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 11, 2012

Do you have a union that can help you? This is considered a union matter in my district.

I would definitely make a note of the times that you contacted him and save the e-mails and notes. I would also send everything to HR and continue to let them know when you remind your principal.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 11, 2012

In my county, our Ps get in big trouble if our evaluations aren't done. I'd go to your mentor. If unsuccessful, I'd go to the BT person in charge.

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 11, 2012

Been there, done that!! Ugh...I feel for you! It was not a pleasant experience.

They can't hold your license just because your P is not doing their job. I would also contact someone at the state BOE and ask what to do.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 12, 2012

Contact the licensing director in your district. And the head of HR. Don't tattle, just ask them for extensions and see where the matter goes from there.

You will NOT be penalized for it - your current license doesn't expire until the end of June anyhow. But it may be a pain for you having to meet with someone to go through all the computer forms again and again. If it is this much of a push to the end I suggest you beg someone to come to your school where both your school mentoring teacher and the admin are present so ALL of the boxes can be checked at one sitting.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2012

Have you tried speaking to his secretary? A good secretary will find the way to remind him of deadlines like the one you're facing.

8. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 12, 2012

Communicate by email if feasible to build a record. This stuff makes me angry, and I make limited efforts to hide that fact. I suspect others will be nicer about it, and might get better results as a result. That's why my wife generally calls when there is something up with the insurance or whatever. I'm sort of the nuclear option. Good luck: make a paper trail.

9. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

Make sure to document all of your attempts to remind him.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 12, 2012

I'm the nuclear option in our household. My husband makes me make those calls!

11. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 12, 2012

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have tried a few of the options you all mentioned. My mentor has been unable to help thus far (he brushes her aside as well). I have saved every message I have sent to him. Our school is very small, so he has no personal secretary. I also contacted HR for the district, and they have been very helpful. I didn't think about contacting someone in the department of education--I'll look into that!

Thank you all for your help and encouragement. I'm feeling a little less stressed about it all!