Principal Speaking at Open House

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by janlee, Sep 12, 2007.

1. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 12, 2007

The principal at my school informed the teachers that he would not make any opening comments to parents at our upcoming Open House. Parents are to go directly to the classroom in order to hear a presentation given by their child's teacher. This will last for approximately 30 minutes. There will be a l0 minute break in which parents can go to another classroom to hear the teacher give their 30 minute presentation again. (this is being done so parents that have two children in the school can visit each classroom) Our school is only 1st - 4th. Never in my 20 plus years of teaching has a principal not spoken to parents at an Open House. We teachers feel that he is setting a poor example of how our school is being run. Do other schools have an Open House where the principal "is absent"?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 12, 2007

Ours didn't. As a parent, I prefer it that way. But the Principal is out in the open greeting and talking if anybody wishes.

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Sep 12, 2007

Well our principal is present but doesn't say much. Our principal even goofed and left out a teacher when she introduced all the teachers. Yikes! Needless to say the teacher felt horrified. I agree with you that a principal should say a few words of welcome, even if its siply introducing all the teachers.

It sounds like it's a small school. We run our open house differently. We are a large school 1000+ students, with 8 teachers in each grade level, so we split the open house into a few sessions and evenings. Ex: Pre-K thru 1st is the 18th at 6-7pm, 2nd grade is at 7:15-8:15 on the 18th. The on the 19th we have 3rd grade go from 6-7pm and 4th and 5th grade going from 7:15-8:15pm. If we had everyone come at once, it would be mass chaos and parking is at a premium even when we break the school up for the event.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 12, 2007

Ours used to make a video taped speech and we would show it on TV in our classroom. Our school was too large for him to do it otherwise.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2007

In past years, our principal used to gather everyone in the gym to introduce the teachers and give a short "welcome". Now, however, with almost 750 students and over 50 staff members, that isn't practical. Both our principal and vice-principal will be present for the informal BBQ and the more formal teacher presentations.

7. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 12, 2007

I've never had my principal speak at Open House. We have over 900 students in our school and the families come at various times for the 2 hour open house. At open house, we have a book fair, and students and parents visit classrooms, look at work and talk with teachers....very informal!

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 12, 2007

My daughter's principal doesn't speak. He just stands in the front where you can pick up the schedules and greets everyone. I like it that way, too.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2007

Our prinicpal is introducing the staff and most likely giving a small intro, but the majority of the speaking will be done by the teacher

10. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Sep 12, 2007

The principal does not give an opening speech in the school that I teach in or in the school that my daughter attends. It's probably because the time is about a 1.5-2 hour time frame and parents can come and go on their own schedule. Some people would miss the speech anyway because they didn't come right at the start time.

11. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

I've been at schools where they did it both ways. I prefer the being introduced by the principal way but maybe that's on the way out because it does add another half hour to the time you have to be there before you actually start the spiel in your classroom. I miss that community feel of the teachers all together in a few rows and all the parents behind you and clapping for each grade level and it is kind of fun and exciting. Just starting it in your classroom is kind of a downer and you feel kind of all alone, right? I remember that feeling too. I really prefer the whole school together to hear the principal welcome everyone to a great new year. :up:

12. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 13, 2007

Our principal speaks at Back to School Night but not at Open House.

13. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 13, 2007

This sounds exactly like every open house I've ever been to - in both schools where I taught as well as where I attended school as a kid!

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 13, 2007

That's what I was thinking. My son's school has both and I knew that was the fundamental difference.

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007

My principal doesn't speak at either except for on the announcements. People are usually in a hurry because our students are split between 2 schools (k-3 & 4-5) and have 2 schools to visit.

16. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007

Our principal speaks for about 10 min or so. Then she lets the teachers leave to get settled in thier rooms. She finishes up her speech and then the parents come down to the classooms.